• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which kind of concealed doors have the least trouble

Most reliable concealed headlight doors

• Vacuum

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Electric

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters

Randall Miller

Local time
9:22 AM
Reaction score
Just curious....which doors are the least problematic? Electric or Vacuum? Is it clearly one better than the other or debatable? I did a search and didn't see an obvious answer. Feel free to delete this if it's a dumb question.

Having both with no problems, I would say more of a car by car basis.

One huge advantage to the ‘70 Charger and electric doors is that you have no vacuum lines to leak
Low vacuum from a big cam has no effect. The drive motors are found in many other cars too.

One huge advantage to the ‘70 Charger and electric doors is that you have no vacuum lines to leak
Low vacuum from a big cam has no effect. The drive motors are found in many other cars too.
You don't need those expensive vacuum headlight switches either.

Really just curious. I bought a nice 70 and like it and learned they were electric and have read about gremlins some people have with them. Also, a lot of times cars evolve and get better with production years. I just wondered if electric was decisively better or if the vacuum was simpler.

70 headlamp doors are pretty simple systems imo. My buddies 66 is a bit more complex as the entire bucket assembly rotates and has micro switches.

The electric are much less problematic.

One motor and a torsion bar.

The vacuum setup on my stock 69 works flawlessly.

I've had a bunch of 68 & 69 Chargers & never had a problem with the vacuum headlight doors opening & closing.

Auto Transport Service
Back