• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to buy a car?

I didn't even think of that, having forum members check it out for me. I'm not looking for a perfect car, so I don't need too experienced of an eye.

How do you determine the market value of a classic car. There are some price guides but those don't always tell the whole story.
Acquired a decent 'eye' for cars having done a couple of restorations and knowing body experts that have showed me what they know; BUT lol, those guys can be amazing what they see that I miss. Last fall when I was re-doing my truck getting a nice rust-free box from the SW with some dings and such, the body shop owner was looking it over as we talked about repainting it and I wasn't all that fussy since it is my daily. He pointed out some imperfections "See here and over there" he says. I'm looking where he says to look then says "Ya won't see them cuz you're at the wrong angle and and standing too tall". Sure enough change position and they were noticeable.
I've gotten to know the guy well over the years just a great guy and he said come look at the '67 GTO he had in the shop partially stripped down to quiz me on the imperfections. It was fun and while I found several he pointed out a few more. The owner of the goat had spent a ton having another shop restore it a few years earlier doing a poor job.
Another thing to be aware of is cars have their favorite areas where they rust...like the GTO behind/under the rear window. Guys on the forum can tell you about this so if you're hunting for a particular car be so informed.

Acquired a decent 'eye' for cars having done a couple of restorations and knowing body experts that have showed me what they know; BUT lol, those guys can be amazing what they see that I miss. Last fall when I was re-doing my truck getting a nice rust-free box from the SW with some dings and such, the body shop owner was looking it over as we talked about repainting it and I wasn't all that fussy since it is my daily. He pointed out some imperfections "See here and over there" he says. I'm looking where he says to look then says "Ya won't see them cuz you're at the wrong angle and and standing too tall". Sure enough change position and they were noticeable.
I've gotten to know the guy well over the years just a great guy and he said come look at the '67 GTO he had in the shop partially stripped down to quiz me on the imperfections. It was fun and while I found several he pointed out a few more. The owner of the goat had spent a ton having another shop restore it a few years earlier doing a poor job.
Another thing to be aware of is cars have their favorite areas where they rust...like the GTO behind/under the rear window. Guys on the forum can tell you about this so if you're hunting for a particular car be so informed.
Great post. Funny, I did a case years ago where the new owner had to spend $17k just to "correct" issues with a GTO that was just "restored".

People (Us) we all want bargains.
People want a $10,000 paint job but want it one a car they can buy for $2000.
People will want a perfect paint job on a cat that they think they want as a show car. But then they find they really just need a solid decent driver!

I know a friend of a friend who has gotten bitten twice. He bought a "rust free" 71 chevelle. Apparently when he got the car, he spent lots of money fixing rust. Told me it would cost more than my first house to buy it. The second, he bought some hot rod t-bucket thing that had a super charged small block. That thing spilled its guts all over the road because the engine wasn't built for forced induction.

maybe (?)
spend more upfront
& get the most complete car as possible
for your budget, maybe even save longer to get a better car
a far more complete decent car
& enjoy driving it, while you work on it every so often
get far more pleasure than, paint/body jail or machinist jail
or never-ending rust repairs, because you were 'initially cheap'

Or;
maybe try & find someone's mostly finished project
they gave up on or ran out of $$$
you see & hear it more & more, people think
"they're going to get rich on doing a resto"
(the Mecum watchers syndrome, they see $$$ signs, but don't have a clue)
& they sooner or later bale (?)on it, sell when it starts getting hard
or above their tools, shop or skill levels or adding up, too expensive
let them take the big hit
, buy it right

it's out there, you just need to look
there are tons of them if you really look for them
& Then put your own personal touches on it
many have more in it than they can get for an unfinished project
there's good & bad in that venture too
You just need to know what you're looking at
& what it will take to make it your own style...

-------------------------------------------------------------

1st & foremost IMHFO
try & get something as complete as you can too
all them lil' parts & trim or interior etc.,
will $100 or $1,000 you to death with these 50-60+ year old cars
If you can even find the parts, or time looking & shipping costs today...

you will be way ahead of the game
than buying something dirt 'cheap' & spending a crapload
on all the lil' stuff the car didn't come with

good luck

Last edited:
When I inspected my Hemi GTX prior to purchase, I brought a close friend who is a Ford guy. He likes Mopars, has driven all of mine, but he doesn't have my emotional involvement. He has built numerous high quality Ford projects, knows good body work, knows engines. I know the Mopar numbers game, know their trouble spots, grew up with original cars. I talked numbers with the seller, all were legit, car was well documented with complete history. My buddy went over the sheet metal and cosmetics. He told me to buy the car immediately. I waited three days to get past the emotional stuff, then closed the deal. Win win for all involved.

