• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will a stock 400 smoke the tires?

Driver error. I can smoke the tires in a 4 banger Honda if someone bet me. 80 MPH then slam on the brakes. :lol:

The 400s are a week @ss smog motor but make great strokers. Biggest stock bore of any Mopar big block. Look it up.

yea, that cost money and time, lol. We'll see. Kinda want to have 1 summer enjoy driving it before I tear in apart.

Here is a result of over twisting a 400.. This one was stroked to 426 With Chevy 454 rods.. He told me one piston was stuck in the block and they could not remove it. Also broke the head in half.
IMG_0448.JPG
IMG_0449.JPG
IMG_0450.JPG
IMG_0451.JPG
IMG_1139.JPG

A guy I work with offered to sell me a 400 he got out of a ‘72 Newport a month ago. I declined. It did have a drilled pilot, so a forged crank.
As I remember = Even Stick 400s had a cast crank.
Funny = Our Stock 400 73 Roadrunner runs high 10's or low 11's
depending on what class we run (H/SA I/SA J/SA)

Google: John Irving Drag Racer

Looks like an engine design error to me. What was over twisting, 10K?
From what they told me he hit neutral and no revlimiter in the MSD box at the time. Over shifted and in 2 seconds whammo.. Was not there don't know the truth.
Was in this Barracuda.. Note all the rednecks jabbering..

That isn't YOU with the man bun, is it?

With 4.88 gears a Volkswagen will smoke the tires....
Probably not. A stock 1960 VW had a 4.33 final drive, and didn't get very much smoke. :) By 1965 they had 4.375:1, presumably because they were competing, and losing against pedestrians.

Damn, I was hoping for a video of when he blew it up. Not a bunch of chuckling drunkards.
This was the second time they built that engine. The first time it was blown up they dropped it off at an alignment shop to get the front end setup. They came to pick it up the next day and it was blown up. I hear so many stories about how that thing blew up the first time. The second time it was Steves fault all the way. The first time they blamed the alignment shop for doing burnouts with it in the parking lot. They said they had "video evidence" I believe they are full of ****.

Well, this guys got a 400and doing a burnout. Gives me some hope! :p

As I remember = Even Stick 400s had a cast crank.
Funny = Our Stock 400 73 Roadrunner runs high 10's or low 11's
depending on what class we run (H/SA I/SA J/SA)

Google: John Irving Drag Racer

Really? It looked just like my ‘69 383 crank. In fact, aren’t they the same?

When all the weight is on the front end I sure hope to hell he could turn them over.
Looked like a stinkbug pissing its pants.

When it comes to that... I’m stuck in the late 70’s. I like the *** in the air on certain Mopars.

A smog 400 can easily light tires up?

With enough charcoal fluid and a long match?

The '72 400 block is the one to get.
that's what I used to build my 451 that's in my car. What's special about the 72 year? I had the cylinder walls measured and they were good, but a bit all over the place and no such luck for me on it having the massively thick cylinder walls mentioned for some of the 400 blocks, which I later found out is pretty rare.

Auto Transport Service
Back