• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which is better and why? Old 440 or newer 6.4?

Go new hemi so it’s more fun, maintenance parts are cheaper and available, better fuel economy and reliable. Oh abd don’t forget the overdrive trans

440 or crate engine is pretty much the same price anyway. when you factory correct this or that.

Based on what you’re writing here I would guess is probably gonna cost maybe just to get the car running with everything you’ve described mechanically I’m estimating anywhere from 15 to 30,000 Justin labor.

You are looking at 14-15k for parts to do a 6.4 swap with a new crate engine, exhaust and a tanks Inc tank, plus labor figure 10 grand because you know the brakes and frontend need rebuilt. Labor could be more depending o the shop rate. The 440 will be 3-4 grand cheaper, as it needs everything too, both was need a trans rebuild. I like both way, a 6.4 should get an overdrive trans. It depends if you really want to drive the car anywhere and never have to work on it 6.4 all the way. Figure that out, what you really want and go from there. As far as value, 6.4 swapped drivable cars bring good money too. Be realistic about what parts and work you really need, not just the engine. Get a piece of paper and make 2 lists with realistic prices and compare. I wish I had 6.4 swapped my superbird with a/c, and made it a highway star....fwiw. These cars are way funner driven to the middle of nowhere where nobody has seen one. The fact the 6.4 will run even on 87 octane fuel if it has to helps also.

Last edited:
You are looking at 14-15k for parts to do a 6.4 swap with a new crate engine, exhaust and a tanks Inc tank, plus labor figure 10 grand because you know the brakes and frontend need rebuilt. The 440 will be 3-4 grand cheaper, as it needs everything too, both was need a trans rebuild. I like both way, a 6.4 should get an overdrive trans. It depends if you really want to drive the car anywhere and never have to work on it 6.4 all the way. Figure that out, what you really want and go from there. As far as value, 6.4 swapped drivable cars bring good money too. Be realistic about what parts and work you really need, not just the engine. Get a piece of paper and make 2 lists with realistic prices and compare. I wish I had 6.4 swapped my superbird with a/c, and made it a highway star....fwiw.
Well said brother

There is a lot of personal preference here but the difference to me is this car is a r/t...born with a big block and nothing else. If it were a 318 car throw in a 6.4 and some r/t badges. But a genuine r/t anything but a big block or hemi I would be disappointed popping the hood. Hiring it done dollars and time will be double for the modern engine upgrade or more...best guess.

Last edited:
I think we need some pictures of that R/T. Lets see what we are all speculating about.

Old cars are meant to be driven also. I have over 232,000 on my 70 Charger 440 Sixpack R/T S.E. with over 55,000 on this engine. I drive it everywhere, weather permitting.
I only have 70,000 on my newer 12 Challenger R/T, so far.

It's a shame you are not in Oklahoma, as I can recommend three different Mopar-specific shops in OK to do the work you want.
Out of curiosity and future reference who would those 3 be?

I had an opportunity to put a 6.4 into my 'GTX that is not even close to numbers matching. But my decision was easier being it meant pulling a period correct 440 (that I'm guessing is making 400-425 HP) that runs very well. With the knowledge that I'm capable of screwing up something that didn't need fixing. Lol. But had it been a fair starting point of either engine build? I might still favor the 440. Just for the sound. Below is the car at idle. I've seen and heard a 6.4 in a '69 GTX. Just doesn't sound as sweet.

You can work on a 440 in a Walmart parking lot at 10pm with a small amount of hand tools. Anything happens to the 6.4 you'll need a tow truck.

A built 440 will give you a lot more seat of the pants joy than a 6.4 ever could.

Tom

This^^^^^^.
A 6.4 with a 727 will suck 3200 rpm on the highway all day long without the sound deadener they put in these new 4500# cars. Without the close to factory power train control module you will have a bitchy 6.4 on 87 octane.
A gutted roller 318 car ,sure put the 6.4. a package HP car from that era no.

