• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where did you and your car go today

Where I live now we sit out on the driveway at a neighbors a few times a week and BBQ. There's usually about 10 of us and it's always a good time. Before going yesterday I took my 65 out for a few hours. The weather was great and the car ran like the wind. Stopped at the end of my street and took this picture.
20200418_154203.jpg

Started Satellite and warmed it up, ran like crap. Let it sit while I pumped a couple of gallons out of my Dodge. Think was to let the engine heat soak, usually that works. Not today. Going to throw a fresh set of plugs, don't remember when they were changed, see if that's it. Think it's only part of the problem. Took it up and down the street a few times. When the revs were up seemed Ok. If not the rear carb is coming off for a cleaning or I'll put a kit in the 4140s that's date coded for my car.

She's up on jack stands, Had a R/R wheel cyl. seize ( got two). Shoe's on that side showed tiny cracks ( got the set), I'm no longer a New York State Vehicle Inspector. May run out of friendly ones. So while things apart decided to put on brake cables (ordered them), Knowing I would never need them (strip only car) I must have thrown out the brake struts- goes between the shoes and levers - connects cables to shoes, Had to find them, Took a bit ( called dessert valley in luck), but No foot pedal assembly in car, was drag only now going street only, (ordered it From desert valley also) took a while but got it, Has a 10 point cage in it, so had to pull seat and left vent assembly to get at the area to install it, but did not come with fastener for cable to the pedal assembly, had to fabricated one from a disc pad pin from foreign car caliper-so it would be strong enough and not get jammed in the tight quarters where it had to work, do to body stiffeners being welded to frame rails no place to secure front cable under car - fabrication again, got all cables in, but cable "equalizer-connector' not available, went to home depot to get 1/2" r/angle bar stock to fabricate one, figured I would install the 10 lb. PSI residual pressure valve in rear brake system - it was a single bowl master with four wheel drums - I converted it to 10.5 inch dart disc system up front - dual master - no power - so used 15/16's bore master (did this a few years ago - got tough stopping it at the big end with 10.5 inch drum brakes on both ends @ 125-129 MPH, so figured I bleed them before finishing E-Brk stuff - I was waiting for more parts, but no fluid coming out of cylinders - Diagnosed- Flex hose at axle NG, it is still the original from 66, I must have crushed it went I pinched it off , but found it -it's in OHIO. So go back to E-Brk cables, due to springs becoming S/S Mopar springs -Requires new front hangers- and I also moved them inboard of "frame" so no where in back to hang those cables to connect to the front! That stuff was cut out to relocate spring perches. Will have to fabricate again. Back to home depot 1/8 x 1 1/4 inch flat stock, but due to headers and exhaust (3" system straight piped & down spouted before axle - wanted to make sure I could here the Delta 40's going down the road) it (exhaust) will have to be "adjusted". So stuck now till brake hose shows ( hope Wed.) Got about 20 hours in that stuff alone, most of which is yelling at myself and the car as each time I get off my back and out from under the car to get something and then climb back under it's the wrong size, length, etc. climb back out and under and it starts again with now I need a !!!!!!!!cuking ________. And when this "stuff" is all done It won't be able to be seen, and won't make it any quicker. Probably add 30-40 lbs. to car.

took a run to the grocery store for some steaks. on the way out of the parking lot a woman driver was coming in the lot and headed right for me, and started running her mouth like I was in her way. That cabin in the woods sounds better all the time.

