• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Likes Aircraft ?

Jeff, is there any mention in that book about the one incident I posted here?
Auggie,

Not that I can immediately recall. It has been a long time since I read the book. As a matter of fact, I went looking for it and it appears that it is in
my storage locker.. I will be over there later this week, so I will look for the book box!

Jeff

The Twilight Zone TV show is I recall. A take-off of the WW2 loss of a B24 in the Lybian Desert. The "Lady Be Good." She was lost in a sandstorm and never found until 1958 if I recall discovered by an oil company team surveying the area. The crew tied to walk out but perished. All were recovered a couple of years later. she was recovered from the desert just before we bombed them, the last report I heard, the aircraft sat on trailers at a Lybian air base.

Wow...and the pilot continued to fly away? That helicopter should have landed immediately for inspection after any incident outside of normal operations. I don't know the FAA rules but here in Canada that would have included removal of the blades to check for cracks and twisting.

The Twilight Zone TV show is I recall. A take-off of the WW2 loss of a B24 in the Lybian Desert. The "Lady Be Good." She was lost in a sandstorm and never found until 1958 if I recall discovered by an oil company team surveying the area. The crew tied to walk out but perished. All were recovered a couple of years later. she was recovered from the desert just before we bombed them, the last report I heard, the aircraft sat on trailers at a Lybian air base.

Dad has the book so I'm going from memory....they thought they were flying into a head wind when they actually had a tail wind, over shot their base, and ran out of gas. All the crew was found except for one.

lbg.jpg

58f0e40ccf2df.image.jpg

At the Us Air Force Museum.....F-15 Streak Eagle

050324-F-1234P-030.JPG

The museum's single-seat F15A, nicknamed "Streak Eagle," broke eight time-to-climb world records between Jan. 16 and Feb. 1, 1975. In setting the last of the eight records, it reached an altitude of 98,425 feet just 3 minutes, 27.8 seconds from brake release at takeoff and "coasted" to nearly 103,000 feet before descending. It was flown in its natural metal finish to reduce weight for the record-setting flights. To protect it from corrosion, McDonnell Douglas Corp. has since painted it in the gray color scheme of most operational F-15s.

Auto Transport Service
Back