• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why? How? the designs of the early 70's mopars...

I notice a lack of comments from a bunch of second gen owners. One reason, this is the third gen forum. Second possible reason. You guys crushed their egos by explaining how many designs are similar to Pontiac and with supporting reasoning. I think you just destroyed a bunch of pride!

You could also say the 68 Charger taillamps resemble the Corvettes. Nevertheless, borrowed styling cues aside, one cannot argue against the fact that the 2G Charger is one of the best styled cars ever produced in automotive history.

Corvette? Or Corvair? :)
1701836641797.jpeg

It wasn't just Pontiac, all the GM A bodies used a similar roof design.
R.jpeg

I notice a lack of comments from a bunch of second gen owners. One reason, this is the third gen forum. Second possible reason. You guys crushed their egos by explaining how many designs are similar to Pontiac and with supporting reasoning. I think you just destroyed a bunch of pride!
That's effing comical! No one with a second gen Charger is loosing a single ounce of pride,not to third gen cars ,Corvettes, Pontiacs or anything else! Our ego's are completely intact! There are two kinds of people out there ones who own second generation Chargers,and ones who wish they did!

Last edited:
There are plenty of owners on here who will take exception to being compared to Pontiac. Plenty.

Not everybody wants a second gen. Sorry but your egos are visible and touchy.

There are two kinds of people out there. Those who own second gen chargers and think everyone wants to be like them.

And the rest of us.

I'm balled up in a fetal position because the third gen Charger owners who have been riding our coattails are picking on me! LOL

Corvette? Or Corvair? :)
View attachment 1569182
It wasn't just Pontiac, all the GM A bodies used a similar roof design.
View attachment 1569183
My friend just bought a California GS Buick just like that in amazing condition for 10k. Try finding a second generation Charger in that condition for that price. The market has spoken about what is more desirable.

20231013_160526.jpg

I think they gave up because the thread turned to **** and got taken over by a Charger zealot who maybe needs to get out more.

Honestly, this was posted in the 71-74 section for a discussion amongst those guys and somehow got invaded.

No it started when a third gen owner started talking trash about second generation Chargers. I have six third gen Chargers so I will be a regular on here.

Last edited:
My friend just bought a California GS Buick just like that in amazing condition for 10k. Try finding a second generation Charger in that condition for that price. The market has spoken about what is more desirable.

View attachment 1569199
You'll need to compare that '67 Buick to a '67 Charger. It's harder to find a '68 - 70 GS for 10K.

You'll need to compare that '67 Buick to a '67 Charger. It's harder to find a '68 - 70 GS for 10K.
I agree. He really scored on the Buick. I told him about the car after seeing it not sell for a long time on Craigslist. He ended up buying two cars from the seller. The other was a 73 Z/28 Camaro. The 68/69 Buick GS cars don't get much love. Only the 70/71 GS/GSX 455 cars bring the strong money.

20231015_145956.jpg

Easy bud. The true Charger won 50% of the championships it was in. Lost to petty in 67.
The aerodynamic charger of the 70s won most of theirs.
The bullet era factory Chargers won 0% championships .
Only the last year of a wasn't available that year highly modified nonstock 1 of 500 car actually won. Don't get me wrong, I love me a true Daytona charger.

But the second gens were by and large a huge let down for dodge fans. Who won the 68 and 69 championships. Again.

Easy bud. The true Charger won 50% of the championships it was in. Lost to petty in 67.
The aerodynamic charger of the 70s won most of theirs.
The bullet era factory Chargers won 0% championships .
Only the last year of a wasn't available that year highly modified nonstock 1 of 500 car actually won. Don't get me wrong, I love me a true Daytona charger.

But the second gens were by and large a huge let down for dodge fans. Who won the 68 and 69 championships. Again.
They were so let down that sales went from 17,000 in 1967,to 96,000 in 1968.

They were so let down that sales went from 17,000 in 1967,to 96,000 in 1968.
Economy's good, race wins zero. The new design was shitty on the track.
Corrected in 71.

Economy's good, race wins zero. The new design was shitty on the track.
Corrected in 71.
It was corrected in 69,and both versions of the aero Chargers were faster than the third gens. In fact they were faster than any car to race on a closed course anywhere in the world from 1970 until 1984.

It was corrected in 69,and both versions of the aero Chargers were faster than the third gens.
I'm on board, but a Charger didn't grace the championship until 70 again, with the crazy parts and no restrictions. As pointed out, the next gen was the faster car with more restrictions.
A true Daytona is a cool special car though.

I'm on board, but a Charger didn't grace the championship until 70 again, with the crazy parts and no restrictions. As pointed out, the next gen was the faster car with more restrictions.
A true Daytona is a cool special car though.
I had a 500,but I will be living with my Daytona clone. Don't get me wrong,I like third gens,but there's no need to be dissing second gens!

Auto Transport Service
Back