• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which engine paint color looks correct to you?

Ran into a similar issue this week. Painted my 1972 440 about a year ago with Mopar blue paint and it looked really good. Bought some more this week with the same part number P4349217AB. The older spray can says Authentic Parts and Accessories along the bottom of the can and the new one has the Dodge logo, Chrysler logo and Jeep logo on the bottom. The new paint has a turquoise color and the original was more blue. The difference is very noticeable, not even close. Did the original 1972 440 blue have a strong turquoise look? I understand that this subjective but I thought I'd ask.

I used the Mopar brand on my 318 and on the valve covers, I intended to replace, I just got overspray on top of the OEM paint. That provides a direct comparison on the same surface in the same light.

I can't really tell the difference so I'm happy.

Also keep in mind that the plastic and the metal could be absorbing the paint differently.

Ran into a similar issue this week. Painted my 1972 440 about a year ago with Mopar blue paint and it looked really good. Bought some more this week with the same part number P4349217AB. The older spray can says Authentic Parts and Accessories along the bottom of the can and the new one has the Dodge logo, Chrysler logo and Jeep logo on the bottom. The new paint has a turquoise color and the original was more blue. The difference is very noticeable, not even close. Did the original 1972 440 blue have a strong turquoise look? I understand that this subjective but I thought I'd ask.

Same experience here, the only correct color was in the original P4349217 Mopar paint. Used it on my 440 around ’09, ordered though local dealer. Tried to get more a few years ago, ordered the original number, received P4349217AB, paint within is Turquoise NOT Corporate Blue, returned and ordered more thinking it was a flute, same thing on the following cans. Did a dealer search in the original number, was able to locate a couple of old stock P4349217’s. When I painted the 400 had to use Dupicolor, shade too dark in opinion.

I think the one on the right is a closer match - but as many have mentioned above - go to an auto paint jobber with one of the parts you wish to match color with and they will get you to the promised land. Being a purist must be painful at times.....

I painted my 68 440 Hemi orange because I like the color better than the stock turquoise.

I'll second a photo match.

Our relatively small area has a young guy that has been 100% dead on with his matches of some oddball Mopar colors for me.

You just need an 8 inch by 8 inch flat surface, which is kinda hard on an engine.

if you have a can of the good stuff, paint a 12" square on flat sheet metal, and you can hae a never ending supply in the brand of your choice.

This method also compensates for wear and oxidation, so you can match pretty much any existing paint.

Auto Transport Service
Back