• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who else did something like this as a kid?

Absolutely… We tied what I think was called a green machine plastic wheels and pivoted in the middle behind a dirt bike and flew down an asphalt road…

On the rare ice days in Texas, a laundry basket and a 4 wheeler was great, until you get swung into the pipe fence the neighbor had
:thumbsup: :rofl:

Dad had ’53 Chevy we called “the Lump”. He had a parts car for that ‘53 and he took the hood off of it and used that for a sled. Took us down seasonal roads in the winter, pulled behind his ‘68 C/10. Always wore a helmet of course LOL.

We always did stuff like this pulling saucers or a gt sno-racer behind a snowmobile. Lots of fun and no, nobody wore a helmet. How the hell did we all survive?

When we were in college, 4 of us (at the same time) crouched and held on to the back bumper of my buddies Dart and we "skied' on our feet. He drug us around and fishtailed around the frozen streets up in the Pocono mountains. At one point we hit a patch of cinders and wiped out. Don't know how fast we were going but it felt fast enough as we rolled and tumbled to a stop in the ditch!
Growing up we called it "skitching".

We did that...my mini bike and the neighbors big wheel... and when we killed that we found another. nice long rope and the street driftin we did was crazy, the big wheel was more fun than the mini bike.

DSCF3987.JPG

DSCF4000.JPG

DSCF4001.JPG

Volkswagen bug hoods were the best. We wrapped more than one around a tree.

We used the early 50’s Chevy truck hoods for toboggans because we didn’t have mini bikes or a real toboggan. Great thing about them is they would slide down the hill winter or summer and we used the tractor in the summer to pull them back up.

Went back by there and that whole field and hill are all grown over now 55 years later

Cliff Ramsdell

Back roads, snow, VW with 6 sleds tied together one behind the other. Pictures, 1966, could just afford the gas for the VW.

Behind a VW Bug on a skate board with a ski rope on twisty 2-lane blacktops. No safety gear. Absolute blast!

yup as well as grabbing bumpers of cars on a snowy day just i didnt have to walk down the street

We would get all 9 of us boys together up in the woods and right at the bottom of suicide hill there was a sapling. We would sling a rope around the top and haul it down to the ground. One of us would get on the tree facing the hill and the rest would let her go. Short flight to land on the hill and roll back down. We later added a snow sled saucer to the flight and you got extra points if you landed ON it and stayed ON it back down the hill. We were all skinny little dudes about 8 or 9 years old...great fun.
EDIT: Saw that tree a few years ago, has a three foot thick trunk now and is about 40 feet tall. lol.

Last edited:
sounds like fun . we use to climb trees and make them bend so we could go tree to tree without touching the ground

56 Chevy hood was what we used a lot. That's all we could get our hands on and went to West Beach just down from Galveston where there wasn't hardly any cops. Found out real fast the first time that not wearing shoes wasn't a good idea. That thing would get hot in a hurry! Getting fish tailed out into the water usually ended up being not good too lol

Like this stuff
I would have done it on a Huffy Stingray, jumping kids laying on the ground
or jumping garbage cans, at the end of Cobblestone Court, in Concord Ca.
we all lived, I was more a mid 60's kid thou
I love that meme
Smiley American Kids 1970's.jpg

I love this meme
Smiley 70's kids having fun we didn't know we would be the last.jpg

Yep upcountry usually when it snowed
tow anything behind a mini-bike motorcycle 3 wheeler or quad
garbage can lids were cheap
take cars or 4x4 trucks & sleds or towing people on skis/sleds too
my dad's old Pinto & snow discs, was nuts, in our lower field/pasture
really wet meadows, almost anything you could think of
we towed each other
some crazy **** on the water too
a 'wooden gate' like 4'x6' dogeared redwood, standing up surfing it
or the canoe or surfboards behind the boat 'was common',

then we got an idea lets lay on them,
my 6'8" metalflake green honeycomb surfboard at this time
& haul as 'thru boats' making tight turns/whipping you around
(with like a 50" ski-rope IIRC) see who could do it the fastest,
they (my 'alleged friends', in the boat) never could throw me,
in Tahoe Lake
I was scared 'what would actaully happen', if I fell off going at those speeds
thru around people & boats etc.
(thank god, no-one got seriously hurt)
'we did, some truly stupid ****'

we as kids did tow a 'flexy racer/flyer'
(laydown steerable sled with wheels/sort of friction brakes),
behind my Taco-44 mini-bike
could do about 40mph
down our gravel driveway about a 1/4 mile long each way,
whip it around at the end
& go the other direction, there was a rise/bump in the driveway
you could get serious air, going towards the house at speed
until my older sister lost her 2 front teeth...
she got some serious air...
I was like 10 she was 11-12-ish
She hit her mouth on the front of the 'Flexy Racer/Flyer' steel border
that ended that...

Flexy Flyer -racer-.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back