• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who makes good quality brake and clutch pedal pads?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:53 PM
Reaction score
Hey there,
I need good quality brake pedal and clutch pedal pads for my 1970 Charger with a manual transmission.

IMG_3411.JPG

The ones I got with the Tremec 5 speed kit won't stay on the pedals.
Summit sells a pair of rectangular ones made by "Metro" and they look exactly like mine. One of the reviews could have been made by me...."The first time I drove the car, the pad came off".
I have a number of ideas to make the crappy ones work including a pair of painted carriage bolts through the face, weatherstrip adhesive and The Right Stuff.
If the car was a turd, I'd go without a pad or use zip ties.
Who makes quality pads?

DMT offers them. They have a good selection of the standard replacement items. Not sure who produces some of their products though...

Glue them on? Just thinking out loud

Cancel that just re-read and you mentioned it……

I had to use some RTV adhesive to keep mine on.

My Tremec seem fine. For what its worth we used 3M weatherstrip adhesive on a lot of cars from new. Even the automatic pedal pads. Some people have two left or right feet and seem to easily knock them off. The more they get torn off the weaker they get and loose side grip. I would clean and glue yours. They look good so why waste the money.

Dang I've had the same shitty luck with (auto transmission) brake pedal pads. I posted a thread awhile back asking for any solutions that others might have found, and the best I got was "glue it down" or use double sided tape, none of which worked for me for very long.
I think on the modern pads that are out there, the rubber is just too soft to stay put.

I put it on the backburner because other more important things came up, but the next thing I'm going to try is this:
CRC® Minute Mend™ Epoxy Putty, 4 Wt Oz

It's worked great for me in other applications, and they sell it at the electrical supply house I frequent so I'm gonna give it a shot.

Who makes quality pads?
I think they all come from the same two factories..... Steele would have been one of those.

Are the pads loose, or is it just that the foot action pushes them off?

I never really had trouble with any of mine......although I always ran the stainless trim bezels - maybe they will help you Greg. And make sure that the tangs are pulled really tight over the back of the rubber.

Nobody likes loose 'tang. :lol:

When I went through and "restored" the car in 2002-2003, I bought a lot of stuff from Year One. I got that "Pedal dress up kit" stuff. The gas pedal trim
stayed in place, maybe because the pedal is plastic and doesn't flex. The brake pedal pad and trim moved around a bit.
When I swapped in the 5 speed, both the clutch and brake pedal pads look deformed when squished onto the metal pads. The clutch pad stays on most of the time. The brake pad kept slipping off the original manual lever and when I switched to the lever with the relocated pushrod hole, it was a poor fit there too. I used "The Right Stuff" and it did stay in place for the most part.
I guess I can try the weatherstrip adhesive.
I still like the idea of putting two carriage bolts through them like so:

IMG_3411 (2).jpg

It seems like the metal on the clutch and brake bases are bigger than the rubber pads, at least in my case.

When I went through and "restored" the car in 2002-2003, I bought a lot of stuff from Year One. I got that "Pedal dress up kit" stuff. The gas pedal trim
stayed in place, maybe because the pedal is plastic and doesn't flex. The brake pedal pad and trim moved around a bit.
When I swapped in the 5 speed, both the clutch and brake pedal pads look deformed when squished onto the metal pads. The clutch pad stays on most of the time. The brake pad kept slipping off the original manual lever and when I switched to the lever with the relocated pushrod hole, it was a poor fit there too. I used "The Right Stuff" and it did stay in place for the most part.
I guess I can try the weatherstrip adhesive.
I still like the idea of putting two carriage bolts through them like so:

View attachment 1513576
Bolt them on!

It seems like the metal on the clutch and brake bases are bigger than the rubber pads, at least in my case.
To large would keep the rubber from wrapping around properly.You could try to trim them up for a better fit first. Then 3-M them in place.

Used DMT for my 65 pads and they are great.

Today I was in the shop digging out some early A body parts I’m looking to give away and in a coffee can I found these:

12E4C833-19A2-4FBF-A717-AD01B0BE3273.jpeg

They must be original. They are harder than the new ones in my car.

90715A48-93C5-45D1-ABA1-0CA98F00BE12.jpeg

They look the same. I’ll save these and see if they fit and stay in place once these newer ones fall off again.

Auto Transport Service
Back