• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who has tried installing their own headliner ?

Figured I may as well link my threads section on headliner.. this page and the one that follows.
Also note, if I do another one I'll be misting flat black onto the "tinfoil" as if you look up at the headliner you can see it shining through the perf holes.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,121731.525.html

Thank you for the link. I appreciate the help. My 70 Charger has a similar galvanized toothed panel around the rear window. It has been 16 years since I have seen mine!
Great idea regarding the foil backing showing through. I was tempted to glue the jute on with the foil against the metal but figured it would probably peel off and leave the heavy jute resting on the top of the headliner making it sag!
I do have the Wife to lend a hand. That woman....She has helped me with all sorts of stuff on the cars!

I have found it best to hang all the bows and center the liner front to rear attaching the center. Then go to the back and start stretching. Its a pain in the a** to get the back all in and find out there is not enough material in the front to hang it. Some say this takes hours I don't know why. That would be a lot of frustration and a call to bitch at a supplier.

I got this one from Classic industries. It appears to be quite generous as far as extra material.

The bow holders are in fixed positions along the inner roof edges, the bow "loops" are sewn in place.. so I don't see how you can move the headliner material in either direction to avoid coming up short.

I thought that too.
My first efforts with it today were from the front. I was getting annoyed so I walked away rather than get angrier and damage something.
The bows were not sitting up against the roof as I wanted and the closer I got to the rear, the more the bows were leaning forward. Even so, there was plenty of material on all 4 sides.

I did the liner on my 70 Gtx and would do it again if I had to. Got a buzz that it turned out so good. I watched RestoRicks video as well as some others and that helped a lot. As stated before by someone start at the back with the listing wires on the rear bow and work your way forward. Have all the roof screws in place before you start so that you can feel them later through the liner to get to them. Otherwise finding the holes will be a pain. Only pull the liner over the center part of the front and then go back to the rear and start working outward. Have a hairdryer or heat gun handy (not too hot), and a good pair of sharp scissors. You’ll do great.

Make sure you have marked the center. The two wires from the rear bow to the glass help set the initial tension. Clothespins or the assorted plastic clips from China Freight help hold the sides, as well as a little contact cement.
It is a bit more difficult w the glass installed. The C pillar sections are the most difficult to get the wrinkles out of. You'll need patience.

It does not look to be that hard of a job but I have yet to do one.
Well, not a fabric one anyway. I've installed several cardboard and plastic ones in Dusters and Dart Sport cars.
Currently I am getting ready to install one in a 65 Dart. The guy that did a 65 Barracuda for me in 2014 disappeared from the Earth as if he owed me money or something. I don't feel like waiting for another shop to get around to it either. I've never done one so I'm looking for some tips from those that have.
These cars use a series of steel rods that suspend the headliner similar to the B body cars we love. I figure that the practice on this one should help for when I replace the one in my 70 Charger. My Charger looks fine. for the most part. I had the headliner done in 2003 by a shop. The sail panels still have a few small wrinkles though. The main reason I am thinking of replacing it is to add some effective sound deadener up there.
Back to the Dart:
View attachment 721102
I added a thick jute type pad to the underside of the roof skin. This stuff is about 5/16" thick!
View attachment 721103
I used some 3M spray adhesive to hold it in place.
View attachment 721104
View attachment 721105

I like this stuff. I might use the same stuff when I get around to doing the Charger!

Next up, the headliner itself.
I did my runner and it came out good but I failed on the 68 Valiant around the rear window and farmed it out

I put one in my Charger, my Shelby Charger, my daughter's Shadow, and my '55 Plymouth wagon. The '55 wagons were built with a one-piece molded plastic headliner but fortunately were also built with holes for headliner bows. I just bought bows for a couple of sedans and worked out a "best fit" solution for them in the wagon. It took a few days in that car of trial and error, but I was pleased with the final outcome.
phpIfddrDAM.jpg
phpwuVe51AM.jpg
php8TECbkAM.jpg
phpsekHwyAM.jpg

Kern dog. Take a deep breath regroup and read this.

It is designed to start at the rear and go to the front. The 2 hard wires stop the forward movement of the rear bow, then you work forward one bow at a time install the ends of the bow in the clips, rotate the bow forward until the material is tight, move up to the next bow. Then at the front window opening there are usually teeth, you pull the liner snug and put the liner over the teeth to hold it tight. You are pulling all the bows forward and those 2 wires at the rear keep them from going too far forward. This is the easiest part of the job. If you start at the front there is nothing to set the bows and that’s why your bows are leaning the wrong way. Those 2rear wires are the key to the job. You said you lost one, so make a copy of it.

Next part Is the sides and sail panels. That’s the time consuming part.

In the old days, You needed to trim the ends of the bow loops on the headliner. It sets the width and allows the material to drop down to the roof side rails. Helps to measure the loop length on the original headliner if you have it.

******71 Charger that’s a great job on that big wagon headliner.******

Last edited:
I was lucky that the front of the roof back to (I think) the fourth bow, was exactly the same as the sedan, including the gripper teeth over the windshield. Big M Auto Parts had labelled the bows they sold me, so I only had to play mix and match with a set from a second donor for the rear of the car. I had to make my own trim for over the middle side windows. There was a lot of loosening of trim and giving a little tug then tightening it down again. Plus, having to get behind the headliner to trim the listing pockets a little at a time. Made putting the headliner in my '71 seem easy.

I have done several. It's not too hard to do. just time consuming. Mark the center before you begin & make sure to put the interior dome light, sun visor, rear view mirror, & side rear coat hook screws back in before you start to help locate them. The headliner in my Challenger with a 25.5 cert funny car cage took a lot more time because of all of the bars. Pic is before getting started.

100_1671 [640x480].jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back