• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When did you start working on cars?

I was always mechanically inclined. I loved erector sets, and I was always taking things apart and reassembling them. When my older brothers Jonny Lightning wired remote control semi quit working I was the one that found the broken wire and fixed it. I also replaced the valve cover gaskets on my mom's Chrysler New Yorker and put a timing chain in my dad's Tradesman van when I was 13. I remember when I was 15 I had a friend that was 16 people paid him to work on their cars. I always wondered why because I had to help him most of the time.

Helping dad repair the taxi cabs mom & dad owned back in 1969-1977; 67 & 68 Fury 1 & 3s, 318 1 bbl, learned points, condenser, plugs, cap rotor wires (withouth crossing!!) and watched him do 4 wheel drum brakes. Started at age 5/6. THANK POP!!

1970. Put first wrench to car on my cousin Ronnie's dirt car in the gulf station uncle Ruben owned. I was 6. Made a good living and 50+ years later a comfy retirement from bending them. R.I.P to a good man.
If not for him. Id probly be a book keeper
Ronnie_McBee_7-19-1986.jpg

First car I worked on actually belonged to my dad (I just got to drive it when needed) and was a 1966 Belvedere 6 cylinder 3 on the tree. It was in 1977 that I put some new sheet metal over the rusted out lower quarter panels.
Then in the summer of '77 I bought MY first car, a 1969 Roadrunner 383 with an Air Grabber Hood. What a POS, but it was all mine. It was that fall that I pulled and rebuilt the engine. Took a month, but I got it done before the snow started to fly. Drove that car for less than a year before trading it in on '76 Dodge Dart Sport, console shift that held a beer can most perfectly when a coaster was placed over the sliding ash tray. Had way too much fun in
that car. Answer: April 1977

Auto Transport Service
Back