maybe (?)
spend more upfront
& get the most complete car as possible
for your budget, maybe even save longer to get a better car
a far more complete decent car
& enjoy driving it, while you work on it every so often
get far more pleasure than, paint/body jail or machinist jail
or never-ending rust repairs, because you were 'initially cheap'

Or;
maybe try & find someone's mostly finished project
they gave up on or ran out of $$$
you see & hear it more & more, people think
"they're going to get rich on doing a resto"
(the Mecum watchers syndrome, they see $$$ signs, but don't have a clue)
& they sooner or later bale (?)on it, sell when it starts getting hard
or above their tools, shop or skill levels or adding up, too expensive
let them take the big hit
, buy it right

it's out there, you just need to look
there are tons of them if you really look for them
& Then put your own personal touches on it
many have more in it than they can get for an unfinished project
there's good & bad in that venture too
You just need to know what you're looking at
& what it will take to make it your own style...

-------------------------------------------------------------

1st & foremost IMHFO
try & get something as complete as you can too
all them lil' parts & trim or interior etc.,
will $100 or $1,000 you to death with these 50-60+ year old cars
If you can even find the parts, or time looking & shipping costs today...

you will be way ahead of the game
than buying something dirt 'cheap' & spending a crapload
on all the lil' stuff the car didn't come with

good luck

This is exactly what I have been thinking. On the form a few months ago someone had to sell their almost complete 66/67 charger project for less than 20 grand. If something like that comes up again I will be all over it. A complete running car that I tinker with is a good idea. Missing Interior parts scare me. I can't imagine buying a car with no interior or a badly weathered one.

The best deals in the Mopar universe for running and driving cars are the C bodies. Many of them have been treated kindly over the decades. That being said, a 23 year old person might not want one.

Where to buy one? Wander over to FCBO and see what is advertised. Also, the members can give you an informed assessment.

The best deals in the Mopar universe for running and driving cars are the C bodies. Many of them have been treated kindly over the decades. That being said, a 23 year old person might not want one.

Where to buy one? Wander over to FCBO and see what is advertised. Also, the members can give you an informed assessment.
I got nothing against the C body, I forget they exist. My thing is the after market isn't quite there. I want a modern drivetrain but not a lot of companies making stuff to swap in Gen 3 hemi and a 6 speed. That means I have to go into territory that is not as widely documented. That doesn't mean I won't take a look though. 69-61 chrysler 300s are gorgeous

Those who resto cars have to go back to our cave man days – meaning tapping our hunting skills, lol. This is spending hours, days, even months searching for parts. Used to be swap meets, calling people posting on Hemmings mag, bone yards, asking around, then came internet surfing (wonderful thing for finding parts). So many resources today…suppliers to obtain parts that was not as available years ago. My 1st restoration was before the net was around. Seems I spent as much time searching for parts as I did actually building the cars. If all else fails…then ya have to get creative designing/making stuff. Ahh, da memories!

^^^^ I agree. But back in the day, we had so few resto parts but we could go to a bone yard and find some good OEM parts!!!! The old car hobby was so much more fun back then. And actually find a good B body at a good price!!!:lol:

^^^^ I agree. But back in the day, we had so few resto parts but we could go to a bone yard and find some good OEM parts!!!! The old car hobby was so much more fun back then. And actually find a good B body at a good price!!!:lol:
Yep AGREE. It was fun when the yards had old cars and ample parts to strip. Like a lot of us, wish I knew then…remembering parts I COULD a globbed onto; but didn’t. You could take a bucket or Radio Flyer with the tools you figured you’d need and go hunting in the yard to your heart’s content. Like a kid in a candy store. Miss those days.

I agree. But back in the day, we had so few resto parts but we could go to a bone yard and find some good OEM parts!!!! The old car hobby was so much more fun back then. And actually find a good B body at a good price!!!
Miss those days.
I'm right there with you guys.
But at this age junk yard shopping isn't as much fun. 25 years ago There were still allot of rear wheel drive Mopars.Few and far between now.

I totally agree with WileERobby!!! When I was young, I made this mistake. I still wish I hadn't made it because then I lost about 5 grand. I think it was the day I became older. Actually, it all depends on a company, its reviews, and its location. Take a look at this skyline gtr for sale. What do you think about it? Is it a really fair deal or not? If the company doesn't hide its location, contact information, and other private information, there's a 98% probability that this company won't scam you. I've bought about 5 cars online, and I always pay close attention to the reviews. Sometimes I even call the people who bought the cars on a certain website to ask them some questions to make sure I can trust the company. So, that's it.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back