• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who runs 4 drums no booster?

That's the problem, locking them up. Cars stop slower once locked up. That rubber, called a tire, melts. Becomes a greasy substance between your car and the road. Anyone can lock up the brakes, it's learning to modulate them and keep then on the edge of "pending" lock up. Discs can do that better and maintain it longer = better stopping. Again, this is not opinion, 20 yrs accident investigation and NHTSA training.
Human nature doesn't follow that in a panic situation, everyone will stab the brake pedal hard. Don't lie to yourself. @diesel_lv you make valid points, I'm not calling you out as wrong. I have been in panic situations on the street and road courses and the mindset to stand on the brake pedal as hard as you can is not one that I can break. If anyone out there has done that please elaborate on how you kept your cool.

Experience and training. Threshold braking is not a natural ability for most people.

I can mail you some the non-functioning junk he sells.. Advocating for the the use inferior technology of Drum brakes shows the guy is a hack!
I didn't buy anything from him, just took the advice and used it. I also know that some of the products he has are inferior.

Human nature doesn't follow that in a panic situation, everyone will stab the brake pedal hard. Don't lie to yourself. @diesel_lv you make valid points, I'm not calling you out as wrong. I have been in panic situations on the street and road courses and the mindset to stand on the brake pedal as hard as you can is not one that I can break. If anyone out there has done that please elaborate on how you kept your cool.
Practice!! While riding a motorcycle and practicing sudden/panic braking, the front wheel will lock, if it stays locked, the front end will wash out from underneath. We are taught to release and gently reapply. I competed in closed course cone pattern competitions on an 800+ pound HD. The fear of sliding on the ground and having that motorcycle on you weighs on your mind. I guess w over 750k miles on a motorcycle and even more in 4 wheels, seeing horrible accidents, you keep situational awareness. I was fortunate to get paid to practice my driving and break bad habits.

Experience and training. Threshold braking is not a natural ability for most people.
I have stabbed the brakes in a panic, but rarely ride the the skid to the end.. Nothing better then a quick stab of the brakes to send your 5k pound truck sliding sideways towards a car that runs a stop sign in front of you only to straighten it out at the last second and drive around them as they piss themselves..

I'm looking at most of the "my drums work just as good as discs" comments, if you live in the country, small town and don't daily your car in modern traffic, yes they do. If you drive in "city" traffic, LA, Vegas, Phoenix etc on the freeway in heavy traffic with 99.9% of the other vehicles having disc brakes, no they do not work just as well. And then the "I just keep more distance between" doesn't work because as soon as you leave a car length, someone else pulls into it, you'll soon be backing up. Yes, nostalgia is great, originality is great, but I drive mine daily, in Vegas when I lived there, and now regular trips to Vegas n Phoenix. For piece of mind and safety around modern vehicles w disc brakes, I converted to front disc without booster. Please don't try to convince someone that drums work just as well as discs in the real world.
You put up some very valid points! I live in North Dakota and drive like a grandma in my truck. Might be hard to keep that habit in a 440 6-barrel GTX, though! If I had to drive in big city traffic regularly, front discs would be the way to go!

The non performance cars need not upgrade to disc,but everyone should lose those single pot master cylinders and spend the $40 for a dual M/C!!!

did you change them out yourself?
Sorry, just saw your question. Yes, I changed them myself. Got the kit from Dr Diff. I used the larger rotors that require 15" wheels. Very simple weekend project.

Sorry, just saw your question. Yes, I changed them myself. Got the kit from Dr Diff. I used the larger rotors that require 15" wheels. Very simple weekend project.
Now that is a guy I trust about Mopar performance.. No B.S. just solid help for the community

Put it another way: I haven't seen many disc to drum conversion kits.

I like the thrill of straight line acceleration but not so much handling, and braking in corners.

C'MON, MAN, it's a 1963 Super Stock. Remember when cars had EMERGENCY brakes? I drive my cars, I'm not along for the ride. What happened to practicing good driving skills? Steering wheel holders today have become distracted and complacent with every new gadget. If I want to carve and cut the twisties I'd be interested in Ferrari's or Porsche's. I enjoy motoring in my older vehicles. It reminds the way it used to be. You need to pay attention of you surrounding and be aware of what you are driving. Nothing will save you from yourself or all the other idiots on the road. I like the interaction and feed back each of my eclectic and individual vehicle gives me The feeling of being part of the process, in control and not just along for the ride. It would be boring if it was easy and everything the same.

Last edited:
I like the thrill of straight line acceleration but not so much handling, and braking in corners.

C'MON, MAN, it's a 1963 Super Stock. Remember when cars had EMERGENCY brakes? If I want to carve and cut the twisties I'd be interested in Ferrari's or Porsche's. I enjoy motoring in my older vehicles.

Fair enough....
These cars don't have to be relegated to just straight line runs. Handling isn't something that we have to give up to other cars. These cars can be made to handle quite well without a whole lot of work.

The emergency brake is next to useless traveling over 20MPH.
Ever driven around using just the E-brake? Rear brakes alone offer very little stopping power.

Technically, it is a Parking brake. It also only engages the rear brake shoe. In a rear disc situation, it can either engage the entire caliper or both shoes in a "drum in hat" arrangement.

I understand all that and you are right it really is only good as a parking brake.
I guess I was still stuck on the "single master cylinder" portion of the discussion.
My point is that the parking or e-brake is of little use in a brake failure situation and you really don't want to ever need to use it as an emergency brake.
Just poorly stated.
One demerit for Don.

Fair enough....
These cars don't have to be relegated to just straight line runs. Handling isn't something that we have to give up to other cars. These cars can be made to handle quite well without a whole lot of work.

I guess if that's what you're into. Nothing against it. It's not the work it's how much it costs to do it. Doing what I do on a budget and I can only afford to head in one direction - straight and see how fast I can get there. If stopping ever becomes an issue I'll address the problem accordingly but for now I'm okay with what I have. It would be nice to have power steering on either of my 63 Plymouth's but I'll manage without it.

Last edited:
I have stabbed the brakes in a panic, but rarely ride the the skid to the end.. Nothing better then a quick stab of the brakes to send your 5k pound truck sliding sideways towards a car that runs a stop sign in front of you only to straighten it out at the last second and drive around them as they piss themselves..
Thanks for the laugh!!! Thanks because I've done that before and more than a couple of times in my 54 years of driving....

Us old timers call it pumping the brakes
Some people define that as 'on and off....on and off which isn't the same. Gotta know your car to get the most from the brakes without doing that. First reaction is usually totally lock up but knowing how much to ease back off and maintain good braking without lock up is the key.

Auto Transport Service
Back