• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Likes Aircraft ?

fcac79d0829af3cb11b368b79a4420de.jpg

large.jpg

Junkers Ju 88 night fighters awaiting scrapping at Grove airfield in Denmark, 2 August 1945.

Built in the forties, the Super Constellation was the ultimate is modern air travel, until the late sixties, when jets were introduced. The flames you see are for show. They rich-en the fuel mixture to produce this affect. You have a favorite aircraft ? Post a video or picture of it.

Weren't the engines Pratt-Whitney radial designs??.....three rows of nine cylinders that were turbocharged for plus 10,000 ft altitude operation.....I think they were developed from the P&W Wasp engines 1 row of 9 cylinders (1000 hp) used on the McDonald Douglas DC3's. Great engines but used huge amounts of oil, 5-6 gallons/ hr of operation both consumed and leaking....they were dry sump designs with a scavenge pump and external oil tank. The exhaust flames are neat.....especially at TO (Take Off) or METO (Maximum Except Take Off) power settings......great photo's...
BOB RENTON

Weren't the engines Pratt-Whitney radial designs??.....three rows of nine cylinders that were turbocharged for plus 10,000 ft altitude operation.....I think they were developed from the P&W Wasp engines 1 row of 9 cylinders (1000 hp) used on the McDonald Douglas DC3's. Great engines but used huge amounts of oil, 5-6 gallons/ hr of operation both consumed and leaking....they were dry sump designs with a scavenge pump and external oil tank. The exhaust flames are neat.....especially at TO (Take Off) or METO (Maximum Except Take Off) power settings......great photo's...
BOB RENTON
PW built only radial engines to my knowledge.

BOB RENTON
Although some early models still used the P&W engines (r-2800) most of the Super Constellations were fitted with Wright R-3350. They were not turbocharged but supercharged, most with a two speed supercharger that switched automatically at higher altitudes. There were some "turbo-compound" versions that had a turbo impeller in the exhaust but it didn't drive a blower; it was directly coupled to the output shaft to add wasted exhaust energy to the propeller. This was the same engine as used on the DC-7 as well.

I remember those prop liners flying overhead every day in the 1960's, and at night you could indeed see the ring of blue flames around each engine from the exhaust stacks as they left town. We lived under the flight path of Vancouver International Airport and the planes were about a minute away from landing or taking off when I saw them.

Well, for pistons engines, certainly. Let's not forget the thousands of turbo-prop and jet engines they made after that. :)

Thanks for your input but I should have made it clear we were talking piston engines radials VS in line.

Although some early models still used the P&W engines (r-2800) most of the Super Constellations were fitted with Wright R-3350. They were not turbocharged but supercharged, most with a two speed supercharger that switched automatically at higher altitudes. There were some "turbo-compound" versions that had a turbo impeller in the exhaust but it didn't drive a blower; it was directly coupled to the output shaft to add wasted exhaust energy to the propeller. This was the same engine as used on the DC-7 as well.

I remember those prop liners flying overhead every day in the 1960's, and at night you could indeed see the ring of blue flames around each engine from the exhaust stacks as they left town. We lived under the flight path of Vancouver International Airport and the planes were about a minute away from landing or taking off when I saw them.
THANK YOU FOR THE UPDATE.....I remember the W-3350 engines.....as I recall, these were serious leakers....upon landing, the crew chief immediately, after chocking the landing gear, had to break out the leak collecting tubs under the engines, as no airport manager wanted oil stains on the tarmac. These engines were, as I remember, were the 27 cylinder unuts.....3 rows of 9 cylinders.....with all of the associated support systems operating in perfect unison. It was easier to remove the engine from the air frame for service, rather than in place. I appreciate your insight......
BOB RENTON

I was a Marine aircraft mechanic and school trained on the Wright R-3350. It was a 2 row of 9 cylinders. Pratt and Whitney had 2 rows of 7 cylinders (R-1830, R-2000, R-2800) Their Grand Finally was the R-4360, 4 rows of 7 cylinders.

Auto Transport Service
Back