• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When your day has real suck potential...

patrick66

Local time
4:59 AM
Reaction score
I was going to drive in a poker run this morning with the Coronet. At the car wash, I'd noticed that the LF wheel was missing a lug nut! WTF, over? I thought "well, ****", and went back home after washing the car, which is a little over a mile. In the garage, I found another matching nut and got it on there. Come to find out, two of the remaining four were loose! Mind you, I used a torque wrench to get the final tightness on the nuts when I installed the wheels last October. I have about 900 miles on the wheel/tire combo. Two weeks ago, I put over 340 miles on it on a very nice run, at speeds up to 100 mph on the vacant State roads we were at.

Let's check the other three wheels, shall we? Each had two loose nuts, for a total of eight! I retorqued the wheels and things appear to be fine. Thankfully! What kinda freaks me out is the fact that this was going on two weeks ago and I had no idea. I'm glad I made that side run to the car wash, or I'd have likely had real problems today on that poker run!

So you say, OK??? Check your lug nuts occasionally, especially after a wheel swap, or after new tires are installed. One of those things that are taken for granted, right?

I was going to drive in a poker run this morning with the Coronet. At the car wash, I'd noticed that the LF wheel was missing a lug nut! WTF, over? I thought "well, ****", and went back home after washing the car, which is a little over a mile. In the garage, I found another matching nut and got it on there. Come to find out, two of the remaining four were loose! Mind you, I used a torque wrench to get the final tightness on the nuts when I installed the wheels last October. I have about 900 miles on the wheel/tire combo. Two weeks ago, I put over 340 miles on it on a very nice run, at speeds up to 100 mph on the vacant State roads we were at.

Let's check the other three wheels, shall we? Each had two loose nuts, for a total of eight! I retorqued the wheels and things appear to be fine. Thankfully! What kinda freaks me out is the fact that this was going on two weeks ago and I had no idea. I'm glad I made that side run to the car wash, or I'd have likely had real problems today on that poker run!

So you say, OK??? Check your lug nuts occasionally, especially after a wheel swap, or after new tires are installed. One of those things that are taken for granted, right?
what kind of wheels ?

I always go around mine about once a month. I try to hit the u bolts a few times a year also. My cars do see extreme abuse though.. lol

Yeah - you don’t want your nuts falling out.....

Seriously - that gives me another thing to be paranoid about. I’m going to check mine tomorrow. Glad nobody was hurt - that could have had a whole different outcome.

Do you still have driver's side left hand thread lugs or have they been swapped to right?
I try and check them every 500 miles. Takes a few minutes walking around with the torque wrench. And the axle u bolts which are torqued at 45 ft/lb

American Racing AR710 silver powder-coated 14"x6". The lefts were swapped to right when I did the disc brake conversion in 2003.

Tighten your nuts. Oh, and go balls to the wall, always! Don't step on your dick, and don't get your tits in a wringer.

WTF. Never had a circumstance like this since buying the car in 88. Careful torque, and one recheck shortly thereafter. That's it. Factory Rallyes.

American Racing AR710 silver powder-coated 14"x6". The lefts were swapped to right when I did the disc brake conversion in 2003.

Tighten your nuts. Oh, and go balls to the wall, always! Don't step on your dick, and don't get your tits in a wringer.

and cover your ***!

I check mine almost every time I take it out. I find the LF (LH threads) loosens up for some reason (Torque Thrusts).

If they are aluminum you should recheck at least twice at 25 mile intervals after a wheel is removed. 16 years at sears and that was there standard then.

You might want to check and see if your wife has increased your life insurance and is keeping the premiums paid up. My wife always makes sure to keep it paid up............................MO

Auto Transport Service
Back