• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wide front tire/ manual steering ? how wide before problems ?

rustytoolss

Local time
4:43 PM
Reaction score
My 62 Plymouth Fury Wagon has manual steering (plan to update to power steering) . I want to put some 255/55/17 wheels/tires on all four corners. Would going to a 255 wide tire damage the manual steering gear box. I 'm sure when moving it would not be much of a problem. But when stopped I'm sure the load might be stressful , but would it cause a problem? How wide front tire have you used ?

Last edited:
1962 Dodge Polara 500
What engine? I replaced the 361 with a 440 plus it's an automatic. Hand over hand and you need to be moving when parking it. Other than that it's like power steering. I have Cooper radials 225/70/15

You won't hurt the manual box. Just make sure the attaching bolts are all tight.
Then start pumping iron.You'll need some Hulk biceps to park that thing.:poke:

Last edited:
1962 Dodge Polara 500
What engine? I replaced the 361 with a 440 plus it's an automatic. Hand over hand and you need to be moving when parking it. Other than that it's like power steering. I have Cooper radials 225/70/15
It's got a 318 polysphere/727 . Right now it has 225/60/15 tires all around.

I ran 275/35/18's on the front of this car with a Flaming River 16to1 manual box.
It was UN-driveable..I swapped in a factory manual box.It was much better.But tough at slow speeds.Like parking.
72plymouth GTX-R SIDE.JPG

7 inches wide, no issues... as long as you are moving, even a little bit. Back out of a parking space, let go of the wheel, drive ahead and mine will straighten itself out, then grab the wheel again.

Worst car I ever owned from day 1.The most expensive too.
Glad it's gone. Very long story.
Back to you. 62 Plymouth B body is one of my favorites ! and a wagon to boot !

My Satellite had 255/60/15 tires on the front when I bought it. It was a bitch steering it at slow speeds. When I got new tires I put 215/65/15 on the front - which is similar in size to the original 14" tires the car was built with. I keep around 40lbs of air in them and it steers much better at slow speeds.

Parking lots will suck, really depends on what you’re doing. If you’re always (and only) “driving the car” it’s not too bad. For me, I like to drive mine and that means taking it to work. I usually bring a coffee with me in the morning, guaranteed you aren’t holding that cup in one hand and doing any driving with the other. Wheel needs to turn too far on real corners for one hand and pulling out of roads sucks. I switched to power.

Auto Transport Service
Back