• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are people buying their pushrods?

adk-roadrunner

Local time
8:36 AM
Reaction score
I've done all my measuring and I need 9.150 pushrods for my new 440. I'm having a hard time finding 5/16 pushrods at 9.150 that aren't through oiling. The closest I've found are from Smith Brothers they are through oiling but the ad says restricted. I'm running Edelbrock E street heads, comp cams 21-671-4 .484 ex and .484 int, and PRW 1.6 ratio stainless rockers. From what I've read running through oiling pushrods can cause oil pressure problems and I don't wanna deal with that. The pushrods need to be ball end on both ends and I'd like to stick to 5/16 for clearance in the heads. If someone knows where I can source these I'd appreciate it Thanks.

Smith Brothers Pushrods are custom made if you call them. Mine are solid, not through oiling.

Oil flow is restricted through the lifter if the lifter even has oil flow, (most do these days) and oil flow is controlled by the pushrod being pressed into the rocker & lifter... So it's not like the oil flow is a big internal leak that will lower oil pressure... So why search for pushrods that don't exist? A little extra oil in the valve train is a good thing IMO... The parts are highly stressed & seem to fail allot more frequently that rods & mains... Give them some oil...

X2 on Smith Bros. Call them and they build to your specs. I’ve done it for 2 different motors and perfect both times!

Smith bros are the head of their field
Mancini & hughes engine’s have kits u
Make ur own( solid Lift) just takes patience aren’t hard to do
I feel all the above takes constant inspection (top n bottom)I can’t believe street driving & thinner oil would cure that
I myt have 9.15 pushrods if you use cup and ball l know someone will
Last order to Smith brothers was $300
Plus

I use Smith Bros. same as most above. call
them up and give them your info and Bam!
some of the best pushrods will show up at your door.

Just bought mine from Manton. Great pushrods and quick turnaround.

I ended up ordering from Smith Brothers 5/16 pushrods .83 wall thickness non oiling 9.150 custom rods 190.00 should be done by the end of the week.

I've done all my measuring and I need 9.150 pushrods for my new 440. I'm having a hard time finding 5/16 pushrods at 9.150 that aren't through oiling. The closest I've found are from Smith Brothers they are through oiling but the ad says restricted. I'm running Edelbrock E street heads, comp cams 21-671-4 .484 ex and .484 int, and PRW 1.6 ratio stainless rockers. From what I've read running through oiling pushrods can cause oil pressure problems and I don't wanna deal with that. The pushrods need to be ball end on both ends and I'd like to stick to 5/16 for clearance in the heads. If someone knows where I can source these I'd appreciate it Thanks.
Go 3/8

Already ordered and I didn't wanna deal with clearance issues with my heads. The passages are not very big on the E street heads and I'm not gonna be running any crazy spring pressures. Smith Brothers said what they are making me will be good to 700lbs. I gave him my cam specs and what heads I have and he said these will be great.

Already ordered and I didn't wanna deal with clearance issues with my heads. The passages are not very big on the E street heads and I'm not gonna be running any crazy spring pressures. Smith Brothers said what they are making me will be good to 700lbs. I gave him my cam specs and what heads I have and he said these will be great.
Easy is as easy does.

I ended up ordering from Smith Brothers 5/16 pushrods .83 wall thickness non oiling 9.150 custom rods 190.00 should be done by the end of the week.
I had issues with 3/8 on 440 Source heads on my 512 build. Went with Smith Brothers 5/16 no problem. Fast ship. Fit perfect. 440 source will sell a single 3/8 rod i used it for checking length and clearance. Helped with both.

My pushrods are out for delivery as we speak. Shipping has been quick especially by the new standard since covid. We will see how they look tonight.

Good question about using the through oiling pushrods with hyd lifters. Does anyone know for sure from experience that there is an issue, or to the contrary, with running pushrods with through holes on a big block?

Good question about using the through oiling pushrods with hyd lifters. Does anyone know for sure from experience that there is an issue, or to the contrary, with running pushrods with through holes on a big block?
In my research I found that it can lower your oil pressure and that they aren't needed with the way our shaft mount rockers are oiled. I decided to go non oil through.

I believe some aftermarket lifters are not capable of pushrod oiling.

Auto Transport Service
Back