• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where the heck are all the used 14x5.5 large bolt pattern steel wheels at?

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:08 AM
Reaction score
Found a pristine set of original 66 hubcaps for the Satellite I bought that has Magnums on it - thought over time I would put together a set of stock steel wheels, blue lines and hub caps for it. Started browsing for some 14 x 5.5 large bolt pattern steel wheels thinking they were probably giving them away to get rid of them and it looks like instead they are getting as rare as hens teeth and some are priced like they are some rare mag wheel. These must have been on the majority of B and C body Mopars sold from what, early 60s through 69/70. What's the deal?

Just a correction the bolt pattern should be a 5 x 4.5" which was common also with the majority of Ford cars back in the day.

The 66-67 wheels are harder to find, as they used the larger 9 inch cap. 68 up are the smaller cap, and more available.

finding a 66-67 with the big caps and 5.5 is even harder. mostly High performance cars. The regulars had 14x5.0 width.
The full size 14x6's in that style are a find, as they are reversed to the Inside. the handling and ride is superior.

62 -65 wheels share the large cap size, but have also dowell pin holes in them for the older rear ends. but they still work. I got a set for my GTX that way.

You can have new rims made with the new centers that are available.

Just a correction the bolt pattern should be a 5 x 4.5" which was common also with the majority of Ford cars back in the day.
Be aware that the Mopar wheels work on Fords, but the Ford wheels do not work on Mopars. The center hole is too small. It hold the wheel out enough to make the lugs loosen up. I found this out the hard way back when I was a teenager.....

There also may be many in junkyards, holding cars up off the ground.
Mike

Found a pristine set of original 66 hubcaps for the Satellite I bought that has Magnums on it - thought over time I would put together a set of stock steel wheels, blue lines and hub caps for it. Started browsing for some 14 x 5.5 large bolt pattern steel wheels thinking they were probably giving them away to get rid of them and it looks like instead they are getting as rare as hens teeth and some are priced like they are some rare mag wheel. These must have been on the majority of B and C body Mopars sold from what, early 60s through 69/70. What's the deal?
Have you ever started a wanted thread? Just sayin'

No, from my browsing Ebay and the "for sale" section on the forum my initial impression was it would be a waste of time other than maybe for a single wheel. But a couple people have responded by PM that they may be able to help me out so looks like my initial assumption was probably incorrect and I posted just out of bewilderment . So I guess they are around - most people must just not see much of a demand for advertising them and moving them on. From this it looks like a WTB ad would have helped.

Also, I have some friends locally who are building Mopars and that I help out in their shop. They have been liquidating the estate collection of a bunch of old Mopars and parts for the last year or so. I asked them to see if either they or the estate might have any such steel wheels still. Unfortunately, both he and his wife just came down with the Wuhan and are pretty sick right now so it will probably be a little while before they can look.

But, if not, I have a couple leads I can follow up on.

Thanks for all the replys.

Ford wheels have a smaller center hole. Bought a pair 15x7's put then on had a hell of a time getting them off.

I bought a set of 14x6 wheels. They are in the attic with a set of the stock hubcaps from my 66.
I think mine are later 70s wheels . Once the hubcap is on it, you cant tell.

i MIGHT put them on ,,,,,But not anytime soon . I wanted them as a just in case someday idea down the road
For now I have 15x7 chrome magnums with really no plan to change anytime soon. Although I am thinking a set of redline radials next spring.
Even though my car should technically be blue streaks . I think they would would look really out of place on a black car with red interior

Here is one of the Original Wheels (at least I believe this to be an original wheel) that came on our 66 Coronet 500. It looks like they are14 by 5 inch?? Best, Brian

IMG_5109.jpg
IMG_5111.jpg

Brian - yeah, they do look like 5" wide. I guess the 5-1/2" wheels didn't get wide spread use until later than I was thinking.

Brian - yeah, they do look like 5" wide. I guess the 5-1/2" wheels didn't get wide spread use until later than I was thinking.
I have some 14 inch rims that take the 10 inch caps.

I’m using full spinner hubcaps. Maybe I should more correctly say wheel covers. Need correct 14x5.5 reflective of what Satellites would be fitted with in 66.

Thanks

Last edited:
Where the heck are all the used 14x5.5 large bolt pattern steel wheels at??????

Answer, same place all the stock steering wheels are ...." Mosher's, crazy mark( Welby's Car Care), & the rest of the hoarders"....

A few cautions, make sure the lug seats are not damaged, very common and just an FYI for guys looking for 15". The centers are the same for the 14" and 15" they 15" outer has a step down in the stamping to fir the 14" center. Made lots of 15 " rallys' back when you couldn't get them and the 14" were as common as hubcaps. Actually used 15 Chevy Blazer take off wheels and cut the welds from those and 14 " Mopar rally's. Simple jig setup and Voila ! 15 X 7 Mopar Rally wheel.

Auto Transport Service
Back