• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why it seems just about every Charger for sale has fresh thick undercoating?

Sorry for the rant. I just agree. I've been seeing the same thing and ask myself... "How the hell are they trying to ask THAT much for a car with THAT much crap sprayed on it."... You can't see ****. Goop everywhere. Like a sign saying "corners WERE cut"

Agree - I'm in the market for a '68-'69 and the mess undercoating greatly reduces my evaluation of a car.

Fortunately not in all cases. Still have the 54 year old undercoating and all floors and trunk are still solid. And this was a Northeast car since new.
Baby Blue (my former '68 GTX) was the same. Car came from the DC metro area, and still had (has) perfect original floor pans and trunk floor. I won't say this is because of the undercoating, it was actually my friend Bob's fanatic attention to sealing the water leak points our cars are famous for, but the undercoating didn't hurt. My dad always ordered it on his new Valiants and one Dodge Dart. Checked the old window sticker from the 1970 model, price was $16.40, and included the hood insulation pad.

Over the decades I have owned a ton of old Mopars, the vast majority came factory undercoated.
Someone looks at a old MoparI have for sale, and the underoat to applied makes the guy want to call me a lier, he can keep on looking.

My red Charger only had the pancake batter sound deadening in the wheel wells. I painted the underside and yes I do drive the car. I do put it up on the lift frequently to wipe it down just because I like it clean.
Bugs and rodents are usually the only ones that know how shiny it is under there.
My other Charger had the stuff from front to back . Both have been in California since they are new.
I used a needle scaler to remove most of it since I planned to weld in frame connectors and torque boxes. I will probably paint the u derided like I did with the red car.
Graveyard Cars seems to undercoat everything. Maybe they think the customers want that.

A true resto is bring the car back to as "assembled from the factory" condition, NO more NO less/ Bc/cc is not factoru either, but...... maybe GYC does true restos and maybe they also build a car as instructed by owner!!

factory undercoat I have removed protected the metal underneath very well......but it seems most times they lacked full coverage, with nothing else to protect....... also, I think a lot of rot issues start on the inside, under the carpet; and the areas boxed in by the frame rails

Usually the fancier the reto and more $ spent, the less the guy will drive his car, affraid of getting a door ding, scratch. Yea some willdrive the wheels off most b=not. Then the guy will want a good driver type carto go with the perfect show poodle. So th rstore carwith all rust repaired painted floor orundercoated will probably last another 50 years especially sitting is a garage!!

I'd really like a non-undercoated car to daily.. a very nice one. Just loads of examples of slathered on goo out there right now. ick.

undercoating your restoration is as permanent as a tattoo.....make sure it is really what you want

20220828_132941.jpg

Usually the fancier the reto and more $ spent, the less the guy will drive his car, affraid of getting a door ding, scratch. Yea some willdrive the wheels off most b=not. Then the guy will want a good driver type carto go with the perfect show poodle. So th rstore carwith all rust repaired painted floor orundercoated will probably last another 50 years especially sitting is a garage!!
Baby Blue was driven 100,000 well maintained daily miles, then taken off the road when I bought her in 1983. Rust repair in the left quarter and a $2000 respray in 1985. Hardly a show poodle, but keeping her out of the elements enabled her to survive another 35 years with no deterioration other than some crazing clear coat. The picture was taken in 2020, 35 years, and 17,000 miles after the paint and body work.
IMG_0086.JPG

I am in the process of scraping factory undercoating off of my car. It is a horrible and time consuming job so i can understand why some would not want to go through or pay for that process. My plan is to paint the bottom with "chassis black" paint, although not correct for a factory resto it will keep it clean looking and it will also be easy to touch up inevitable stone chips.

I am in the process of scraping factory undercoating off of my car. It is a horrible and time consuming job so i can understand why some would not want to go through or pay for that process. My plan is to paint the bottom with "chassis black" paint, although not correct for a factory resto it will keep it clean looking and it will also be easy to touch up inevitable stone chips.
Are you using a needle scaler?

Ooof.
The needle scaler makes it MUCH faster and easier.

Are you using a needle scaler?
I started doing the job with a propane torch and a scraper it was a slow process and i am sure the fumes are not great for ones health! I bought a needle scaler and it was at least 3 times faster. Well worth the money!

I thought that it was pretty common from the factory. My car certainly has it. It is old and faded, but now I am hesitant to refresh it, because I dont want to be accused of hiding something!! haha.
I like when I see the old factory under coating on the cars it has that grayish/brown look to it.

I have several flexible metal scrapers of various width.... I round the corners so they don't dig in and "grab".........little heat with a propane torch and it comes up in strips

Auto Transport Service
Back