• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why did you install a Six Pack on your non Six Pack car?

Why did you install your Six Pack?

• It looks cool and I can brag that I own a Six Pack

Votes: 21 44.7%
  • To go faster

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • I lucked into one

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • I had one laying around

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Other

Votes: 9 19.1%

• Total voters

moparcanuck

Deceased, But not forgotton
Local time
9:52 AM
Reaction score
A lot of us have done it. But why? To go faster? Cause it's cool? Well here's your chance to let us know.

the most versatile power adder that can be bolted on a 440.

Good chance for you guys to educate me because all the dyno tests I've read didn't show them being any better than a good 4 barrel. The way I understand it is back in the day they were limited to cfm's with carb manufactures not offering what we have today meaning a bigger carb often meant multi carbs. Having said that I think it's just an expensive way of inviting more headaches with no real return other than the cool factor. I personally think they look really cool. Just my 2 cents

Why did you install a Six Pack on your non Six Pack car?

Beause so many are gluttons for punishment.

I'm getting tired of seeing RC's response so please post a verbal reason .. I'm doing it because they are so cool and sound awesome.

There I said it and I don't care if I can go a .10th faster with a big 4 barrel and a RPM performer or whatever. I've wanted one for 30 years and i'm having it hehehe

the most versatile power adder that can be bolted on a 440.
Ditto,'only a 360 in this camp. ('73 Cuda 4spd)
I'll add a AAR hood to the Cuda soon. The basic combo is a;

.030-KB-107 slugged 360 w/Edelbrock heads and Hooker Super Comp's into a 2-1/2 exhaust (for now) I'll add a roller cam to it later.

Currently it has a Comp solid in it with a RPM intake and a 750. This works well with the 4spd and the 4.10's. I want to use a slightly smaller (@.050) roller cam to replace the solid and grab some flexabilty with the 6 pack. The car lives on the street, not the track so the re-caming will be a mild down size from the 248* @.050.

Also no doubt in my mind and heart that a AAR hood is a dynamite look for a Cuda.

Yep! It does look cool. Though I'm not one to run the mouth and brag. Running around saying look at what I got isn't really me. But I'll be more than happy to tell ya about it if you stop me and ask! Talk MoPar? LOL, all day long!

- - - Updated - - -

747;

Back I the day..... (LOL) MoPar used Carter carbs. (this we all know) and the AVS that was in current use at the time did get as big as 750. So I don't think carb size was an issue. There was Holley also.

Multi carbs were certainly a way arond the limiting carb size issue earlier in automotive history. The 2X4 Poly 318 is a fine example of this with the twin 400's. MoPar was late to the 6 barrel option. Last if I'm not mistaken. The best thing about this package is it's flexabilty. On top of a dual plane cements it IMO.

Drive ability, nice top end power, that's what it is all about and that's the way they did it back in the day.

Now you can call me weird because I also like the TQ for the same reason. Tenie/tiny primaries, big honkin secondaries. Have you ever used one on a single plane? It's interesting!

It's really not the bragging it's the knowing you finally have one that's motivating me and the visceral sound they make, the feel of having and driving one and I want to know whats that's like. To say there is or would be now feeling of pride (I don't like to brag) would be a rare quality to just have it to go faster and not feel proud of that beautiful setup as well.

