• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who has MOVED from their home state ? How difficult was it for you?

I will say this about the cracks in the concrete. Depending on when the house was built, there isn’t rebar or wire in the floors. Rebar in the footings, yes, 2 4’s or 1 size 5. Prior to a couple years ago, 2500 psi concrete was used. 3000 is now required. Unless it’s a post tension slab, I have never seen wire in a slab, except for what I’ve done. Compaction of soil here is a joke, meaning none. You will find cracks in damn near every house you look at, some worse than others. Depends on what the base is, the pour was made on. I will say this too, the building here as opposed to where myself or you’re from, is atrocious. Just to let you know what to expect, looking here.
I agree. Several friends that are Architectes and in construction say to 'avoid stick and stucco in Arizona". On their advice I only looked at brick or slump block homes built before 1980. Two of the 'stick and stucco' homes I owned here became money pits when they turned 5 years old. One Architecte told me Arizona building code is like they never expect weather.

I agree. Several friends that are Architectes and in construction say to 'avoid stick and stucco in Arizona". On their advice I only looked at brick or slump block homes built before 1980. Two of the 'stick and stucco' homes I owned here became money pits when they turned 5 years old. One Architecte told me Arizona building code is like they never expect weather.
My guys ask me why I get so ticked off. I know what I had to do to get my license. I missed 3 out of 80 questions, they were on brick and block, I’m no bricklayer. Took me 25 minutes, they allow 3 hours. I see very little that conforms to what they require, showing on the actual job. Back home, I knew the inspectors and they knew me, no problem from either side. They knew how I did things and I knew what they expected, in every town I worked in. Here, I don’t comprehend the lackadaisical attitude from both sides.

My guys ask me why I get so ticked off. I know what I had to do to get my license. I missed 3 out of 80 questions, they were on brick and block, I’m no bricklayer. Took me 25 minutes, they allow 3 hours. I see very little that conforms to what they require, showing on the actual job. Back home, I knew the inspectors and they knew me, no problem from either side. They knew how I did things and I knew what they expected, in every town I worked in. Here, I don’t comprehend the lackadaisical attitude from both sides.
I owned a home here (stick and stucco) built in 1993. By 2003 I had spent 30 grand on that home repairing the shortcuts that the builder had escaped from the codes/permits. Plumbing that failed and soaked ceilings, roof jack vents installed incorrectly, connection to the sewer incorrect, constant air hammers at 3AM, sinks that never drained, blinking lights throughout the house. I sold that place at a major loss. I will never buy a stick and stucco home ever again, nor will I buy I home built after 1980 after that nightmare.

I owned a home here (stick and stucco) built in 1993. By 2003 I had spent 30 grand on that home repairing the shortcuts that the builder had escaped from the codes/permits. Plumbing that failed and soaked ceilings, roof jack vents installed incorrectly, connection to the sewer incorrect, constant air hammers at 3AM, sinks that never drained, blinking lights throughout the house. I sold that place at a major loss. I will never buy a stick and stucco home ever again, nor will I buy I home built after 1980 after that nightmare.
My home was built in 2000. It is a stick and stucco build. It’s a Shay home, I will say, after working on this and several others in my area, they are decent. Not what I would have built, but better than most I’ve worked on elsewhere. The only things I’ve done on this or the others have been remods, except a couple roof leaks and couple small plumbing issues. I’ve asked about issues through the years (most are original owners). I was happy to hear, nothing major with any.

Not being a smart *** , I’m glad you guys share your mishaps, knowledge and information with us. I learn from you guys what to look for... I’m bound for the south sometime in the future.

Not being a smart *** , I’m glad you guys share your mishaps, knowledge and information with us. I learn from you guys what to look for... I’m bound for the south sometime in the future.
I hate to see anyone taken or mislead. I’m from Illinois, the very northeast corner, right on Lake Michigan. I know there’s crap there, it’s everywhere. Not near the extent there is here, the lack of pride here is confusing to me. Lack of proper training, supervision, greed and just plain old lazy, is what I figure.

House #2 and its surroundings looks more visually appealing.
The # 2 house is still quite nice. It needs some paintwork and the floor tile replacement. Aside from that, it has a few extras...

KR 30.jpg

I loved having a pool before.

Hiding things so people don't see it,"tall fence make good neighbors". I vote House #2 don't I see 2 garages, not tall enough for a lift, I guess?

