• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who has MOVED from their home state ? How difficult was it for you?

I didn’t live far only about 40 miles east out of Chicago area into Indiana but it’s been one of the best decisions ive Made. Money goes much father out here. Went from less than .25 acre lot with $8000 a year in taxes to an acre and $2300 a year in taxes. No tax on fuel or produce, no stress of being around the city. Christian school where one of the subjects is BIBLE! No common core bullshit, we love it here

Scottsdale AZ.
You would probably be happy in the Phoenix area . With your skills you will find employment . As I said earlier Arizona is slowly becoming eastern California , but it's still gun friendly and somewhat lower cost of living. Taxes keep increasing and quality of life is slowly decreasing here.

I have done two major moves. In 1994 we moved from San Diego to Maine. My wife is from Phoenix and I am from Maine. We met in the Navy. 10 years in San Diego where both my kids were born. We decided to they need to know their grandparents, cousins, etc. Two trips across country. One with a loaded Uhaul with my dog, then after I flew back and worked for a few more months I drove my 70 Dart Swinger back with all my tools and spare parts in a Uhaul trailer.

After the kids went off on their own we are now here here in SC. We vacationed in Myrtle Beach for several years to get away from the winter crap and when the housing market tanked in 08-09 we jumped on a deal here.

The moves are tough, and I am tired of moving so I am done. Like others have said take vacations and visit places and choose a destination. Me, I chose LOW cost of living and a nice country setting with great people. Yes there is heat in the summer but it's easy to go into my AC equipped shop. As I don't have to shovel heat!

It constantly amazes me that these one party controlled shitholes continue squeezing their citizens even as the productive ones pack up and leave. Now I may be looking at it wrong since I only rely on "Common sense" but wouldn't a smart person take notice? I'm trying to refrain from being too political but how many people are willing to keep paying more?

I grew up in Illinois and in my 20's moved back to Missouri where I was born. It was no big deal - New driver's license, car title and tags - get the utilities going on a house I bought. Stayed there several years - moved back to Illinois - why oh why did I do that???? Now after a few decades, next spring my wife and I are moving to Missouri - she had been raised in Illinois and moved to Indiana and returned back to Illinois.

The northeastern area of Texas - the ArkLaTex region looks more like Missouri than Arizona or New Mexico - green, trees, nice area - been down there a couple of times - would consider moving down there save for the humidity in the summer time and the heat. Was in Dallas in August one year for computer school for Ford Motor Company - 116 for the high temp with humidity way up there - no thank you..... People were really nice though in around Tyler and Hawkins where I stayed the 2nd time down there. Longview has some nice areas to live - not familiar with the crime down there.

Tennessee gets high marks for a good state to retire to. We looked there as well as Kentucky. We chose Missouri as I have many family members living there else we'd probably head for eastern Kentucky or Tennessee. Take a look at topological maps for Karst topology - we took a serious look at Bowling Green KY as a place to go - until the floor of the Corvette museum fell into a sinkhole - we well as 4 other sinkholes opening up in and around the city that week. The eastern side of Kentucky is stable but not the central/western areas - Missouri has a large karst region in the southern/southeastern part of the state - never known of any big sinkholes falling in, except for the big one that opened up in Branson a couple of years ago. The northern/northeastern part of the state is stable so that's where we're heading.

Good luck on your move - we're just starting to clear out stuff in the house in preparation of our move next year.

After 71 years in mostly So. California we packed up and moved to Arizona in
2015. California is not a place where a middle class retiree can financially afford
to retire. Not much of a change to get used to as most of the places we lived in
Cali. were warm in the summer. My one piece of advice is that if your getting
along in years before you decide on a place be sure and verify medical availability.
RR

I'm 53 and as active as ever. The Wife is in good health too. Medical and Hospital services are tops on our list of things to research along with weather.

We made our lifetime move three years ago. We were motivated by the weather mostly. Winters in central Washington state was getting to be rough on our bodies. We lived there for the best part of 40 years. For me, being in the Army for 22 years moving was an accepted way of life. However, for my wife, the move south was difficult being she was born and raised there. Only part of the move for me was leaving friends I’ve made in the 40 years Ilived there. There is the internet and texting that takes the edge off.

