• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why I'm restoring and not restomoding without matching numbers

Hemi Coronet

Local time
8:57 AM
Reaction score
Hi Fellow Moparites,

Im so glad I found this site...I have a huge task ahead of me and I believe that this site will play a big role in the restoration of a Barn Find / Theft Recovery. 1967 Coronet R/T that has come into my possession. Its a real WS23J71 car that was unfortunately stored... taken apart for restoration then all of the parts stolen from it. Motor/trans / grill/ interior/ bumpers / grill/ radiator ...etc. Basically a shell now. I was an automatic car with a 8-3/4 but a 4 spd conversion was started, Im more partial to 4spd so I will be making it a 4spd car. Im hoping with so perseverance instead of Procrastination( to do this car justice). Another unfortunate issue was that the fender tag was taken as well... No build sheets, So I have contacted Galen Govier and he has verified the VIN is real...So I will have to either not worry about the fender tag and just try to get a 1966-1967 motor and trans as close as I can. and just drive it on Sundays and the local car show. I know for sure that I will graciously accept all advice and information that will help me along the way.....Patrick

IMG_2021.JPG

well the "good" thing about a car built prior to 1/2 way through 1968 is that as long as you have correctly dated parts and engine block, you basically have "the original" motor and no one can argue.

WOW.. you actually got ahold of Govier! I mean what a task ahead of you....

Unfortunate all the goodies are gone and you just have the shell with a good VIN tag on the dash. Like others have said, all you need to do is be in the "date code" ball park on a '67. That said, and what I've been through having ALL the #matching parts and a driving car before I started a restoration.... I'd take that blank canvas and use it liberally.

welcome to FBBO sounds like a good project keep us posted

Welcome from Georgia.

Welcome, Patrick! I think it's great that you're going to build it the way you want. And it sounds like you're good with being honest about what it is and not trying to pass it off as all original. There's no reason to hide it's history. The stories behind these cars are as interesting as the cars themselves. Good luck with it - we'll be interested in following your progress. Consider starting a build thread. Lots of great people here willing to help with great information. How about some more pics?

welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

Welcome from NW CT. Looks like a great project - please keep us posted...

welcome from another canadian build it to suit your self or you will regret it

Welcome from the show me state!!!

WOW.. you actually got ahold of Govier! I mean what a task ahead of you....

Unfortunate all the goodies are gone and you just have the shell with a good VIN tag on the dash. Like others have said, all you need to do is be in the "date code" ball park on a '67. That said, and what I've been through having ALL the #matching parts and a driving car before I started a restoration.... I'd take that blank canvas and use it liberally.
Yeah was surprised to hear this too!

Yeah, I did take a while for his response....I did contact him shortly after I purchased the car in March of 2018...He just responded in April of this year...Guess he was intrigued... 1 of 282 I'm told.
Thanks for all the encouragement...I will up load more pic(s) when I get back from water birding fires out west.

LOL.. I see nothing has changed. 13 months. Better than the 15 years I've been waiting for a car decode from a VIN, door VIN, 1.5 Broadcast sheets, etc, yet he did my other one back then from a fender tag and VIN and sent it.. but still nothing for the other one. I guess it was too much work.

Sounds like a great project, just don't wrap yourself up too much in "correct".. it'll kill you!

welcome to the site
that is a mighty awesome money pit you have there
good luck with it.

Welcome and you do have a job ahead of you. '66/'67 Coronet parts are hard to find and $$$$ as very few reproductions are made for them. They are beautiful cars though so go for it!

Congrats and welcome. If you can find Galen, you can do anything. How about some more pictures.

Auto Transport Service
Back