• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which compressor regulator?

old guys rule

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:40 AM
Reaction score
I have an air compressor rated at 130 PSI the original regulator was broken and I replaced it but with the new regulator I can only get it up to 110 to 1:15. Would this be the phone of the compressor, 25 years old, or the cheap regulator? If it's the regulator how exactly do I go about choosing a new one to get at least $130 PSI?

Is the gauge on the compressor accurate? or the regulator gauge could be off.

The regulator can be adjusted - there is the main connection to the tank and then there is a line (usually flexible) that triggers the shutoff. There is an adjustment at that line.

IMG_4806.JPG

IMG_4805.JPG

I have an air compressor rated at 130 PSI the original regulator was broken and I replaced it but with the new regulator I can only get it up to 110 to 1:15. Would this be the phone of the compressor, 25 years old, or the cheap regulator? If it's the regulator how exactly do I go about choosing a new one to get at least $130 PSI?
If it's an oil bath compressor and it's been maintained it's most likely a regulator issue. If on the other hand it's an oil-less compressor the nylon, teflon, or whatever they made the piston rings out of is most likely worn out.

So you replaced the governor/pressure switch or the regulator? If the pressure switch what’s the psi range on it?
the small tubing that Stanton has a pic of is the unloader valve that relives the pressure off the pump so it doesn’t start under a load and has nothing to do with the cutoff pressure. Ever noticed when the compressor turns off you hear that short hiss of air? that comes from the pump and lines leading into the tank.
A check valve between the line from the pump to tank prevents the air from leaking out through the unloader valve.
To adjust the pressure switch remove the cover and there’s a nut or a screw turn it a half a turn usually clockwise
to increase the cutoff pressure depending on the actual switch you might need to go counter clockwise.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back