• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why? How? the designs of the early 70's mopars...

I'm on board, but a Charger didn't grace the championship until 70 again, with the crazy parts and no restrictions. As pointed out, the next gen was the faster car with more restrictions.
A true Daytona is a cool special car though.
A Daytona with a 305 engine laid a whooping on third gens and the Fords too,if not taken out by an accident,probably would have won the race! Those were pretty tough restrictions! Another car spun out in front of the race leading number 22 Daytona taking the car out of the race!

16167_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

Last edited:
No reason to be ashamed.
500s won more races than Daytona's. Daytona's were super speedway cars. The Daytona's were built in late 69 to win the Championship in 1970 and break the 200 MPH barrier was nothing short of amazing!

Uncle Tony weighs in on the 68-70 Charger.

The 68 and 69 buick gs are pretty cheap due to the fact that no one seems to like the dated styling.
They are the buck toothed sister of the other 68/69 gm intermediates.
70 and even 71 gs OTOH are very expensive.

The 68 and 69 buick gs are pretty cheap due to the fact that no one seems to like the dated styling.
They are the buck toothed sister of the other 68/69 gm intermediates.
70 and even 71 gs OTOH are very expensive.
Exactly what I stated above.

I was replying to the post that grouped 68-70 gs all together.

68/69 is one phase on the same platform, 70-72 is the next.

Even 72 350 gs cars are a lot more expensive than 68/69 400 cars.

I was there back in those days too and bought more than 100 Chargers, as uncle Tony stated. The only part of what he said that I don't agree with, was that Chargers were cheaper than other muscle cars, or considered less of a muscle car than a Road Runner or an E body. I remember paying about the same for all of them in that era. The Charger R/T with the 440 Magnum base engine would out perform most Road Runners and small block powered A body cars dispite a few hundred pounds of extra weight. I remember people complaining that the E body cars were overweight, and most people who wanted to go fast were not building E body cars or B body cars they were putting 440 engines in A body cars. I paid 80 bucks for this 68 Charger 318 car and drove it home in 1985. Two hours later it looked like this in the second picture. It was my daily driver for 4 years. Later it got painted and got a 440 and 727 from a 71 C body. In the second picture is my 70 Charger R/T 440 4 speed car that I still have. I paid $350 for it. I paid around the same money for Road Runners and Challengers and the occasional Cuda too. Nobody wanted any of them,most could be bought for $500 or less. It was a great time to be alive and drive Mopar muscle cars on the cheap. They were plentiful too. I almost bought a 440 4 speed Hemi orange Superbird for 4 grand back then. Unfortunately no matter how much I tried to beg and borrow the funds, I couldn't get the cash together before someone else snapped it up. I remember looking at a gunmetal grey 71 Charger R/T, fresh out of the paint shop with the asking price of $500. Which seemed expensive at the time. All the trim needed to be put back on. Sure wish I would have grabbed that one too.

20200823_111049.jpg

20200823_112324.jpg

20200823_111101.jpg

Last edited:
I was replying to the post that grouped 68-70 gs all together.

68/69 is one phase on the same platform, 70-72 is the next.

Even 72 350 gs cars are a lot more expensive than 68/69 400 cars.
I paid $50 for a 68 GS 400 with a blown rear end, and sold it to my friends brother for the same 50 bucks. To this day those cars don't get much love. My friend who just bought the 67 GS has a 69 GS Stage 1 convertible as well. He is a big Mopar guy, and has about 40 Mopars. He also has about 20 mixed GM cars too.

I spent hours yesterday afternoon giving one of my third generation Chargers some love. I body worked,sanded and primed this front fender, the other side was done last week. The car should start to come together in the spring.

20231205_142524.jpg

20231205_142539.jpg

I was there back in those days too and bought more than 100 Chargers, as uncle Tony stated. The only part of what he said that I don't agree with, was that Chargers were cheaper than other muscle cars, or considered less of a muscle car than a Road Runner or an E body. I remember paying about the same for all of them in that era. The Charger R/T with the 440 Magnum base engine would out perform most Road Runners and small block powered A body cars dispite a few hundred pounds of extra weight. I remember people complaining that the E body cars were overweight, and most people who wanted to go fast were not building E body cars or B body cars they were putting 440 engines in A body cars. I paid 80 bucks for this 68 Charger 318 car and drove it home in 1985. Two hours later it looked like this in the second picture. It was my daily driver for 4 years. Later it got painted and got a 440 and 727 from a 71 C body. In the second picture is my 70 Charger R/T 440 4 speed car that I still have. I paid $350 for it. I paid around the same money for Road Runners and Challengers and the occasional Cuda too. Nobody wanted any of them,most could be bought for $500 or less. It was a great time to be alive and drive Mopar muscle cars on the cheap. They were plentiful too. I almost bought a 440 4 speed Hemi orange Superbird for 4 grand back then. Unfortunately no matter how much I tried to beg and borrow the funds, I couldn't get the cash together before someone else snapped it up. I remember looking at a gunmetal grey 71 Charger R/T, fresh out of the paint shop with the asking price of $500. Which seemed expensive at the time. All the trim needed to be put back on. Sure wish I would have grabbed that one too.

View attachment 1569245

View attachment 1569246

View attachment 1569247

When I bought my first Mopar in 2001, a 1970 Charger, My older brother (born in 1971) said (while admiring my car) "those were poor peoples cars back in the 70's-80's"

When I bought my first Mopar in 2001, a 1970 Charger, My older brother (born in 1971) said (while admiring my car) "those were poor peoples cars back in the 70's-80's"
Lol, tell him that’s not true, poor people couldn’t buy a new Charger and they didn’t want to buy a Chevy or Ford cuz they lacked what the Chargers had…the cool factor, even when – pre-owned.

He is correct about that. I bought my 71 Challenger Shaker convertible in 1972 for $1950 because it was a good looking car and cheap. The $1950 I spent in 1972 for the car is only $14,800 in 2023. Can't buy a one year old car today for that. Dodge cars were for those who couldn't afford the Shelby Mustangs, Yenko Camaros, etc. back then. BTW, I was an E-4 in the Navy then, earning about $400 a month, and my payment was about $100 a month on the car.
Terry W.

Didn’t have much cash then at my age, but working, when I bought my 1st ‘new’ car, a ’73 Challenger, trading in (grrr) my ’70 Cuda vert. Before that had a ’67 GTO vert. I looked at Firebirds, Camaro’s, Mustangs, but mopar got into my blood by then and knew a few well-off people who bought mopars when they could have afforded other brands. No disagreement they could be had for a tad less, (depending on what options you wanted), but saying only poor people bought them? Not always..

Lol, tell him that’s not true, poor people couldn’t buy a new Charger and they didn’t want to buy a Chevy or Ford cuz they lacked what the Chargers had…the cool factor, even when – pre-owned.
The window sticker on my parents 70 Charger R/T SE was $4500.00. Not exactly a poor persons car.

20220531_224057.jpg

moms Charger.jpg

Chargers were never poor people's cars until they were over 10 years old.

That was when a Charger Zealot like myself really cleaned up! I bought every one of them I could find!

Auto Transport Service
Back