• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which Hgh-Torque Mini Starter ?

Vermont Rock

Local time
9:52 AM
Reaction score
70 Road Runner, 383, 4 speed.
I'm overwhelmed with the variety of mini starters being offered. The Powermaster makes pretty believable claims, but .... ?
Any suggestions ? I don't plan the new motor to produce more than 450 h.p.
Thanks, Rocket

Ive had good luck with using a standard magnum starter. Smaller in size and has more torque.

Factory mopar-mini. Never had an issue with one.

go to auto part store and get one for a 94 Dakota with V6 or V8...they are all the same starter....I have one in my car..spins faster and no issues

Just discovered "dbelectrical " on eBay. They sell the exact same starter as 440 Source but for $63. with free delivery. New.
Thanks for all the help, Rocket

Just discovered "dbelectrical " on eBay. They sell the exact same starter as 440 Source but for $63. with free delivery. New.
Thanks for all the help, Rocket

Thanks for this Vermont Rock. Does this starter have any issues when used with Headers? I doubt it, but thought I'd ask.

I won't know for a couple months. I'm pulling the motor this weekend & going through it with an Edelbrock Power Kit ( heads, intake, cam, etc. ) I bought the car this past May & although it was running well with no smoke, I didn't know what was inside the engine. So this is a winter project.
But... after reading the above comments, I looked around and have great confidence in 440 Source. Comparing theirs with the one from dbelectrical, I saw they were identical. Received it in about 3 days. Considering this is the starter that 440 Source sells, I don't foresee any fitment obstacles. ( Yup. How many times have we said THAT ! )

I have the 440 Source mini. Fits in my 68 GTX just great. Works great as well. Specs are good on it. The Summit mini didn't fit with my headers while the 440 Source fit much better. Inexpensive as well.

Hot Rod has a small write up in the Rescue section about how to pick a starter and what to look for in started efficiency and the numbers they should pull.....on pg 110, Jan 16 issue but the Chrysler mini should serve you well.

Wish I'd heard about db electrical a few months ago. Got my mini-starter from Mancini for 2X the price.

i use a starter for a 1999 dakota.and it turns over my 440 with 12.5-1 compression with no problem.it has the same part number as a mopar perf. race starter.you can get one over the counter at advance auto for $90.00 and some change. been using one for years.

Another one for D B electrical. Mine works great. Fit with my Doug's and TTI's. You do have to remove the terminal extension post, like others have done. That's the black Bake-o-lite piece you see in the pictures.

Another one for D B electrical. Mine works great. Fit with my Doug's and TTI's. You do have to remove the terminal extension post, like others have done. That's the black Bake-o-lite piece you see in the pictures.

x2 ^^

Auto Transport Service
Back