• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who still has the original dealer emblem on the decklid? What kind of alloy?

74ChargerSE440

Local time
10:49 AM
Reaction score
My emblem was in really rough shape (just like the car). My first thought was: rechrome, but after I start sanding the thick piece of some kind of alloy it began to shine and eventually it came to life. I started carefully with 40 grid and ended with 5000 grid :). It now 'shines like a diamond'.

I will put the emblem back on the decklid shortly with all other emblems with double sided 3M tape, I suppose.

1701899015168.jpeg

1701899597105.png

1701899117303.png

Last edited:
Whenever I bought a new car, and I bought a lot, I always asked not to put any dealer name on the car. They would usually put a license plate holder with their name and town.

Nice job. That looks great. I wonder if it would be helpful to spray it with clear coat before you put it back on.

I always took them off and threw them in the trash but thermopolis wyo
That’s kinda cool

Whenever I bought a new car, and I bought a lot, I always asked not to put any dealer name on the car. They would usually put a license plate holder with their name and town.
Agree. And if I buy a car these days I take a heat gun and smoke off the decal. :drinks:

I agree; pot metal, like tail light bezels. etc. When I bought my 1964 Polara in 1980, it had a placque on the trunk lid advertising that it was sold by McManus Motors of London, Ontario. This pot metal sign was pretty crusty, so when the car was first painted in the early '80's, I tossed it. At the time, McManus Motors was one of the largest Dodge dealers in Ontario. Twenty years later, they were a memory. When I decided to do a full restoration on the Polara, I regretted throwing away that sign, since the selling dealership no longer existed. I was lucky enough to purchase a NOS sign from a fellow that I knew who had worked in McManus' parts department for years. It is now mounted in the two original holes drilled in the trunk lid so many years ago.

DSCF0016.JPG

PA160044.JPG

P6130004.JPG

My emblem was in really rough shape (just like the car). My first thought was: rechrome, but after I start sanding the thick piece of some kind of alloy it began to shine and eventually it came to life. I started with carefully 40 grid and ended with 5000 grid :). I now 'shines l like diamond'.

I will put the emblem back on the decklid shortly with all other emblems with double sided 3M tape, I suppose.

View attachment 1569501
View attachment 1569507
View attachment 1569503
Nice. Usually pot metal. And yes, it can be sanded and polished like chrome.

I agree; pot metal, like tail light bezels. etc. When I bought my 1964 Polara in 1980, it had a placque on the trunk lid advertising that it was sold by McManus Motors of London, Ontario. This pot metal sign was pretty crusty, so when the car was first painted in the early '80's, I tossed it. At the time, McManus Motors was one of the largest Dodge dealers in Ontario. Twenty years later, they were a memory. When I decided to do a full restoration on the Polara, I regretted throwing away that sign, since the selling dealership no longer existed. I was lucky enough to purchase a NOS sign from a fellow that I knew who had worked in McManus' parts department for years. It is now mounted in the two original holes drilled in the trunk lid so many years ago.

View attachment 1569647

View attachment 1569648

View attachment 1569649
Nice! So, only one member with the orignal dealer emblem on the trunklid so far? Really?

Wilkerson CP Tulsa
I believe this is where the time capsule 57 Plymouth came from

Diecast
IMG_7819.jpeg

My grandfather would require the salesperson to put "no advertising items" on his order for new cars. He refused delivery on 2 that I remember, as a kid.

Since my first new car.. my 1990 TBird Super Coupe. Advised if there was as much as a sticker on that paint that they could keep the car.

I have one on my Satellite but i'm not sure if it's original. I believe it's from a Tennessee dealership.

key.jpg

My 67 Satellite had a foil decal on the top center of the rear bumper from the dealer. It was sold by Wiest Motor Co. in York, PA. My dad worked there as a mechanic in the 70's and then again in the 80's and 90's (it's name was changed to York Chrysler Plymouth during that time period). He's got a few nice examples of the decal on one of his toolboxes. I thought about getting it reproduced assuming the cost wouldn't be too much.

I don't have a photo of the decal at the moment, but here are a few dealer-related photos for your enjoyment.

1702048373444.png

1702048164529.png

1702048210492.png

I have the pot metal dealer emblem, has magnets attached to back with double sided tape. It's on the dash now, hopefully, no one ever steals it.

20231207_132740.jpg

My 67 Satellite had a foil decal on the top center of the rear bumper from the dealer. It was sold by Wiest Motor Co. in York, PA. My dad worked there as a mechanic in the 70's and then again in the 80's and 90's (it's name was changed to York Chrysler Plymouth during that time period). He's got a few nice examples of the decal on one of his toolboxes. I thought about getting it reproduced assuming the cost wouldn't be too much.

I don't have a photo of the decal at the moment, but here are a few dealer-related photos for your enjoyment.

View attachment 1570302
View attachment 1570300
View attachment 1570301
Very very nice leather key holder, I suppose..

Since my first new car.. my 1990 TBird Super Coupe. Advised if there was as much as a sticker on that paint that they could keep the car.
A sticker.... mmm... But a nostalgilistic pot metal dealer emblem correct for the period is a kind of cool display of the provenance of any classic car I think.

Thanks for the tip but I will almost certain not use it.... because of the substantial chance it messes my paint up... and it will not stick?

I will use double sided 3M tape instead.

Auto Transport Service
Back