• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why me again? Need help please!

mpro69rr

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:32 AM
Reaction score
1969 RR 383 4 speed. I had many problems with this restoration and with all of your help was able to fix them. This morning I brought it to the alignment shop to get it done. Everything went well and drives real nice. I look down to my fuel and temp gauge and they are pegged all the way to the left, down below the line. When I did the instrument panel I replaced all wiring and the circuit board for the panel. I looked at the fuses and I saw I blew two, so I replaced them, didn't fix the problem! Any ideas? I am getting so frustrated with this build! Every time something works I find out later on it doesn't, it never ends!

Resized_20230715_153732.jpeg
Resized_20230715_153745.jpeg

Instrument voltage regulator open no voltage?
But then it wouldn't start correct? I just replaced the voltage regulator a little while ago because it would not start.

But then it wouldn't start correct? I just replaced the voltage regulator a little while ago because it would not start.
Instrument regulator.....it's on the back side of the gauge cluster. It doesn't have anything to do with the charging system.

There is a voltage LIMITER plugged in the back of the cluster. Hopefully that is whats wrong. Good luck

Instrument regulator.....it's on the back side of the gauge cluster. It doesn't have anything to do with the charging system.
Do I have to take the whole instrument panel out again?

There is a voltage LIMITER plugged in the back of the cluster. Hopefully that is whats wrong. Good luck
Where on the back, can I do it without taking the panel out?

You can replace the voltage limiter without pulling the cluster out.

Might be easier to pull the cluster?? Don't know because never pulled one from a rr....my 66 Belvedere cluster comes out pretty easily.

Might be easier to pull the cluster?? Don't know because never pulled one from a rr....my 66 Belvedere cluster comes out pretty easily.
Cluster is not easy on a RR, you have to take the whole dash apart.

Back of instrument panel and you probably need to remove instrument panel

Cluster is not easy on a RR, you have to take the whole dash apart.
I know they made some changes to the dash after 67....just don't know how much change was made. My 66 has been a pretty easy car to work on....kinda like a 66 Mustang only the Plymouth is a MUCH better built car!

Did you replace the gasket under the barrel connector? Between the cluster housing and back of the circuit board is suppose to be a gasket. The only reason I know was that I forgot mine the first time and got random short to ground issues as the back of the pin connectors made slight contact with the housing. With blown fuses it might be a possibility.

20230715_150207.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back