• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where can I put breaker bar 71 318

Oppose.o

Local time
3:12 AM
Reaction score
Where do I put the breaker bar to try and crank it? The engine is locked up. 1971 Plymouth satellite 318
IMG_20220831_191047032.jpg
IMG_20220831_191053129.jpg
IMG_20220831_191206475.jpg
IMG_20220831_191212166.jpg

1 1/4” socket on balancer bolt, hard to get to with AC

If it’s locked up remove the 4 shroud bolts, slide it over the fan. Drain and remove the radiator then shroud. Give yourself some room to work without damaging the radiator. Bolt is inside that lower pulley.

You can also try from underneath if you can get under there, I have found this sometimes works better as you can get a foot on a tire to help with leverage. I'd recommend removing the spark plugs to give yourself all the advantage you can. On that note, it may be possible to free it up by pouring ATF into the cylinders and let them soak. Some people use ATF and diesel, some use Marvel Mystery oil, etc. I am sure others will chime in with their concoctions.

Vinegar will dissolve the rust sticking the rings to the bores

If it is locked up, do the right thing and just remove it.
What will you gain by possibly breaking something or causing more internal damages just to get it to possibly move.
If it is locked up it needs a rebuild. No magic in a bottle is going to make it run correctly.
If you insist on this , more leverage turning the flywheel/convertor with the proper sized tooth wrench. but it not not end well.

If it is locked up, do the right thing and just remove it.
What will you gain by possibly breaking something or causing more internal damages just to get it to possibly move.
If it is locked up it needs a rebuild. No magic in a bottle is going to make it run correctly.
If you insist on this , more leverage turning the flywheel/convertor with the proper sized tooth wrench. but it not not end well.

If he hasn't put a bar on it how does he know it's locked up? Could be a bad starter.... Could be a locked up water pump & the belt prevents the crank turning.... In my world I diagnose before pulling an engine..

yup....... cut those ratty belts off and start eliminating things

I know I cannot be the only one who has freed up a stuck motor or 2, had one 318 that was locked up hard, I soaked it for weeks and slowly it began to free up until finally it rotated. Threw plugs into it and got it running, it ran great (after a few new parts) and eventually I sold the car, the guy who bought drove it for years.

Hmmm. I made the mistake of assuming. I said" if it is locked up " Not how to check it. He didn't say what he did so nobody knows if he tried to use the starter or whatever. Engine in a bottle is just snake oil. I guess a few people out of a lot more have gotten lucky I guess, and had no bearing or ring /cylinder damage freeing up a frozen engine. Just not my style to hope it stays together.
Imagine all the detail that goes into building a motor, making sure everything is perfectly clean, properly lubricated, clearances etc... but that goes out the window when they sit. Then it is ok to just hope and pray...
Good luck.

You might also consider removing the timing cover to see if the chain broke and is lodged in the crank sprocket.

I wouldn't use a ratchet. Easy to strip the teeth.

That's what breaker bars are made for.

Thats funny because I have several "made in the USA" ratchets with stripped teeth... I'd love to say that USA made is superior but that isn't the case anymore despite what many would like to think. I am not against USA made products but far too often the quality isn't there despite the much higher cost.

Don't want to hijack the thread and turn it into a tool discussion, to that point I agree not to use a ratchet, rather use a breaker bar.

If he hasn't put a bar on it how does he know it's locked up? Could be a bad starter.... Could be a locked up water pump & the belt prevents the crank turning.... In my world I diagnose before pulling an engine..
If he doesn't know it is "locked up" why did he say it was?? Have to assume people know what "locked up" means. But hey maybe it really means "ROTATES VERY SLOWWWWWW.

It will also dissolve the pistons. Just so everyone knows this beforehand.
As was said if it's "locked" or even if you get it to turn in the vehicle, you for sure will want to open it up BEFORE you try to fire it up. I also say if ya want to try and save the engine PULL IT OUT, no short cuts, as they can get expensive!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back