• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who runs 4 drums no booster?

I have 4 drums with no booster and my car has been a race car it's entire life. Ma Mopar built them right. I replaced everything in the brake system a few years ago, just because.
50 year old technology still works today! Have you raced and felt any brake-fade?

I've seen your garage, a 10 car carrier is NOT enough!!
Maybe 3 to come close. Just don't forget the coins.
tenor (2) (1).gif

50 year old technology still works today! Have you raced and felt any brake-fade?
I have had brake fade back in the day 67-72. My 67 Satellite back then had 4 wheel 10" drums. This only happened with 3 or more consecutive 1/4 mile passes on a short strip within 10 minutes. With cooldown between rounds it never happened.

Years ago, my '64 Polara was my summer drive to work car. I was also on the local VFD. One afternoon, my pager went off for a fire call 5 or 6 miles away and I had to use my '64 to get there. Drum brakes, no booster. After a series of stops and slow downs to make turns on this high speed run, I arrived at the scene pretty well out of brakes; real bad fade. I got stopped down the road a ways. It scared the crap out of me. I shortly installed front disc brakes from a 1970 Road Runner with Bendix dual diaphragm booster. I have had no problem since; 30+ years. When I bought my 1967 R/T, it had 11" drums all around with no booster. One of my first upgrades was to convert it to front disc brakes with a booster as well. The only way to stop one of these old B-bodies quick with drum bakes is to hit something.

Years ago, my '64 Polara was my summer drive to work car. I was also on the local VFD. One afternoon, my pager went off for a fire call 5 or 6 miles away and I had to use my '64 to get there. Drum brakes, no booster. After a series of stops and slow downs to make turns on this high speed run, I arrived at the scene pretty well out of brakes; real bad fade. I got stopped down the road a ways. It scared the crap out of me. I shortly installed front disc brakes from a 1970 Road Runner with Bendix dual diaphragm booster. I have had no problem since; 30+ years. When I bought my 1967 R/T, it had 11" drums all around with no booster. One of my first upgrades was to convert it to front disc brakes with a booster as well. The only way to stop one of these old B-bodies quick with drum bakes is to hit something.
I have to disagree. If adjusted properly, 4 wheel drum brakes work just fine. Mine will stop my car at 130 mph.

I have to disagree. If adjusted properly, 4 wheel drum brakes work just fine. Mine will stop my car at 130 mph.
They will work fine if given enough time to cool, but if you're on a mountain pass or on a racetrack (circuit not dragstrip) they will overheat and stop working before discs.

4 drums no booster on 1968 GTX and yes even on the blown 69 Coronet R/T. No problems, both cars stop as they should.
20200407_143813.jpg

I always think of it this way big trucks use drum brakes, lots of Surface area means lots of power ... Mopar brakes when properly adjusted and set up where good far better than GM and their flexible flier frames. 11” brakes on a car that doesn’t quite weigh 4000 lbs ... your tire is the weak link the brakes will hold if you can keep them cool and tires from sliding . I’ve gotten new cars to fade with disc brakes. They will all fail and fade if you push them. I will admit new big trucks are using disc brakes up front but it wasn’t until the past 5 years or so they came into play as costs came down. IMO it boils down to car condition and driver wrong combo and you have got problems .

^^^^ My 69 Mack R model didn't even have front brakes,just on the tandem rear axle.

The Hendrickson I drove had a switch for the front axle to cut the brakes in bad weather!

I love bull dogs! Nothing compares to the old ones ! As far as a work horse goes! Pete’s and KWs are great too but a bull dog says it all! No new watered down bull dogs though in my book... too much aardvark or Volvo in them.

My 66 charger had 10" manual drums originally.
It's a heavy car and panic stops at highway speeds could get scary.
It just wouldn't stop as fast as a newer car with disc brakes, especially on the second try it would fade pretty badly that's not a good feeling.
I drove it for 25 years like that but had to leave some gap in front of me.
I switched to manual discs in the front and it will definitely stop better now.

I forgot to mention, ditched the single pot master at least 20 years ago.

I think drum size is the big variable.
The guys with 11" brakes seem happy.

Auto Transport Service
Back