• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is there a GRND connection on my 65 ignition switch?

493 Mike

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:53 PM
Reaction score
The FSM does not show one and I can't think of any reason to need one.
Mike

You only are using 5 terminals and not the one that says ground right? Typically the ones that had the ground used was for a bulb test for the warning light in the cluster as I recall. C-body cars.

You only are using 5 terminals and not the one that says ground right? Typically the ones that had the ground used was for a bulb test for the warning light in the cluster as I recall. C-body cars.
Who knows what switch is in my 57 year old car! Hell, I'm running all the connections to ground. I have a Infinity system. All switches go to ground to operate. Pretty neat system.
Mike

Who knows what switch is in my 57 year old car! Hell, I'm running all the connections to ground. I have a Infinity system. All switches go to ground to operate. Pretty neat system.
Mike
Never heard of an Infinity system. Whats that?

It is quite sophisticated in operation but rather simple in theory. As mopar 3 B stated above, all switches use grounding of the battery feed connection to signal the Master cell that the operator wants to use whatever device the switch controls. Since very small current is required to operate the computer, very small wire size is used (a weight saving feature) for signaling. The Master then sends a signal to an individual node in a Power cell which does the work of sending operating current to the device desired. Each cell includes diagnostic LEDs, fuses, and 25 amp load capacity. Cell connectors come prewired with top quality cable. A CAN system connects the Master to each Power cell, which are supplied with fused battery power to supply all devices. The use of the CAN system eliminates large amounts of wire which also cuts weight and routing difficulties. It takes a while to wrap your head around the wiring (at least it did for me) but, it is an impressive system. Of course, they have a web site you can access.
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back