• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which website would I have a good chance of finding vintage photos of a specific race car from the New York region?

fullmetaljacket

Local time
10:07 PM
Reaction score
I'm looking for photos of a friend's car, a '62 Savoy Max Wedge stick car called "The Bakers Special". It's originally a Brooklyn car and was red from the factory with the grey interior and then was painted black with metal flake/lace paint sometime in the late 60's or early 70's.
Which is the best website to have a look at? Fingers crossed.

Try fb for car/racing groups that are situated geographically were The Bakers Special was known to race. Then try the specific tracks, looking for the professional track photographers who may have that car in their photo files. You may have to ask about certain time frames. Good suggestion from DeltaV above.

Is the ‘62 Savoy still around?

One of our members , cant remember his name is from the Queens area. He drives a early B Blown Hemi car and goes to alot of shows on the Island and cruises. Races it also. Also think he has or is in a group ( L.I. needs a Drag Strip). He would be the one to get ahold of. Also the National Raceway site has some archives. I would love to find out where My old buddy Paul Mochedies and his Moe Levy Mustang are. Boy bringing back some memories. His name will come to me.

Facebook NY National Speedway. Has tons of vintage pics. Sunday Sunday Exit 70 Center Moriches, Now wall to wall houses and people.

Try fb for car/racing groups that are situated geographically were The Bakers Special was known to race. Then try the specific tracks, looking for the professional track photographers who may have that car in their photo files. You may have to ask about certain time frames. Good suggestion from DeltaV above.

Is the ‘62 Savoy still around?
Yes it is still around and street driven right here on the mean streets with its crossram manifold and all.

I hate Pinterest, but sometimes it leads you in the right direction;

Yeah Hemi-its is a cool guy. Promised Me a ride in his Beast if I ever get back to LI. Floral Park born and raised. Used to race with my Buddy in his 68 Black Hemi R/R on the Clearview before it was finished. That was a wild scene trailering rails in and NYPD could care less. Back when NYC was worth living in.

Yeah Hemi-its is a cool guy. Promised Me a ride in his Beast if I ever get back to LI. Floral Park born and raised. Used to race with my Buddy in his 68 Black Hemi R/R on the Clearview before it was finished. That was a wild scene trailering rails in and NYPD could care less. Back when NYC was worth living in.
I didn't do Clearview much, but almost every other "spot". Did you run elsewhere ?

I didn't do Clearview much, but almost every other "spot". Did you run elsewhere ?
Cross Bay Blvd. Didn't get into Brooklyn much. We would start at Alley Pond Park to meet up and then head out to the Jones Beach roads. No cops at night and the world was our Oyster Or Clam. If you know where APs upper lot was we would rally race the walking paths at NIGHT, in a Hemi R/R. There were no people walking and if so the Hemi let them know we were coming. Hard to pass on them paths. Crazy *** kids we were. Never wrecked. Still keep in touch with Joe. I was his wrench on a few of his cars. 70 SS 454 was a fast one too. I could never afford one of them fast cars just a 67 4 door Biscayne 283 field bomber. Cars like that were cheap think I paid $75 and it was rusted to the guts by 73.

Cross Bay Blvd. Didn't get into Brooklyn much. We would start at Alley Pond Park to meet up and then head out to the Jones Beach roads. No cops at night and the world was our Oyster Or Clam. If you know where APs upper lot was we would rally race the walking paths at NIGHT, in a Hemi R/R. There were no people walking and if so the Hemi let them know we were coming. Hard to pass on them paths. Crazy *** kids we were. Never wrecked. Still keep in touch with Joe. I was his wrench on a few of his cars. 70 SS 454 was a fast one too. I could never afford one of them fast cars just a 67 4 door Biscayne 283 field bomber. Cars like that were cheap think I paid $75 and it was rusted to the guts by 73.
I'd been to Cross Bay a few times. Didn't run there, just a spectator. After hitting Pizza City or the Bow-Wow.

Auto Transport Service
Back