• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel Vintiques Series 63 issue

andrewwoz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:21 PM
Reaction score
So I got some wheel vintiques 15x8 OE style wheels from classic industries and when I got tires mounted the guy told me the rims were bent (I believe this was noticed on the wheel balancing machine)

After looking at them closer the center bore looks like it was stamped incorrectly on both wheels (pics attached) from one side to the other the lip/flare is uneven. The wheel was mounted on the balancing machine on the center bore and tightened with a center nut, I am thinking if the wheel was mounted with a lug centric mount it would not be bent. It seems like the center bore really isn't that critical with conical lug nuts.

I'm trying to find a tire shop with a lug centric balancing machine but wanted to see if anyone else has ran into this.

IMG_2695.JPG

IMG_2696.JPG

IMG_2699.JPG

Jack up both rear wheels (jackstands too!), put it in gear, let it idle, and take a look. If they wobble, return em. If they don't, take it to someone else to balance. Ignore tire movement, look closely at the wheel.
Edit: the guy balancing them should have showed you the problem before he took em off the balancer.

Jack up both rear wheels (jackstands too!), put it in gear, let it idle, and take a look. If they wobble, return em. If they don't, take it to someone else to balance. Ignore tire movement, look closely at the wheel.
Edit: the guy balancing them should have showed you the problem before he took em off the balancer.
You can also set another stand right in front of the wheel. Take a small stick or piece of molding rest it on the stand and slide it towards the rim edge. You'll be able to see the runout.

If the center hole doesn't fit over the center of the axle flange, gets stuck, then that might be your problem. If it does go on without any interference then the center of the wheel is probably bent. Send it back. Most won't take them back if they have been painted.

I had a set of wheels made by an individual who sells them. The center wasn't true with the rim.

I ordered another one from Summit. It was better but not perfect. My tire shop allowed me to watch as they spun them on their balancer. They deal with a lot of aftermarket wheels and stated its rare to find a perfect one.

it's my understanding that those "63" wheels use salvaged centers with new rims. i bought a set a few years back. one bent or didn't have the center welded in correctly. always spin check anything those guys make before mounting a tire or painting a wheel.

Can only be balanced with lug centric, but ones I received with no jigged correctly and the bend spoken of was lowered during assembly, poor quality control, plus once you mount tires , they won’t take them back! Maybe classic will but wheel vintiques will not ! So bought replacement wheels from classic ckd runout and if were poor quality sent them back till I had finially received four that were at least usable!

I had issues with 2 that were sold by Summit, mounted and supposedly balanced by them. Had abad shimmyatspeed. Took it by the tire shop and it was way out. Sent it back on their dime. Wash rinse repeat. I won't buy another from WV.

If the center hole doesn't fit over the center of the axle flange, gets stuck, then that might be your problem. If it does go on without any interference then the center of the wheel is probably bent. Send it back. Most won't take them back if they have been painted.

I had a set of wheels made by an individual who sells them. The center wasn't true with the rim.

I ordered another one from Summit. It was better but not perfect. My tire shop allowed me to watch as they spun them on their balancer. They deal with a lot of aftermarket wheels and stated its rare to find a perfect one.

That will ruin a Wheel Bearing quick.

That will ruin a Wheel Bearing quick.WV Sucks! Cannot even make a rim aftermarket Crap! Not far from China I guess? “Their Money is worth more than yours!” America use to be # 1! Now we cannot even weld a wheel together?

IMG_1349.png

Any wheel a guy buys new that is bent, send it back ! I am lucky in that being a machinist with access to a lathe and bridgeport, I am able to make steel wheels wider, as well as narrower and change centers. I usually get them within .010 in both the lateral and radial planes. After they are welded together, I mount them on an old Snap-On balancing machine and add weld "dots" to balance the wheel. Not a particularly difficult job, but time consuming making any center press fit correct, and then "tapping" the hoop around until I get the runout correct. :drinks:

Auto Transport Service
Back