• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

White smoke

I see this comment all over the web. Seems like everything I do to the carb is just costing me money with no guarantee that is will be fixed. When it ran rich for you did you also have the smoke out the exhaust? What 4 bbl / intake combination do you recommend?

thank you
My Charger was a 318 2bbl originally and I tinkered with the carburetor frequently over the years knowing that a 400 b motor was coming. I drove both the Charger and my “donor car 4 years and then the issue disappeared. Now that lovable little 318 and the donor car are gone.
Mild to moderate black smoke and a nasty flat spot were always a problem with that little carburetor.

270959F4-ECFB-4094-AD00-88DA6FF353E6.jpeg 952E3B0F-CE07-422F-A922-7C8F30F8D826.jpeg

Last edited:
I always thought white smoke meant a new Pope had been chosen.

It does sound like there is coolant getting into the cylinders if it is actually smoke.
We have a board sponsor who is proficient in rebuilding carbs. Send it to them and it will be right.

blue smoke is oil, white smoke is water, black smoke is fuel , I don't know if you've ran it long enough to clean out, I just put a 360 in my daughters ramcharger and it blew white smoke for 15 minutes, had me kinda worried cause I didn't build it, bought it off a guy who built it for a car he never put it in , but it cleared up and runs good and no more smoke

I always thought white smoke meant a new Pope had been chosen.

It does sound like there is coolant getting into the cylinders if it is actually smoke.
We have a board sponsor who is proficient in rebuilding carbs. Send it to them and it will be right.

From the research I have been doing, coolant leaking would produce a white smoke that would have a sweet smell. It is also more of a steam type that dissipates quickly. If you put your hand up to it it would leave residue on you hand. The smoke I get is bluish and has a very clear fuel like smell.

Auto Transport Service
Back