• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who still has the original dealer emblem on the decklid? What kind of alloy?

I have the pot metal dealer emblem, has magnets attached to back with double sided tape. It's on the dash now, hopefully, no one ever steals it.

View attachment 1570385
IMG_2529.png

Unfortunately, all that's left of mine is 2 holes. The second owner removed it.

IMG_9596 (2).JPG

My emblem was in really rough shape (just like the car). My first thought was: rechrome, but after I start sanding the thick piece of some kind of alloy it began to shine and eventually it came to life. I started carefully with 40 grid and ended with 5000 grid :). It now 'shines like a diamond'.

I will put the emblem back on the decklid shortly with all other emblems with double sided 3M tape, I suppose.

View attachment 1569501
I glued screw heads into the holes as a finishing touch, it's now ready to tape it on the decklid!

img20231217_11281260.jpg

Schermafbeelding 2023-12-17 171501.jpg

Last edited:
Probably by a small metal foundry. And depending on the quantity the dealer wanted many of the metal ones would start with a master pattern made of wax or wood. A green sand mould was made from the pattern and a zinc/lead alloy mix was poured into the back of the shallow mould. The flat surfaces would then be ground and chromed. The side surfaces which were more difficult to grind had a sand textured finish. High volume OEM parts were cast in a similar metal mix but pressure cast with back pins (stakes) to go through holes in the car body and be fixed with speed nuts. Also some trunk lock covers.

Plastic versions and other parts were and still are produced by injection molding ABS. One plastic than can be chrome plated e.g. plastic arm rests etc. Typically, the back side of the part is black. The higher the quantity the better the mould quality the better the part quality.
Seems like a lot of work. I can't imagine what that would cost now. For plastic I guess one could now be 3d printed. I don't know what it would cost to get either chromed.

The ones on our 55 Chevy looked like pot metal but was chromed. My uncle sent it off and had a guy redo it.

28AF683D-AA78-4676-AFA0-AFB3FD9F31BC.jpeg

E42536D3-770D-4928-A2AC-5659A7A7FB24.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back