The first house has a separate shop with an 11" ceiling which isn't quite enough.

Can you find a 5 to 10 acre lot suitable for a house and outbuildings that isn't too far out, but not too expensive? Then, build what you need.

I'm willing to build a shop or make additions to get what I want but I don't care to build a new house.

House #2 has a 1100 sq ft guest house that I'd modify as a shop. I'd keep the kitchen, bathroom and one of the bedrooms but add to the garage side to accommodate more cars, tools and parts.

KR 39.jpg
KR 28.jpg

My two cents for today is I have learned that for two, or three people 1900 sq feet is perfect. I have owned a 3600 sq foot house, a 3300 sq foot house, and now live in a 1900 sq foot house that is 'just right' for my wife and I and the occasional long term stay of my daughter. Heating/cooling, and general upkeep/maintenance is just cheaper and easier on homes with lower sq footage. Easy to maintain, and just enough room for three, an occasional guest, and even the occasional old car guys cookout for entertaining.

Now acreage is different. I live on just a little over 1 acre and that seems too small to me. I think 3 acres would be nice, but I am retiring soon and comfortable where I am at for the present and future.

Of course, we all know there is no such thing as a garage too big..............................
I've lived in places ranging from 600 - 1750 sqft and have looked at homes around the 2500 sqft size. I agree, the sweet spot for me for a couple with a kid or two is 2000-2500 sqft, but I also prefer a separate small guest house as an add-on (ADU around 500-800 sqft) as well as a 2-5 car garage, but have never lived with that setup yet. Although, could it be that with houses, it's kind of like cars - if you go say from 300hp to 450hp, after 6mo it feels like 600hp would be nice, then once you taste that - hey, 750hp doesn't sound so bad. Have others had the same experience with square footage? Going from like 1500 to 2500 to 4000 sqft and realizing - wow, whatever space you have you'll eventually fill and then it starts to feel small. Maybe not. The upkeep of a larger sqft without 3rd party maids seems daunting.

I've had 3,000+ SF.. Currently less than 1500 & would be fine with 1000.... But.. I have two two car garages, and a 400SF shop on site plus a 1250 SF in an industrial complex...

Great point, Dwayne.
When I first moved out, it was a one bedroom apartment. Second was a 3 bedroom duplex. Third was an 1100 sq ft 3/2 with a 2 car garage and a pool. I felt like a baller having my own garage and swimming pool!
The place I’m in now is just over 1700 sq ft. I like the feel of a larger house.
4000 sq ft is far more than we need since we don’t have kids or loser friends that need a place to stay. I do want the extra space for visits from family. Granted, those visits may only be a few times a year but I’d like to be ready. We have had 4-5 adults at this place and it gets too crowded.

I hate to see anyone taken or mislead. I’m from Illinois, the very northeast corner, right on Lake Michigan. I know there’s crap there, it’s everywhere. Not near the extent there is here, the lack of pride here is confusing to me. Lack of proper training, supervision, greed and just plain old lazy, is what I figure.
My current home, built in 1988, I purchased in 2000. It was the model home for the development, and the developer lived across the street while it was being built. He kept a close eye throughout construction, and I've had minimal maintenance issues. The house behind me was built six years later, after the developer moved from the neighborhood. First two owners had major problems linked to initial construction. Like my Mopars, I bought my house largely because of the history.

What do you do for water in out of town places. Here you can hit water at 100' to 300' drilling. Thing is to know the area, heard of 1,000ft wells. In Wolcott a town next to me guy built 3 houses before digging wells OOPs. Drills several dry holes. He should have known area had a reputation for deep wells. Town 6 years later ran city water in his area. Wonder what the evaporation rate of the poolis, or is it a storage tank.:lol:

What do you do for water in out of town places. Here you can hit water at 100' to 300' drilling. Thing is to know the area, heard of 1,000ft wells. In Wolcott a town next to me guy built 3 houses before digging wells OOPs. Drills several dry holes. He should have known area had a reputation for deep wells. Town 6 years later ran city water in his area. Wonder what the evaporation rate of the poolis, or is it a storage tank.:lol:
I built a home for a couple in 93. They owned the 5 acres for a few years prior to. They knew there was a sulfur water issue in the area but, hoped to get lucky like the people on the corner, just hard water with a shallow well. No such luck, the well was at 135’. I had priced a water system at $7,500. The sulfur content was double the average for the area. My guy said, I’ve got nothing that will take care of it and if anyone says they do, they’re lying. 800’ and $28,000 later they were in the Superior stream it’s called. Great water, a little on the expensive side. That was the only area in the county that allowed plastic water pipes. Something I wouldn’t do except for repair back then.

