• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Likes Aircraft ?

f26242f1fe6561943e6922be1c869526.jpg

I'm shocked at how many P47D fans are out there. People always look at me weird for being my favorite warbird. They're like a hemi-road runner.

View attachment 444003

The P47, Thunderbolt or "Jug" was one of if not THE toughest planes of WW2. Only setback was speed. Heavily armored, equivilent of today's A-10 "Warthog". (Or as we Tankers in the Army Called it?)
"The Can Opener".
Best sound in the world 1 minute, LAST thing you wanna hear the next. They had BETTER NOT get rid of that plane! It saved more lives in Iraq 2003-2007 than ANY aircraft.

The A10 fleet has been re-winged and will see service until 2030 or beyond.

The P47, Thunderbolt or "Jug" was one of if not THE toughest planes of WW2. Only setback was speed. Heavily armored, equivilent of today's A-10 "Warthog". (Or as we Tankers in the Army Called it?)
I didn't think speed was the big setback, at 426 mph. it wasn't too slow. No, I think the biggest minus for that airplane was simply the cost - being around 60% more expensive than a Mustang. When you're going to wrap 5 tons of airframe and a 2,000 hp. engine together, you gotta expect to pay for it. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back