Wife and I went for a cruise yesterday around the area that we just moved too. I was raised in the area, but my wife is new to some of the sites. First was the old Chrysler plant that my father and I worked at. It's gone and a new world is being built on top of it. All that is left is a sign, I put up years ago and a part of the original employee gate and fence entrance. The history that came out of there is unforgettable and some of you own cars now that came out of there. It took me to a place filled with memories and as I sat there staring down a road that went to the old employee entrance and a road that was also use to hold midnight grudge races that brought cars from all over the country, I felt as if a piece of my family had been tore down also. I looked at my wife and she knew what was going to happen next. I dropped the hammer and the car just jumped up in the *** end as the tires started boiling and yes I left that small part of me there on the ground as the car started pulling away and leaving a big part of my life in the rear view mirror. We all have that place or time in our lives that was great or bad that we will never forget, I left mine yesterday.......... The river out back of it and down the street is high and brings back memories of swimming in it some 50 years ago.... Next came, Lake Hill Speedway, about 3 miles from where we live now. It was a race track in Valley Park, Mo. It was Built as a 1/5th mile dirt track, in 1965 it was lengthened to 1/3rd mile, then in 1966 it was asphalted and Closed 1981. NASCAR drivers Rusty Wallace, Mike Wallace, Kenny Wallace, and Kenny Schrader got their start here. Here in these picture you can see the old repair shop that is still there that was used to work on many cars that raced there. They could drive their cars from there to the track. The track is gone and new homes stand where history was once made. After the drive we went up the street to our biweekly BBQ and started talking about the old track and stories of years gone by. Our neighbor we BBQ with said yes, that it was a great place years ago. She told stories that I didn't even know about and It turns out her sister dated Rusty Wallace and was the last women he dated before he got married to his now wife and man did she have some stories . What a day!!!
20200426_205628.jpg
20200426_143528.jpg
20200426_143655.jpg
20200426_143709.jpg
20200426_143546.jpg
20200426_142653.jpg
20200426_144834.jpg
20200426_144900.jpg

Took my lovely "Bee" for a drive today, took the car too ! Essential travel, had to go to the bank drop box! Best Monday in a long time... and the Dodge has never failed to bring us home! Don't think I've ever had an old car out on the streets in April before. Last year on this day we got 4" of snow!
beedriveapril272020 001.JPG
beedriveapril272020 003.JPG
beedriveapril272020 005.JPG
beedriveapril272020 008.JPG
beedriveapril272020 009.JPG
beedriveapril272020 013.JPG
beedriveapril272020 014.JPG
beedriveapril272020 016.JPG
beedriveapril272020 017.JPG

Took Cora out for a few hours today. The weather was great and I took the highway to a few back roads by me and drove to some of my old stomping grounds. Since moving back to where I was raised, it's great, but you can't go back.
20200506_153443.jpg
20200506_165348.jpg
20200506_155136.jpg
20200506_155245.jpg
20200506_154544.jpg

Ulli, Bill's Automotive was owned by Bill Schrader, Kenny's dad. Eddie, Kenny's brother, owns it now.
And, AFAIK, Lake Hill Speedway is still there, its under water. A friend who used to live at the corner of Marshall and Wynstay knows the guy who owns the property and was allowed to fish there.
I remember going there with my brother back in the 60s. That's when my brother hung out with all those guys you mentioned.

Ulli, Bill's Automotive was owned by Bill Schrader, Kenny's dad. Eddie, Kenny's brother, owns it now.
And, AFAIK, Lake Hill Speedway is still there, its under water. A friend who used to live at the corner of Marshall and Wynstay knows the guy who owns the property and was allowed to fish there.
I remember going there with my brother back in the 60s. That's when my brother hung out with all those guys you mentioned.
I swear, the world keeps getting smaller by the day!! I know they pumped it dry for the reunion, I think it was 2008. I'll have to asked my neighbor, she still has programs and pictures of them all together from back in the day. Thanks for sharing!!!

Went to Lowe's for some garden mulch and then grabbed some lunch at Triangle Diner(it's one of those retro 50s/60s-style joints)

View attachment 845008
Oh to be out again! I would go as "I" believe they ( politicians) have no clue, just doing anything so they can say they saved the world. Adolf Como has not lifted anything yet. New flex plate should be here next week, once it's in will take the camera ( GoPro7 )and take a few. Have hard enough time with this thing. Will have to "study up" on using it again.

Auto Transport Service
Back