• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Likes Aircraft ?

1708588868104.png

The DO-335 looked impressive, but I'm surprised that they were still investing that much effort and resources into it after it was shown how much faster the early jet fighters were.

The DO-335 looked impressive, but I'm surprised that they were still investing that much effort and resources into it after it was shown how much faster the early jet fighters were.
The early jet engines were troublesome, and jet fuel scarce.

I think the Me262 had a few other issues too. Although they could get up to a high speed for the era given enough time, they were slow accelerating, slow climbing and had limited range. They had a long rollout for takeoff meaning they weren’t much good for small airfields. Their jet engines were subject to flame outs if the throttle was opened too fast. Once in The air and up to speed and altitude they had good zoom climb speed out of a dive but they were not built for dogfighting. And their long, roll out and slow acceleration made them especially vulnerable to all the hunting packs of US and RAF fighters that were everywhere in the last year of the war wreaking havoc on Nazi ground targets.

The early jet engines were troublesome, and jet fuel scarce.
Yes they had problems, but also much promise, which is why so many were ordered before the war's end - 1500 Jumo 004 per month were being built when the war ended. Fuel wasn't really the issue - the Jumo 004 (ME262 engine) would run on regular aviation fuel for piston engines, kerosene, diesel fuel or the proper J2 jet fuel. The engines were also cheaper and easier to manufacture than the piston engines such as were used in the FW190D.

I think the Me262 had a few other issues too. Although they could get up to a high speed for the era given enough time, they were slow accelerating, slow climbing and had limited range. They had a long rollout for takeoff meaning they weren’t much good for small airfields. Their jet engines were subject to flame outs if the throttle was opened too fast. Once in The air and up to speed and altitude they had good zoom climb speed out of a dive but they were not built for dogfighting. And their long, roll out and slow acceleration made them especially vulnerable to all the hunting packs of US and RAF fighters that were everywhere in the last year of the war wreaking havoc on Nazi ground targets.
Agreed, the main problems were at take-off and landing when the aircraft was most vulnerable. But as far as climbing, at 3,940 feet per minute it was better than the Spitfire or Mustang, and with its wing slats and flaps was a good turner in the hands of a skilled pilot. And only the best pilots were allowed to fly one of those.

After the war, the USAAF tested captured versions and found it to be superior to the first American jet fighter (P-80 Shooting Star) in acceleration and speed.

Yes, once they were at combat speed, by virtue of that speed they did have a high rate of climb. But getting up to altitude and speed upon take off they were a dog. And if jumped by allied fighters while throttled back or on a landing approach they were dead meat.

Auto Transport Service
Back