• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why Mopar ?

I was five years old the first time I saw a 68 Charger R/T. It was on the other side of the gas pump. When I saw the attendant putting the gas in the top of the rear quarter,I thought that it was the coolest thing I had ever seen. Then the guy fired up the Charger and as I watched from the backseat of my moms Impala,he took off down the street blazing the tires sideways! I was hooked! Then My parents divorced,and my step father bought a brand new 70 Charger R/T SE. That was our family car until 1982. My brother in law had a beautiful 70 Challenger R/T 440 Sixpack car. I bought my first Mopar in 1980. It was a 69 Charger 318. When my mom was ready to replace the 70 Charger R/T SE,I wanted to buy it,but she wouldn't sell it to me. A friend of mine bought it. My mom said that I would kill myself in it.so I bought a Yellow 70 Charger R/T SE 440 4 speed car. I told my mom,that she should have sold me her car,because I bought one anyway. She replied,well if you kill yourself in that one,atleast I know I didn't give it to you! I still have my yellow 70 Charger R/T SE.View attachment 631034
How much you pay for the yellow charger ?

My dad was never a car guy, he just drove beaters. My sister's boyfriend took me on a wild ride in a 1970 Ford Torino. That hooked me to hotrods. My sister then bought a 73 Road Runner with a 340 to keep up with her boyfriend. She beat it for a couple of years, and then sold it to me cheap. So it became my first car, and I still (sort of) have it - it is now my son's first car.

So I guess I was first just a hotrod guy, then fell into Mopar. Since then, I have come to appreciate all the wild paint, graphics, etc. Who the hell would put a cartoon character on a car and give it a stupid "beep-beep" horn? Love it! It's different!

Hawk

The toys I miss the most from my child hood are my Hot Wheels, so I've always been into cars. All cars, almost anything with a motor. My dad was car guy (never owned a muscle car) and had car mags growing up so I read a lot of them, also taught me how to take care of a vehicle at a young age. Dukes, Vanishing Point ('71) were also a big influence as well. Growing up in L.A. county, the center of Kustom Kulture, you see a lot and Mopars are still very limited in any form. I love the look, the stance, the sound and was always more partial to sedans over pony cars.

My father used to have mopars and I learned to drive in a 68 Coronet 440 wagon, old Betsy. What really hooked me was in 1980 I bought a 70 Satellite drop top for $400. It was a 318, 3 on the tree and the trunk extensions were rotted out, but I drove it for 4 years through college. There was a lot of partying, concerts and girls with that car. After college, I parked the car with the intention of restoring it. Never did, fast forward 20 years, the internet became reality and I found another 70 Satty droptop in Iowa. Drove that for 7 years and found and fell in love with my 70 RR, had that for 6 years then just found ANOTHER 70 Satty drop top, which is my current ride. Think I have an obsession with 70 Satty drop tops? Trying to relive my youth????
:drinks::fool::monkeyleft::usflag:

My dad was always a chevy guy, had a nicely hopped-up blazer that he bought new and a 454 monte...other side of the family was all ford stuff. The one exception was my uncle that bought a 68 440/4speed GTX upon returning from vietnam, which he still has(yeah he always was/is that 'cool' uncle). First real muscle car rides(burnouts!)were in that car. Then there was pop's buddy across the street with a black 70 challenger. Wicked car..I remember having to 'time-out' the street ball many times as that car rumbled up the street, that grill looked like a monster coming at us little turds...and, oh yeah, the 'ol General Lee sealed the deal. Everyone in high school(late 80s for me) had GM/Ford cars...lots of fun but the one buddy that had a 69 dart got made fun of constantly(is that your GRANDMA'S car?!) he always had the last laugh...no one could touch that thing. I had a demon then just a /6 but every bit as quick as the kids that had the slick IROC camaros of the day(yawn)....

The first car I remember Dad having was a 57 Savoy. Then a 59 Sport Fury. White over red and gold trim. Traded it o a new 66 Coronet 440 with the 6. I learned to work on cars on that. Did all the tuneups. dad said it never ran better-i bumped the timing 2°. Learned to drive in his 70 318 Challenger. Maintained it and then his 75 Cordoba. Meanwhile I bought a 65 383 SF then a 72 Charger SE then a 73.
Everyone I knew had Chevys or Fords. I helped them work on em and they seemed crude compared to MoPars. Had 2 more C bodies, then other assorted Mopars. Still have a 92 Dakota as the daily driver. They get in your blood.

For some reason I liked Chrysler from around 5 years old when the finned beasts were still on the road and thought the push button trans was really neat. Didn't realize at that time the motors they had in them. My family was Merc's, T-Birds, then a few Pontiacs as my brother influenced my dad to buy a '63 GP with factory tri-power. Then my bro got into the GTO's big time. I took my driver's test in the GP and was the 1st car I was driving around. It was a cool car. My uncle had a '57 Desoto I thought was so cool then his son bought a '64 Fury, within a few months he somehow talked his dad into co-signing (he was 18) on a '64 Polara 426 4sp! He gained a lot of trophies with it. Something about mopar style and of course power that was in my blood after a stint with a GTO for a while. My 1st was a '70 Cuda drop top 383 4sp I of course wish I still had. In '95 I had to buy a '63 Fury convert remembering the body lines of my cousin's car that stuck. I still have it $50,000 later with all the resto!

Why mopar = why pussy. Don’t know, just feels right.

I have friends that go the other way. I don’t get it but hey, it’s all good. Someone’s gotta drive a Chevy, right?

Why mopar = why pussy. Don’t know, just feels right.

I have friends that go the other way. I don’t get it but hey, it’s all good. Someone’s gotta drive a Chevy, right?
:lol:

I did not come from a car family. My dad always had used 4 doors and wagons, Ford, Chevy Plymouth, he has never owned a 2 door that I know of.

My best friends dad was and is a Mopar guy. He has a 68 Charger and 67 Fury convertible I would catch rides in. The Charger was just a perfect looking car. It got me interested in cars so I bought books about Mopars and really got into them. I always liked the styling better than other makes.

I can remember him taking us to the Mopar Nats and seeing so many great cars and watching the drag races. I use to buy the Wheeler Dealer to look for Mopars to maybe buy and go see. Not like I had a lot of money but I really appreciated the cars and just liked looking them over.

So you do drive mopars only right
1514924592000-202391982.jpg

I did not come from a car family. My dad always had used 4 doors and wagons, Ford, Chevy Plymouth, he has never owned a 2 door that I know of.

My best friends dad was and is a Mopar guy. He has a 68 Charger and 67 Fury convertible I would catch rides in. The Charger was just a perfect looking car. It got me interested in cars so I bought books about Mopars and really got into them. I always liked the styling better than other makes.

I can remember him taking us to the Mopar Nats and seeing so many great cars and watching the drag races. I use to buy the Wheeler Dealer to look for Mopars to maybe buy and go see. Not like I had a lot of money but I really appreciated the cars and just liked looking them over.
how do you like those ultra flow mufflers, i went with accurate brand of magnaflow for mopars because the case and overall lenght was same as factory mufflers
20180614_182949.jpg
20180614_180818.jpg

My first Car was a 69 318 Charger, 2nd was a 70 Charger with a 383 4 speed, 3rd car was a 68 Hemi Charger & my 4th was a 69 Daytona. All by the age of 20.

Considering that this was in the late 70s, early 80s, the grand total for those cars was probably less than $2500.
Ahhhh... the good old days!
That is a good pedigree to have though: First 4 cars being 2nd gen Chargers!

Auto Transport Service
Back