• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will a stock 400 smoke the tires?

I was thinking the other day I had a couple of 75, 77 440's and pound for pound the 4 barrel, stock 400's I had were better than the dog 440's were.

I had a 72 Newport with a 400. It could smoke the exhaust real good.

My '73 Satellite 400-2bbl with 2.76 open gears will smoke one tire for as long as I hold it to the floor. Granted, the tires are smallish 225/70-14s all around but the engine's got grunt for an 87K mile mill with zero mods.

In college, I had a stock Dodge Charger w/400 Magnum 4bbl and I could definitely smoke the tires. Currently have a stock 72 440 Magnum automatic and can smoke them and sometimes breaking into 2nd gear.

I had a 72 230 thick main web block that had a factory forged crank. I personally disassembled the engine and the bearings were date coded to when it was built. The story was that it came out of a 72 charger with a 4 speed. I believe a number of early engines with 4 speeds received forged cranks.
Yes. The 4spds, especially trucks had the forged cranks

It will depend on how sticky and wide your tires are. But I had a few stock 72's with the 400 and they all would smoke the tires. One struggled but it would do it.

In our testing the early 230 blocks with only the double size
casting numbers in height (Cold Weather Blocks) have the
thickest walls by far. They are worth money and I am constantly
looking for Them. The thicker the wall = the better potential ring
seal.

I believe we have one of the fastest and most successful Stock
400 Racecars in the Country IF not the fastest. We built it and did
not buy a fast car!

I have disassembled over 30 400's over the last 50 years and have
yet to find a Forged Crank in my experience.

Google John Irving Drag Racer

John it is fact that in 1972 and possibly73 4 speed 400 engines were steel cranks. Bought my first in 1977 from original owner with 21,000 miles.
1972 Satellite Sebring Plus 400 4speed 3.23 suregrip. Mine had 3.91's after a year or two when original owner broke the 3.23's.

I bought another complete 400 from a Gunmetal Grey 72 Road Runner 4speed with A/C (which my original owner was told was unavailable) with steel crank in the late 80's and then back in 2014 bought the original 400 from a GK5 72 Satellite Sebring Plus (best friend of my car's original owner) 4 speed with steel crank. Crank is sitting here in my basement now with surface rust on it.
Ron

Raceway3.jpg

I've seen a few 72-74 400 4 speed AC cars.

That was available.

440 4 speed AC was not.

Interesting thread.
Ive got a matching numbers 72 RR 400-4bbl (w/Holley carb) with the auto. I think the only way I could smoke tires would be with the original skinny 14 inchers and by dumping the clutch with a 4 speed, and then it wouldnt be too impressive. Probably hard to get much more than a decent chirp.

Drove my 72' newport to work today with a stock 400 4bbl dual exhaust. Plenty of smoke but it sure as hell wasnt from me.

20220412_064434.jpg

That 77 2 barrel motor I had in my Bee for a while would smoke the tires in the van it came out of.

IDK what you guys had going on with any of your 400's in cars that wouldn't light them up.

In fact, the 73 400-2 I bought for a way back burner 451 project would smoke the tire in the 2.76 geared 4,000 pound Newport it came out of.

Auto Transport Service
Back