I’ve only owned two homes - both new construction. I don’t have kids and so we don’t have kids. Both homes in the 1700 sf range. W/o kids I’ve always felt there was no need for more room. We don’t even use all the sf we have unless guests are staying or when we entertain - which is usually fairly small groups. I‘ve looked around over the years but never really felt an overwhelming need or desire to have more. And now at this point in life there’s less than zero reason to upsize. I‘m not so much a handy guy with a lot of extra maintenance - so this low maintenance long term low tax home is really just perfect for us and really always has been. It‘s not about being able to afford it’s about no need and/or low want here and there. Had I stayed in Colorado things would have been different. Even when we were going to build that custom home in the Treasure Valley, ID - it was going to be 2500 sf and three car garage because I was going from the ground up had the space and was also considering the value proposition, custom development etc. not that we needed another 800 sq ft. It was because that was the best most logical thing to do in that context.

The whole concept of wells for water and solar for power is new to me. I've had the ease and comfort of city services all of my life.
Mary's dad has bought and sold properties for years. He is more in tune with that stuff. I've had to become familiar with wells, pump rates and depth of the well.
Once you get a little out of town where the parcels are the size I want, the chance of city water and power really drop off.
The well and pump at house #2 are at the edge of the minimum standards. The father in law thinks legislation is coming to increase those minimums. This means an expensive upgrade just to meet those standards. The house looks nice in general but carries with it some hidden expenses like a shiny classic car with rust bubbles visible in the lower quarters. We will likely pass on this one.
The upside?
We are in no hurry to leave where we are here. We can afford to stay if nothing desirable comes to market right away. We still talk about Tennessee as another option. In most ways, that is my ideal place for economic, social and appearance reasons. We both see much of the Arizona landscape as pretty to visit but too barren to live in for long. I see yards like this:

Garrett 0.png

And this:

951 AZ.png

Then this:

KR 17.jpg

Then I think back to our visit to Tennessee and Georgia in 2021:

IMG_7619.JPG

IMG_7631.JPG

IMG_7629.JPG

Green grass everywhere. THIS is what I really want.

I'm in northeast Ohio, having moved here from Pennsylvania as a kid when my dad took a new job just outside of Cleveland. I've gone from a one bed apartment to an 1847 built four bed home with lots of character and lots of repair bills. I read in earlier posts of sulfur water and this house had it as well. I installed an air injection system along with a good filter and that cured the problem. But, it was only on one acre with no room to expand so we started looking for more space. I found a larger lot with right around 3000 sq ft in two outbuildings already in place so we bought and built a 2400 sq ft ranch about six years ago. Good, local builder who worked with us every step of the way. No water issues as we sit about 200 ft over the top of a large underground aquifer. I finally have room to tinker with my Kaisers as well as my 70 Coronet wagon but with one downside. We sit in what's called the snow belt, one of three places on planet Earth where cold air passing over a relatively warm lake picks up moisture and dumps it in the form of snow, sometimes a lot of it, on higher ground. Looks pretty after a snow but it also means having to keep some serious snow removal equipment at hand. We've talked of moving to somewhere where snow is only a mention on TV, but nothing elsewhere appeals to us. Florida's become overcrowded, Tennessee's prices have skyrocketed and Arizona seems a bit too monotone. So, for now, we'll stay put and I'll get back to work on the Dodge. Time to rebuild the 383.

You've spent your whole life living in California and one of the reasons for moving is the states political affiliation. You're fixing up your house, that has most everything that you need and you're a 60 plus or minus year old retiree. Stay where you're at and spend more time visiting your in-laws with all that free time, assuming your wife can work remotely. Moving to Arizona for 5 years or so and then Tennessee or Georgia is ambitious thinking. Working to build them to fit your thinking and way of life is a job that can take years in each location to achieve. 65 to 70 years old will be a time for doing what you like, not getting ready to do the things you like. Remember, only the good Lord knows what will happen to us tomorrow, there as no guarantees in this world.

Auto Transport Service
Back