As far as the logistics, it is challenging. I told my wife after we settled in that the next move I make will be going out feet first.

Hey kerndog, the Phoenix area is not so bad. We’ve grown to like it.

I'm 53 and as active as ever. The Wife is in good health too. Medical and Hospital services are tops on our list of things to research along with weather.

53 and you haven't had your first colonoscopy. You are overdue. Don't tempt fate.

The whole idea of packing up everything and moving out of state is both exciting and scary at the same time. In theory it seems to feel like breaking up with a longtime girlfriend, leaving a long time employer and shedding your old skin all at the same time.
I have truckloads of car parts I'd want to keep. 4 project cars.....then The 70 Charger, the 75 Power wagon, the 2007 Ram and 2 other cars. All of my tools. I'd need a multi-car hauler just for the cars. A semi-tractor trailer would surely be enough for the parts and home furnishings. What a huge undertaking. The money from the sale of this place would buy a really nice spread outright.
I have never dealt with high humidity for very long. I've been to Florida once. Spring 1991. Hawaii twice. I've worked in the cold and really did not like it. Living in an area with light snow while being retired and therefore NOT required to work outside in it....Not as bad.
I appreciate the advice given from everyone. I like the suggestion to travel to see and experience firsthand what the destinations look and feel like. Someone also suggested doing research about activities and car shows in these regions. EXCELLENT advice! While I love being alone sometimes, I surely don't want to feel totally isolated wherever I go.

The heat and high humidity will be bad at times down south, but it is all of the stinging and biting insects that might drive you nuts.

The worst part of moving is sorting and getting rid of junk, packing, loading, driving, unloading, and unpacking. My last move was 1,000 miles and I completed it after 3 separate trips:
1) Large Budget rental truck (junk; avoid them)
2) Large Penske rental truck (very nice)
3) ULINE 40 ft trailer (best method)

ULINE dropped off the trailer, I loaded it, they picked it up, dropped it off at my new home, I unloaded it, and then ULINE picked up their empty trailer. I did not opt to have them load and/or unload the trailer, but I might next time and I hope there isn't a next time.

Absolutely no items were broken!

Rent a truck and rent a dumpster and park them side by side. You will be surprised at the junk you have been able to stash away that will never get used. No sense dragging it along.

53 and you haven't had your first colonoscopy. You are overdue. Don't tempt fate.

colonoscopy.jpg

Your the only person that's in control of that, which I'm sure you already know?

Ha Ha...you forgot one important factor in this simple equation....
1 + 1 = 2
(The wife)
Plus, selling all 4 homes...
But, we could RENT the homes....eh?

Light that place on fire on your way out!
Home is home I'm getting sick of FL when my parents. Pass I will move somewhere else ! Till then I stay here for them as my siblings are idiots!

You can't light California up, it's already burnt to a crisp. Just waiting for the floods to wash everything to the ocean. :thumbsup:

You can't light California up, it's already burnt to a crisp. Just waiting for the floods to wash everything to the ocean. :thumbsup:
Speaking of floods, I would not continue to drink that unfiltered water that separates Laughlin from Arizona.

73Hillary can never chime in without being a worthless pain in the ***. I do not recall ever reading two posts in a row that were helpful to anyone.

In 2015 the wife and I moved from New Jersey to our new home of North Carolina. I left a career as a Union Ironworker and $16,000.00 a year in property taxes. It just didn't make sense anymore. The harder I worked, the more money I made. The more money I made, the more NJ taxed it right out of me. My in-laws retired to NC and we came to visit. All it took was a whiff of the clean country air and the realization of how far my money could go in the South. We still get all 4 seasons, but none too extreme that it's unbearable. And I used all of the money I saved to buy a semi truck and be my own boss. Life is good!! NJ can drop into the Atlantic for all I care, I don't miss it one bit.
Quality of life is PRICELESS!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back