• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Likes Aircraft ?

419052022261_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=843cd7&_nc_ohc=rbLUmLWl_OwAX-SS37b&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.jpg
Early 707,Snake?

I can still remember watching my grandfather walking up portable steps into a DC-3 at Akron (Ohio) airport going somewhere for General Tire in the early 50's. I'm too old,sigh. My dad was probably in Korea(in the cold Pacific) or on his way home!

In 2006 on Remembrance Day I was lucky enough to go for a ride on Canadian Warplane Heritage's Lancaster Bomber. An experience of a lifetime I will tell you! There is NOTHING like the sound of those Rolls Royce Merlins roaring into life. That's me on the left of the group photo, and also in the upper gun turret. 4 to the right of me in the photo is TiMopar on this site, my old buddy Tim Fennell from London, UK, who came over to join me on the flight.

Here's a link:

https://www.warplane.com/

Screenshot_2020-09-29 Photobucket lanc6 jpg.jpg
Screenshot_2020-09-29 Photobucket lanc3 jpg(1).jpg
Screenshot_2020-09-29 Photobucket Lanc1 jpg.jpg
Screenshot_2020-09-29 Photobucket lanc5 jpg.jpg
Screenshot_2020-09-29 Photobucket lanc2 jpg.jpg

That's pretty cool, Imperial One. I can imagine those Merlins were really roaring with those short high pressure stacks right by the fuselage!

Air Canada, back when it was Trans Canada Airlines had a fleet of Canadair Northstars, loosely based on a DC-4 but with Merlin engines and a pressurized body...and about 100 mph. more speed. The same engine noise that seemed exciting and impressive in a bomber sure wasn't the best thing for passenger comfort, so Rolls Royce ended up designing an exhaust crossover kit to move the exhaust noise away from the fuselage. In doing so, they not only reduced the noise by almost 8 decibels, but also gained 38 hp. per engine, and another 4 mph. cruising speed. In addition to TCA, the RCAF and BOAC used this aircraft type.
blog-canadair-1-north-star_lr.jpg

Salerno, 9 September 1943 (Operation Avalanche): Supermarine Spitfires manned by American pilots lined up ready for action on an airfield near Salerno littered with the wreckage of enemy aircraft and aircraft parts
large.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back