You also don’t need anything fancy to put a 440 in. I built my car under a tree in the dirt.

801292F0-4B55-410D-9743-CDC34E89D0A5.jpeg

EC4F7A01-818D-46E6-99DB-20C49CBE7F0B.jpeg

568683C4-E806-4FD6-A528-5379E923475A.jpeg

I would go with a 440 / 727. Simple, fun and done .Almost any transmission shop can go through a 727 and it won't break the bank. As far as the 440 goes you could have yours rebuilt or do a crate motor and almost any local shop should be able to do that, 440 out,440 back in is no big deal. I would think that more shops would be willing to do the work if you already had a crate engine ready to go so that they are not tying of their valuable shop space for very long.

Here is how TrickFlow suggests you top off your 440 10.5 compression short block, and what you can expect at the flywheel. You'll likely need to save some budget for the trans + rear to accommodate.

trickFlow240_Kit.png

That would not be a very good motor for a daily driver on pump gas. If you wanna go that route a 6.4 with headers, a single 4 intake, and a locked down cam makes 605 horsepower. The 6.4 has better heads.

I would go with a 440 / 727. Simple, fun and done .Almost any transmission shop can go through a 727 and it won't break the bank. As far as the 440 goes you could have yours rebuilt or do a crate motor and almost any local shop should be able to do that, 440 out,440 back in is no big deal. I would think that more shops would be willing to do the work if you already had a crate engine ready to go so that they are not tying of their valuable shop space for very long.
That’s debatable because after covid everything went up. I ditched my 904 because they wanted 2k to rebuild it so for 3500 I got a a833 w od and everything needed to convert the car to manual.

At the time 2020 people said I paid too much now I see the same kit selling for 5500 or more

There is a lot of personal preference here but the difference to me is this car is a r/t...born with a big block and nothing else. If it were a 318 car throw in a 6.4 and some r/t badges. But a genuine r/t anything but a big block or hemi I would be disappointed popping the hood. Hiring it done dollars and time will be double for the modern engine upgrade or more...best guess.
No it wouldn’t. I think either motor is a great choice but the truth of the matter is parts are getting harder to find. New motors are cool because they also take a lot of the hassle on maintenance but if I see a new hemi in an old car it’s still bad ***!! Shows the evolution of 50 plus years

I had to go to three stores to find a filter for my 70 olds cutlass stock 350 rocket but for my 69 ls swapped camaro I find anything at any grocery store

269D298F-12F2-4AED-B5B5-2709A0C7B156.jpeg

Simple answer from me:
If it's an actual original R/T car, the decision has already been made.
As a "pedigree" model, a good steward needs to put it together as it was originally.
That's part and parcel of the responsibility of owning a model with prominance -
not to mention, market value is better with it as close to original as possible.
(Plenty of research data out there to prove that point; easily found via searching).

There's nothing wrong with building a car any way you like, of course - that's what
the non-pedigree models are for. You actually will enhance a lot of those type models'
values by modernizing drivetrains and such on them.

I know I'm not alone (again, the data supports that) when I walk up to a car at a show
(say, a '64 GTO, for example) and see a beautifully done car - then see someone has
swapped in a late-model LS-whatever in it and shoved seats and a steering wheel out of
some custom supplier to boot.
Instant disappointment to me....on to the next car, because these cars are special because
of what they were.
How they were built, what they were like originally to drive, how they looked and sounded -
that is what I want to see in any old ride, especially a pedigree model.

Just my .02.
Que the "it's his car, he can build it any way he likes" consternation to follow...

I'll bet I could find a couple of stamping letters and I would have a HP block, through in a correct date code cast into the side and that is about as good as it gets for a '67. Not that I care about any of that but I know some people like to have it just so.
A 6.4. is a bad motor, the heads on the stock truck 6.4 will outflow just about anything. As always hemi for the win.
But, I think the car is dictating the engine choice.

Auto Transport Service
Back