IMHFO if you actually know how to tune them, they're a great way to make decent power {yes there are better & cheaper combo's out there too} & you can have decent economy, when you don't step to hard on the skinny peddle, too often... original 440-6bbls carbs/Eddelbrock Aluminum dual plane manifolds flowed about 940cfm total {not the 1350cfm rated}, IIRC something like 270cfm on the center carb {rated @ 350cfm for the center carb} 335cfm on each vac. outboard carb @ 670cfm combined {rated each @ 500cfm per outboard carb}, good bottom end torque, decent mid upper RPM range good to about 6200rpm OOTB stock, with some tuning & better adjustable billet metering block {like Quickfuel} in the center carb & Pro-Maxx adjt. jetting plates in the outboards, Vinton needle & seats, 50cc accell. pump {I used the Brown cam} & larger down leg style squirter/discharge nozzle & hollow screw, a different power-valve to match 1/2 your vacuum @ idle, the proper springs in the outboard diaphragms {toactivate them at the proper time not to early not too late}, a 1/2"-1" phenolic or alum. spacer &/or heat shield under the carbs, #6AN or 3/8" min. fuel supply lines into the carbs vs the stock restrictive 5/16", larger 3/8" sending unit & #6AN fuel lines min. {or bigger 1/2"-8AN}, better fuel pump {I had a Aeromotive S/S 20psi pump & a bypass style regulator & constant fuel supply}, you can easily have over 7000rpm potential {if your valve-train can handle it}... Then there's the cool factor too, I like multiple carbs, I always have, some will never step outside the proverbial box & try to make something work... mine now flow 415cfm on the center carb & 535cfm on the outboards = 1485cfm about the same as a dual 750cfm tunnel ram... I went the best of 9.77 @ 135 in a 68 RR 383/479ci-6bbl MP 383/400-6bbl manifold cleaned up on the port entry, 3520lbs 727tf 3800stall 4.30:1 gears CalTrac's on M/T 315 drag radials thru the 3" Flowmasters 50 delta series mufflers pipes out the rear, in 2007 on a 100*+ day test & tune un-prepped track Sacramento Raceway... car went mid 9.90's all day long, went best of 9.74 @ 135ish w-trick Quickfuel 1050 single Dominator {flowed 1235cfm} on an Victor/Tarantula single plane ported intake manifold, un-capped w-no mufflers/exhaust system, IMHFO most of the improvement, was less weight from the exhaust out of the car & about 5* or so cooler temps mid 9.90's all day long too... mine would pull tell you float the valves way past 7000rpm

Last edited:
I would do it but at this elevation 7500 ft, anything above a 650 get very boggy.

I've wanted one since they came out in 69. Not being able to afford an A12 and since a buddy had one and made me an offer I couldn't refuse, I bought it. And I had it set up by someone who used to tune them back in the day. Not hesitation, No stalling, No nothing. When you stomp on it, it roars. Instantly.

And yes, I've heard about the performance issue compared to a 4 BBL. But compared to the 650 Carter I had, it's way faster. And there is just something mystical about a Six Pack. At car shows, 9 out of 10 people will ask if it's a Six Pack. I can now honestly answer YES! Their response? COOL!!

And then there's the cool factor. I can honestly say that's it's wwwwwaaaaaayyyyyyyyy cooler than anything else I've ever driven!!!

IMG_2146.jpg

I'm getting tired of seeing RC's response so please post a verbal reason .. I'm doing it because they are so cool and sound awesome.

There I said it and I don't care if I can go a .10th faster with a big 4 barrel and a RPM performer or whatever. I've wanted one for 30 years and i'm having it hehehe
Haha, I can't argue with that. They definitely look sweet under the hood only second to the Hemi itself.

six pack

I think they are just cool, I have one, but just never re-built it and put it on. One of these days.

Attachments

• 100_1434.jpg
    100_1434.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 463
Buddy had one back in the late 70's on his 70 Charger 4-speed, hooked ever since. Put one on mine, love the cool factor, besides the 6-pack, the cross ram would be my next choice, got one of those to, might have to pop it on another car one of these days. Also to keep the tire manufactures & gas companys in bussines.

There are a few things that really set off the 50/60s vibe: multiple carburation is one of them. They just look right!

Promax makes a plate that replaces the outboard carbs plate and a metering block for the center. A couple of other things as well.

Click here --> http://www.promaxcarbs.com

I have not checked out quick fuel yet.

I 'lucked' into mine - came with the car and had been on the car since about 1979. Too cool looking to let it go, and it does make a wonderful sound when you mash the go pedal :headbang: When I first got my car running, cruising at 60, and stomping the gas it felt like another gear kicking in. What a rush to feel that shot of power. I don't care what anyone else thinks, the 3x2 Holley setup is the ducks nuts. :icon_thumright::tongueflap::yaayy:

When a six pack set up is tuned right, they are great. But when they aren't tuned right, they can be just tons of trouble. Having owned a few, I know.

If you can tune a 4 barrel you can tune a 6 barrel, it's not rocket science.

Auto Transport Service
Back