• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why can't they get it right? Rant

Timmayy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:15 PM
Reaction score
This is just a rant. One my good friends is putting together a 318 for my wife's 67 Fury wagon. He's one of the few old school shops around and we've been good friends since we were kids. His father was a well known mechanic back in the day so he was taught well and knows his stuff.
Anyway the 318 in the wagon was junk. I knew that buying the car. Since I have other cars and houses and such to work on I gave it to him to do. As he's putting together the other 318, (pretty much a freshening up, bottom end is fine) he keeps getting delivered the wrong parts. Oil pan gasket set comes in and it's the wrong one. New water pump comes in and it looks like it was a return with no gaskets or hardware included. They sent the wrong oil pump and he had to return it also. Doesn't anyone double check the parts going out? It's a freakin' 1967 318. He knows his stuff and gives them the same information and they still get it wrong. It's like the kids working the McDonald's drive-through. Every wrong delivery is another delay. He would've had the new motor in by now. Is it really that difficult to make sure the proper parts go out? He is doing me a huge favor but it's still his time that gets wasted. Unreal.

Rant over.
67 Fury wagon 1.jpg

who's he getting parts from ?
maybe he should change suppliers ?

#1 the source of the problem

go ahead & rant :soapbox:

maybe you can order the stuff & take it to him
or have it delivered to him directly

I almost exclusively buy from Summit Racing now
but I don't do it as a business, for retail or outside work
or making $$$ of the parts/marked up from 'a local yokal parts supplier'
(that their parts suppliers are obviously dropping the damn ball)
I rarely if ever, get anything delivered that's wrong
(my fault if it is usually, I can count on less than 1 hand, the amount
of time it was wrong over like 30+ years
)
have most anything I order in 2-3 days max, free delivery if over $99
most of the times, if it's at the Reno Nv hub
(Not sure where the closest SR is to you maybe Ohio)
I get it sometimes even the next day, no special order & no extra charge etc.
(if ordered before the deliveries go out or night before)
delivered to my door, no leaving the house/garage, no fuel expense

maybe it would expedite the process

good luck

Last edited:
As the old saying goes. If you want something done right, do it yourself!

He's the business owner and he pretty much deals with the same suppliers he's had for years. He has to get them delivered because he's the only one working there. Unfortunately the suppliers have employees that come and go. No more steady workers. I don't bring him the parts because I will usually get parts from him when I need them.

I don't think it's just parts it's everything these days. Even at the drive-thru's they can't get the simplest order correct.

I don't think it's just parts it's everything these days. Even at the drive-thru's they can't get the simplest order correct.
That's pretty much what I'm saying. The other day I ordered 2 cheeseburgers with no ketchup. One had no ketchup and the other did. Had to return it.

He's the business owner and he pretty much deals with the same suppliers he's had for years. He has to get them delivered because he's the only one working there. Unfortunately the suppliers have employees that come and go. No more steady workers. I don't bring him the parts because I will usually get parts from him when I need them.
definition of insanity is;
doing the same thing over & over again
& expecting a different outcome

good luck

I once bought a half dozen tables covered in NOS parts. It was a Ford dealership and the parts went back to the 30's. There were many in the wrong boxes. Most issues were parts marked LH and they were RH. Correct part, wrong side. So things happen all the way back to the manufacturer.

I was saved by Ford's obsession with marking every damn thing with a navigable parts number system.

My neighbor runs a auto repair shop out of his shop on his property. We live out in the country and he gets parts delivered to him almost daily.
Seems like a different driver every time I have been there when they deliver parts. He is complaining constantly about the wrong parts being delivered and I have heard him on the phone ordering things and him saying not to deliverer this or that version of a part and to make sure it is a certain type of whatever he is looking for and they still send the wrong thing. He is 89 now and his patience is thin to say the least. He has tried different parts stores but they are all about the same with the wrong parts. Seems like a consistent problem industry wide.

He definitely needs to try a different parts supplier. More than likely he's using someone like NAPA for his normal repair work on late model vehicles. When you try to order parts from them for a 1967 you'll get all kinds of things. Most of us on here know this.

I had a girlfriend who liked McDonald's cheese burgers. She liked them plain. Try ordering a Plain Cheese Burger. She would get one without cheese, everything on it without cheese, a plain burger, even received a plain burger in the box without a bun, just a patty!
I used to ask them what don't you get? It's a plain cheese burger, key word "cheese", without any condiments, on a bun. Lol

The worst part is Nobody gives a **** about being good or efficient, they don't even know that's a thing. It's all part of the "No personnal responsibility", "No judgment" that these people have been taught. It's actually a form of entitlement.

Yeah, my buddy has been running his shop by himself since his father passed 20 years ago. He works on old and new cars. There is always ALWAYS a classic in there. From 1920s rat rods to the newest car made. He knows all the parts suppliers. This is just aggravating. These independent shops don't need the extra hassle wasting time waiting for the delivery guy to make a second trip. Time is money. That's it.

Start logging part numbers.

Instead of "I need a water pump for a '67 318 Chrysler", try "I need 45089962. Read that back to me. Confirm what is is. When will it arrive? Thank you."

Thats why when I order parts. I look it up myself and give them the part number

Most parts suppliers wont allow their counter fols to use parts num ears given them by the customers. It MUST be looked up in their system. And there is where everything goes haywire. The parts "system" is incorrect.

The worst part is Nobody gives a **** about being good or efficient, they don't even know that's a thing. It's all part of the "No personnal responsibility", "No judgment" that these people have been taught. It's actually a form of entitlement.
Exactly. And it seems like our whole society just keeps putting up with it. Why is that? "Just the way it is nowadays" is getting old real fast imo. Surely not the work ethic most of us were brought up abiding to.

Welcome to the wonderful world of dealing with the newer generation - Thats why the suppliers are all making the same mistakes - They all have the same young idiots working for them. This is your future gentlemen.

My neighbor runs a auto repair shop out of his shop on his property. We live out in the country and he gets parts delivered to him almost daily.
Seems like a different driver every time I have been there when they deliver parts. He is complaining constantly about the wrong parts being delivered and I have heard him on the phone ordering things and him saying not to deliverer this or that version of a part and to make sure it is a certain type of whatever he is looking for and they still send the wrong thing. He is 89 now and his patience is thin to say the least. He has tried different parts stores but they are all about the same with the wrong parts. Seems like a consistent problem industry wide.
WOW! 89 and still wrenching? Send along congrat's to him.

Auto Transport Service
Back