• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Likes Aircraft ?

0%9CDauntless-Dotty%E2%80%9D-869th-Bomb-Squadron-497th-Bomb-Group-73rd-Bomb-Wing-20th-Air-Force..jpg

Memphis Belle was a B-17.
Other aircraft were named Memphis Belle but none were -29s.

AFTER Morgan finished his 25 mission tur in Europe with the 8th AF with The Memphis Belle, he did a tour in the Pacific
Promoted to major, Morgan did a second combat tour commanding the 869th Bomb Squadron, 497th Bomb Group of the Twentieth Air Force in the Pacific Theater where he flew the B-29 Superfortress Dauntless Dotty from Isley Field, Saipan. The aircraft was nicknamed after his third wife, Dorothy Johnson Morgan. On November 24, 1944, he led the first mission of the XXI Bomber Command to bomb Japan, 110 aircraft of the 73rd Bomb Wing to Tokyo, with wing commander Brigadier General Emmett O'Donnell, Jr. as co-pilot. He completed 26 missions over Japan until being sent home on April 24, 1945.

e69ad7d82fb10663b8bf8cc43cfe9fd8.jpg

dirtylittlefokker_190517_5cdeeb4f870ef.jpg

maybe you thought I meant that the Superfort was The Belle, I figured more had known Morgan from flying The Belle and not The Dotty. All Good!

Ah, you were linking Morgan to the Belle and not the 29. Got it! Its all good!
The engines on the 29 were probably built by Chrysler!

Thanks for posting that, snakeyes. Nice high resolution colour...if they hadn't made the Strategic Air Command movie, we wouldn't be seeing that. By the way, that airframe (5734) was scrapped in November 1957. I wasn't even born yet.

Auto Transport Service
Back