• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who has MOVED from their home state ? How difficult was it for you?

I know the comment was tongue in cheek but I don't think anyone would really consider you a timewaster.
You actually went and visited these places, put genuine offers in to purchase and clearly made a lot of effort. You were also open about your reservations from the start.
A lot has changed since your original post, including falling off a roof and getting 5 1/2 years older.

That is nice of you to write that but I assure you, I'm not 5 1/2 years wiser!

01 A5.jpg

I embrace my inner child and refuse to grow up entirely. I don't have kids, so I can still be one in many ways.
I do break but I heal too. I feel great. I don't feel my age. I have something cooking that harkens back to stuff I did 30 years ago. I'll have to get into that in another forum.

Call me soft but the idea of dirt roads, well water, solar for power and a septic tank just seems too crude for me. I'm not an "off the grid" type of guy. I'm no city boy but I'm not that rugged either.

I actually prefer my New Jersey well water :eek: and the septic tank pretty much takes care of itself........you have it confused with an outhouse; it's all just misunderstood :D

Hello KD

I can understand why you
would want to stay put.
I hate moving and have done
more than my fair share,
having lived in Minnesota,
California, Texas, Indiana,
Florida, and New Mexico.
The latter of which where
we reside.
(Just a couple pics to show
green grass is possible in
a desert environment)....
Image05302013183344.jpgImage05302013104236.jpg
We grew tired of the rat race
after living in cities like
Houston, Minneapolis,
Indianapolis, and
Albuquerque. We found a
niche here in a town of 50K.
We live on an acre of land
in an area that receives an
average of 18" of precip/yr.
Watering from a well source
works if you have the pump
and tank capacities.
There are many California
transplanted dairies in the
area that water 1000's of
cows on well systems,
also growing 1000's of
acres of alfalfa.
All here to escape high
taxes and burdensome
regulations.
PS...
When we first moved into
this house, the yard was full
of nothing but goatheads
and dandelions, and
resembled the desert that
surrounds the area.

Last edited:
"dirt roads, well water, solar for power and a septic tank just seems too crude for me"

Wow KD,
From my perspective you're describing the perfect place.
Some of us hillbillies have Masters degrees, CATV, electricity, and some even have a LANDLINE phone!
And I own one of the top 10 Redneck accessories - a SNOWPLOW!

I have notified the Tennessee "Lefty Whacko" Defense Team of your decision and they wish me to
convey their sincere congratulations on a wise call here.
Standing down for now....but ever vigilant! :thumbsup:

Where and how people live is a very personal thing. Since I got here in 2018, I've moved three times. I've had all the above, except dirt roads. I was talking to a friend just yesterday about cars, homes and my biggest hobby, investing. This site is about more than cars, for those of us that walk these halls more than daily. We learn from each other. A car is a thing I buy, buy two of everything for it, build it, drive it, and when the time feels right, see you later. Everything for it, goes with it, next. I need little room these days and will never own more than one car and of course, my daily driver. I no longer think of needing a place to store every car I've wanted, for fear of it getting away from me. Investing takes little space and like talking about cars, my thing is rolling a buck. I'm not doing any of it anymore. I'm not too old, but my thoughts are in a different place. I don't have all those young years left and my time now in this world is about just doing what brings a smile to my wifes face and enjoying time together. Cars and money are just falling way down on the list, but I will always have my ride. I more than understand the kick everyone gets out of turning wrenches, but I'm done. So, my needs for housing has changed. Screw New York, screw California and who cares about Missouri. What's inside the four corners of our safe spot and what you see in the mirror everyday and standing beside you is what's important. If your ride here was as enjoyable as it should have been, hang your hat and enjoy, you're home and if your wife is happy, so are you. Everyone gets a pass on time and the wife thing, even me....... and you............. Ulli

