• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who wants venison?

The deer around here are plentiful enough to have taken us out 3 times, I tried to beat the insurance company with my wife's car once and got the estiment and had a friends garage make the papers right wanting him to do it and commenced to do it myself and save money, By the time i got done i saved about 70 bucks is all and i bought two fenders, grill and bondoed the hood after two days straightening it the best i could and my time and work, the price of the paint and all i just couldn't make it work...

Well the car is being totaled out.

Stupid deer. My luck with cars has been lackluster of late.

Remind me not to lend you my car. LOL

Remind me not to lend you my car. LOL

Haha. Right before the euro I had a 95 nissan hardbody that blew the neck off the radiator while going down i37. Warpped the head. It ran great after I got it fixed but the 110 mile round trip everyday to work was too much for that little 4 banger.

Well the car is being totaled out.

Stupid deer. My luck with cars has been lackluster of late.

That little damage killed the mazda eh? Seems like you should be able to pop a new fender, hood, and light on there for a few hundred and call it good....buy it back from the insurance company for pennies on the dollar and just rock it with some dents.

That little damage killed the mazda eh? Seems like you should be able to pop a new fender, hood, and light on there for a few hundred and call it good....buy it back from the insurance company for pennies on the dollar and just rock it with some dents.

Yep. 6k in damage so they totaled it. No salvage title tho.

Already ahead of ya!! Lol. Finally found the bumper cover today. Picked the hood n fender up new from certifit for $140. The lights were the most expensive part.

I'm getting quotes on paint now so hopefully I'll drop those off Friday and have her road worthy by mid next week.

It's nice that you're getting the car back and fixed up.

Last Friday on the way to work in the Plymouth, bambi darted out from a driveway. Missed it by -->| |<-- that much. I didn't even have time to think about applying brakes. Truck coming the other way also just missed it. When will these animals realize they need to look both ways before crossing?

You could drive the deer home. Not mine

hqdefault.jpg

Yep. 6k in damage so they totaled it. No salvage title tho.

Already ahead of ya!! Lol. Finally found the bumper cover today. Picked the hood n fender up new from certifit for $140. The lights were the most expensive part.

I'm getting quotes on paint now so hopefully I'll drop those off Friday and have her road worthy by mid next week.

Thar ya go...good thinkin. Junkyards are pretty good places for those parts. www.car-part.com is a good resource to track things down too. Gives you results you can sort locally and call to get real pricing and availability.

- - - Updated - - -

It's nice that you're getting the car back and fixed up.

Last Friday on the way to work in the Plymouth, bambi darted out from a driveway. Missed it by -->| |<-- that much. I didn't even have time to think about applying brakes. Truck coming the other way also just missed it. When will these animals realize they need to look both ways before crossing?

People haven't figured that out yet....what makes you think the deer will?

Actually the way it worked out I broke even on the parts and labor from the check they cut me. But they also paid the car off so that was a freaking sweet surprise. :headbang::hello2::headbang:

Good to hear you came out on your deer hit! Have written some $13-$15,000 deer hit estimates and we fixed the vehicles. They were newer (Lincoln MKZ and GMC Acadia), with $1000 hoods and $1500 headlamps it adds up fast.
A few yeas ago I was driving my Charger right at dusk, when a deer jumped out. Luckily I got slowed down and missed it. Then a few miles down the road a raccoon ran out and he wasn't so lucky. Good thing I wasn't going fast, (still trying to recover from the deer) it just rolled under the car and didn't do any damage.

Good to hear you came out on your deer hit! Have written some $13-$15,000 deer hit estimates and we fixed the vehicles. They were newer (Lincoln MKZ and GMC Acadia), with $1000 hoods and $1500 headlamps it adds up fast.
A few yeas ago I was driving my Charger right at dusk, when a deer jumped out. Luckily I got slowed down and missed it. Then a few miles down the road a raccoon ran out and he wasn't so lucky. Good thing I wasn't going fast, (still trying to recover from the deer) it just rolled under the car and didn't do any damage.

Lucky man....

I was driving at about 3:30 am one morning heading to Pennsylvania on hwy 80 in Indiana. Cruise set at 70, coming up on a big rig getting ready to move over to go around. All of a sudden along the lines i see blood and parts...no changing lanes too much goo. And then it happened, out from under the truck comes the main carcass..just a mess of ribs guts n meat...had to go over the top. Took me about 4 hours under there with a knife to get off most of the hanging sinue. Piece of rib was stuck in a motor mount, exhaust shielding mangled up a bit and the splash guard shattered.

Ironically enough this was a mazda as well!

Lucky man....

I was driving at about 3:30 am one morning heading to Pennsylvania on hwy 80 in Indiana. Cruise set at 70, coming up on a big rig getting ready to move over to go around. All of a sudden along the lines i see blood and parts...no changing lanes too much goo. And then it happened, out from under the truck comes the main carcass..just a mess of ribs guts n meat...had to go over the top. Took me about 4 hours under there with a knife to get off most of the hanging sinue. Piece of rib was stuck in a motor mount, exhaust shielding mangled up a bit and the splash guard shattered.

Yuck!

Lucky man....

That's nasty. I did have a fair amount of **** stuck to the side of the car. lol.

Back on the road

Finally got her fixed. It has been a slow process but it's done!! After it was all said and done I got about $800 for the car. So my goal was to keep it as close to that as possible which added about a month of really shopping around for parts, painter, and doing all the labor myself. I managed to keep it right at what the insurance gave me so it was worth the wait.

As a bonus I have a hood and fender to cut up and practicing welding.

The hood and fender are from Certifit. I also learned that these models were all slightly different. Even the parking light bulb sockets can be different spending on when and where they were made. So there is a weird gap on the left but the right isn't as bad.

I have had a ton of trouble finding the fog light since they are different from the sedan. I made a cover from the old bumper just to keep rocks and stuff from hitting my belt and pulleys.

20140812_165553.jpg20140812_165618.jpg20140812_165607.jpg20140812_153640.jpg20140812_153635.jpg

[video=youtube;nKfssATOgsM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKfssATOgsM[/video]

Hey man, if you are going to be running into deer anyway, how 'bout driving by my place and flatten some of the deer that have been tearing up my orchard. Just kidding. But seriously, I'm glad that you weren't hurt.

Auto Transport Service
Back