• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Likes Ships? We Have Aircraft and Trains.

e1d4fd7b25100e235330f47877a4e8571ceb221a5ff654eb74a4f2034e0216be.jpg

I Love ships, warships,sailing ships, old ships, all ships really. I was in the navy but never in the fleet. They flew us seabees everywhere.
I've toured 3 of 4 of the Iowa class. I still have to see the Iowa. Drank beer on the New Jersey a few times. Spent hours on the North Carolina. Watched part of the Monitor restoration
My dad was a Seabee stationed in Guam during WWII. We went on the USS Missouri back in the late 60's while it was in mothballs in WA. I'm going through my moms pictures. There are some of my brothers and me sitting on the sixteen inchers.

The liner never finished - RMMV Oceanic for the White Star line.
RMMV_OCEANIC_III_Day_version_%28cropped%29.jpg

Construction started with keel laid down in 1928, then the hull was dismantled in 1930 due to the depression. Its length was to be 1,050 feet with 200,000 hp. worth of turbocharged diesels (at least 40 engines) driving generators and electric motors for four props.

My dad was a Seabee stationed in Guam during WWII. We went on the USS Missouri back in the late 60's while it was in mothballs in WA. I'm going through my moms pictures. There are some of my brothers and me sitting on the sixteen inchers.
Guam is an awesome place... Not so sure the guys landing there in July of 44 would have felt that way... But when I was there in 79-81 it sure was...

SS United States.

I used to see her sitting at Norfolk International Terminal when I lived there in the 70's. Slowly rotting away...like the winged car in the guy's yard. Going to fix her up one day.

300px-StateLibQld_1_169487_United_States_(ship).jpg

SS United States at sea in the 1950s

3474902368_d33572986e_b.jpg

SS United States Norfolk 1978​

SSUS+retirement_PHL.jpg

The SS United States at her pier in Philadelphia​

The U.S., SS United States measured 990 feet in length, 101-feet wide, she had 12 decks, and weighed 53,330 tons. She is larger than the Titanic, and is in fact the largest ship ever built in an American shipyard.
Video: The Largest Passenger Ship Ever Built in the U.S.- SS United States - The Maritime Post

Auto Transport Service
Back