Where and how people live is a very personal thing. I no longer think of needing a place to store every car I've wanted, for fear of it getting away from me. Investing takes little space and like talking about cars, my thing is rolling a buck. I'm not doing any of it anymore. I'm not too old, but my thoughts are in a different place. I don't have all those young years left and my time now in this world is about just doing what brings a smile to my wifes face and enjoying time together. I will always have my ride. I more than understand the kick everyone gets out of turning wrenches, but I'm done. So, my needs for housing has changed. Screw New York, screw California and who cares about Missouri. What's inside the four corners of our safe spot and what you see in the mirror everyday and standing beside you is what's important. If your ride here was as enjoyable as it should have been, hang your hat and enjoy, you're home and if your wife is happy, so are you. Everyone gets a pass on time and the wife thing, even me....... and you............. Ulli
I think Greg has made the right decision to stay put. That might change in the future, but after reading everything on this thread, I think he's done a serious job of weighing all the factors. Ulli, like so many times before, you've articulated my thoughts better than I could do myself. Investing and accumulating Mopars were the two driving forces in my life from early on. I had critics say I was greedy, and on a treadmill that wouldn't end well. I always countered that there was an end game. There was one car that could end the chase, and I got it, and from the financial side, all it took was enough to maintain my lifestyle without earned income. Got that done too. Staying put has played well for me with those pieces in place.

Greg's situation parallels many I've seen over the years. Once the financial need to work ends, it creates an opportunity for significant life changes, including a geographical move. As I posted earlier, I observed the downside of this during my tour driving a moving van, when I moved retired couples from their dream destinations back to their home turf after they became disenchanted. Staying put can often be the better choice.

Last edited:
I think Greg has made the right decision to stay put. That might change in the future, but after reading everything on this thread, I think he's done a serious job of weighing all the factors. Ulli, like so many times before, you've articulated my thoughts better than I could do myself. Investing and accumulating Mopars were the two driving forces in my life from early on. I had critics say I was greedy, and on a treadmill that wouldn't end well. I always countered that there was an end game. There was one car that could end the chase, and I got it, and from the financial side, all it took was enough to maintain my lifestyle without earned income. Got that done too. Staying put has played well for me with those pieces in place.

Greg's situation parallels many I've seen over the years. Once the financial need to work ends, it creates an opportunity for significant life changes, including a geographical move. As I posted earlier, I observed the downside of this during my tour driving a moving van, when I moved retired couples from their dream destinations back to their home turf after they became disenchanted. Staying put can often be the better choice.
Well said, as always!! I only moved 30 miles each time and regardless, you know what it costs. I'm home and if you move, make it next to me.... Ulli

If your ride here was as enjoyable as it should have been, hang your hat and enjoy, you're home and if your wife is happy, so are you. Everyone gets a pass on time and the wife thing, even me....... and you............. Ulli
Agreed.
Years before I moved "back" to TN, every time I crossed the state line into the state, there was a sense
of the world coming off my shoulders - but it's just an imaginary line, right?
To add to it, I had never lived in this state longer than the first 5 years of my life to boot.
Born here, as was both sides of the family - but gone before I even entered school - so what was so dang
special about the state to me then?

Fought the logic of that sensation for years and finally, under doctors' orders to "get out of here or die", I
finally listened to what my heart had been telling me for all that time and made the move.
That was 30 years ago and it immediately became clear that I was "home"; I only wish I had done it
years before I finally did.

Well said, as always!! I only moved 30 miles each time and regardless, you know what it costs. I'm home and if you move, make it next to me.... Ulli
All y'all can move near me - so's I can borrow all your nifty tools and lifts and such. :)

All y'all can move near me - so's I can borrow all your nifty tools and lifts and such. :)
I have nothing left but a few tool boxes. I loaned out my engine hoist, two engine stands, plasma cutter and my tow dolly. The understanding was, keep them till I need them, no room at the inn. They've been passed around and someone has them. I know and they know, that they've been passed to the next generation and I can live with that. Makes me feel good being part of the circle of life. The only thing I sell is cars and houses. LOL.

Last edited:
And have my house, garage, cars and tools blow away in a tornado? No thanks.
New England has tornadoes so watch out. Came back from vacation, 3mi from my house one passed by. It covered 30 miles wrecked a load of houses. Had one 4 years ago same area.

New England has tornadoes so watch out. Came back from vacation, 3mi from my house one passed by. It covered 30 miles wrecked a load of houses. Had one 4 years ago same area.
Thank God we don’t have those problems, God's country............ yeah right!!
I missed a hail storm a few weeks ago, it went around us and we didn't even get rain. 4 miles down the road they got hail the size of a ping pong balls, to baseball and even the size of my hand, unbelievable. Theresa's girlfriend's family live a few miles from each other. Three of them lost roofs, siding, cars, and trees that were stripped of everything. Unbelievable!!

Please visit Florida, we need tourists to pay our taxes, but please don't ever move here, when you visit you will see why.

Auto Transport Service
Back