• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who else did something like this as a kid?

We used to use the backroads around here for various purposes after a fresh layer of powder snow fell.
You had to have a good pair of work shoes with the tread worn off the bottom so they were smooth.
“Bumper humpin ” was when you hung onto the bumper of the car and stayed in a crouch position.
“Poegying” was when you tied a rope to the bumper and stood up to ski down the road.
“Danger sledding” was tying a saucer to the bumper of the car.
The “Poegy” record was set behind a buddies ‘73 Satellite at 72mph.
The wipeout record was 64mph, and bare patches of tar were the ruination of more than one good run!
I remember one of my buddies disappearing under the car danger sledding(no brakes)and dragging himself out laughing!
There was usually a gang of 6-8 of us involved in this.
I now live on one of those backroads and consequently drive the others to get anywhere.
I think about those times often and wonder how nobody ever got hurt, especially since this went on for several years in the ‘70’s.
Once in a while in the winter I’ll ask my wife(who was then my girlfriend)if she wants to drive while I poegy and I get “that look” and she says I’m too old.
Too old?...Ha!

We used to use the backroads around here for various purposes after a fresh layer of powder snow fell.
You had to have a good pair of work shoes with the tread worn off the bottom so they were smooth.
“Bumper humpin ” was when you hung onto the bumper of the car and stayed in a crouch position.
“Poegying” was when you tied a rope to the bumper and stood up to ski down the road.
“Danger sledding” was tying a saucer to the bumper of the car.
The “Poegy” record was set behind a buddies ‘73 Satellite at 72mph.
The wipeout record was 64mph, and bare patches of tar were the ruination of more than one good run!
I remember one of my buddies disappearing under the car danger sledding(no brakes)and dragging himself out laughing!
There was usually a gang of 6-8 of us involved in this.
I now live on one of those backroads and consequently drive the others to get anywhere.
I think about those times often and wonder how nobody ever got hurt, especially since this went on for several years in the ‘70’s.
Once in a while in the winter I’ll ask my wife(who was then my girlfriend)if she wants to drive while I poegy and I get “that look” and she says I’m too old.
Too old?...Ha!
We used snowmobiles for the same things..lol.

Like this stuff
I would have done it on a Huffy Stingray, jumping kids laying on the ground
or jumping garbage cans, at the end of Cobblestone Court, in Concord Ca.
we all lived, I was more a mid 60's kid thou
I love that meme
View attachment 1352177
I love this meme
View attachment 1352170

Yep upcountry usually when it snowed
tow anything behind a mini-bike motorcycle 3 wheeler or quad
garbage can lids were cheap
take cars or 4x4 trucks & sleds or towing people on skis/sleds too
my dad's old Pinto & snow discs, was nuts, in our lower field/pasture
really wet meadows, almost anything you could think of
we towed each other
some crazy **** on the water too
a 'wooden gate' like 4'x6' dogeared redwood, standing up surfing it
or the canoe or surfboards behind the boat 'was common',

then we got an idea lets lay on them,
my 6'8" metalflake green honeycomb surfboard at this time
& haul as 'thru boats' making tight turns/whipping you around
(with like a 50" ski-rope IIRC) see who could do it the fastest,
they (my 'alleged friends', in the boat) never could throw me,
in Tahoe Lake
I was scared 'what would actaully happen', if I fell off going at those speeds
thru around people & boats etc.
(thank god, no-one got seriously hurt)
'we did, some truly stupid ****'

we as kids did tow a 'flexy racer/flyer'
(laydown steerable sled with wheels/sort of friction brakes),
behind my Taco-44 mini-bike
could do about 40mph
down our gravel driveway about a 1/4 mile long each way,
whip it around at the end
& go the other direction, there was a rise/bump in the driveway
you could get serious air, going towards the house at speed
until my older sister lost her 2 front teeth...
she got some serious air...
I was like 10 she was 11-12-ish
She hit her mouth on the front of the 'Flexy Racer/Flyer' steel border
that ended that...

View attachment 1352168
Doggonit... those two photos started my allergies going. Either that or someone is cutting onions.
So true and so sad.

By the time I was 20 I'd had over 100 stitches. Not one from surgery or something like a car wreck. Just being a kid living without a net. I wouldn't have had it any other way.

^^^The "FUN Police" would be called, if that happened in front of a few people I know.^^^

A LOT of this stuff I did too and makes me cringe today LOL!! Geez, how did we survive!? Even jumped my sister's 65 6 banger Mustang on a very smooth dirt road with a nice uprising bridge over a large ditch. Only if we had cell phones to record all of that mess!!

LOL
Wisconsin. Dairy farm. 1/4 mile(or better) "roads" between fields the tractors use. of course they were great on my bike, or on our old Suzuki 125.
But then winter.
Never fear! We had an antique tobagan sled that could seat 5 adults. Long enough to lay down on.
Add one rope, about 20 feet long. Pulled behind Suzuki LT125. good fun!
Couple years of this go by. I am older, younger siblings are participating now also.

Enter the neighbor kid, older brothers best friend. He has this: 1992 yamaha vmax 750 4. Brand new.

Uh oh Jerry.

Me and older brother call dibs on first go. We decide it would be smart to actually sit upright. This was a poor decision.
Once you hit 60mph on a wooden antique tobagan, the front curled up part doesn;t go over all the snow anymore. Some of it comes over the top. Into whatever is there. Like my face. Most of the ride I put my hands over my face. Brother held onto me with one hand and sled with another. I was told we got up to 85 by neighbor kid driver upon our return from the back 40.

We continued of course, but laid down on our belly so the snow would shoot over after that first ride.

I like to think someone was watching out for us that we did not hit a bump on our antique wooden sled at 80mph. I know our parents did not see this event. Of course, if they had looked out the window they would have just seen a cloud of snow flying over the hill at 80mph, so maybe they did?

I think grandpa may have disconnected the governor on that minibike . . .

We grew up on a farm ( I am still here on the farm ) and we had a very old walk behind 2 wheeled garden tractor
It did not go very fast and being farm kids we hooked our little wagon behind it and sat on the wagon to steer the tractor
Then added a second wagon so now we had a train :)
After that wore off we moved up to a go cart
You had to wrap the rope around the pulley to pull start it

Was not long after that till we moved up to full sized field trucks :)

Auto Transport Service
Back