• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why lump the 71-74's together?

More hidden headlamp "facts", they are not "outlawed" but restricted by design:

What’s changed in the last decade have been European design laws requiring the front end of cars to be more readily deformable—a move intended to protect pedestrians in case of a crash. (Section 7.2.3.3 of this 2004 report [PDF] presented to the European Commission has more on the changes required.) It is difficult to create hidden headlights that comply with these laws, and the high costs of doing so aren’t worth it to most manufacturers. Although the EU rulings don’t govern cars in the United States, auto manufacturers operate globally, so the diminished global desire for hidden headlamps has affected our bumpers too.

Complete article:
https://slate.com/human-interest/20...-why-the-hidden-headlamp-has-disappeared.html

My 1972 Superbird conversion will be called a "Super Satellite" with concealed headlamps and nosecone as pictured in the yellow MPC plastic mode (see foto one)l. I have a pair of the Mazda RX7 single hidden headlamps that I will use for the build in storage, but they will be converted to smaller dual versions (see foto two) available for Mazda in the aftermarket.

The plastic scale model of the '72 Road Runner (see foto three) uses a Satellite theme for the striping, which does not look too bad, but like most I eliminated that lower side moulding already. My project is moving along, will not use the air grabber as shown in the plastic model, but it will have (already installled) the factory style '71 backlight louvers (see foto four). I still have a long way to go. P.S. My Bahama Yellow '72 Satellite Sebring Plus has been converted over to use the '71 bumper, tail lights, and side markers if you didn't notice.

I have already installed a complete '72 Road Runner grille, but the nose conversion will probably only retain the metal mesh intake and eliminate all the plastic pieces.

My build thread:
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...project-odyssey-a-1972-super-satellite.91765/

71 superbird model.png rx7.JPG plastic 72 RR.jpg DSC01319.JPG

Last edited:
Fenders will match between 71/72 and 73/74... differences are not obviouslly visible, since they are inside, but outside is a perfect match and will bolt on

Except quarters, rest of glasses are the same. Firewall is the same, floor boards could get minor stuff easy to match.

Just parts related with front frame rails are really different due the isolation ( this includes of course the front suspension )

Doors and quarters are diff, yes, but keept same design with just a "face lift" touch... somethink like we can see on 69 and 70 Coronets with lot of diff body parts

several ppl like to call 73/74 as 3 1/2 gen
Maybe south of the border but not here.

Dash is the same, cluster is the same, seats are either the same or interchange, floor pan is the same, cowl is the same, bumpers interchange, lots of trim is the same including mirrors, most interior panels interchange, doors and fenders can be made to interchange but will not line up style line wise.

So, yes they are subsets of the same set, with some carryover to 75-79, but nowhere near the same amount of interchange besides the ISO suspension.
You need to start ordering parts and restoring one of these and get back with us. Then tell us what's the same.

The point is there is a LOT more same parts and or interchange between 71/72/73/74 in the body, interior, glass, and trim than there is between 73/74 and 75-79.

The suspension did change in 73, with minor changes mid 73 and/or 74, and most of those changes carried on through 79.

Again, Mopar society has already spoken.

71-74

75-79

Done.

The point is there is a LOT more same parts and or interchange between 71/72/73/74 in the body, interior, glass, and trim than there is between 73/74 and 75-79.

The suspension did change in 73, with minor changes mid 73 and/or 74, and most of those changes carried on through 79.

Again, Mopar society has already spoken.

71-74

75-79

Done.
I know. What is this questioning the Mopar Gods? Blasphemy!

All of the generations get grouped together, the 66/67 are the first generation, the 68-70 Chargers are the second generation, the 71 to 74 Chargers are the third generation Chargers, the 75 to 80 Chargers /Cordobas/Magnums are the fourth generation are the fourth generation, the Omni Chargers are the fifth generation, and the Current Chargers are the sixth generation, thats just how it is on the Dodge Charger side of things.

Last edited:
You guys do know Plymouth made a B body? 71-72, 73-74. I stand by my post RED X and all.
But I think you Dodge boys will find it easier to get your leg wet pissing in the wind than to match 71-72 to 73-74 Plymouth panel body lines.

A 73/74 Plymouth front clip will fit on a 71/72 ( with minor tweaks or mix of parts on bumper brackets I guess, like Dodges need ) similar to the 70 Charger on a 68/69, althought is true the body lines on these Plymouths are not a perfect match.

Even front rails ( along with suspension ) and front clip are diff between 71/72 and 73/74, from firewall to rear the car is essentially the same and the Firewall allong with A pillars is basically what defines a the body class and gen, not just the looks. This applies on other brands too. The 1st gen Chevelle is a good example of this which by the way gets way more differences between 64/65 and 66/67 than the Plymouths. Then the second gen got differences too between them along the years. It's a mix of things.

Is true 73/74s could be named maybe 3rd and a half gen, but definitelly there is not a full divorce between them

( I don't know the reason for the "south of the border" coment thought )

Last edited:
Simply sit in the driver's seat and look around.

No contest.

71-74

75-79

The G series platform is the designated classification for the 71-74 Dodge and Plymouth B body vehicles. We are not lumping them together, Chrysler Corporation did that themselves.

my questions is this, are the front clips the same on all Bs from 71 to 74?

Because all the “Chargers” are 2 door Coronets. The VIN on all of them starts with a “W”.:D

Auto Transport Service
Back