• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will either of these cams work for me?

guysrt

Local time
10:22 AM
Reaction score
I have a stock bore,stock piston, stock intake, stock exhaust 1968 440HP.
I want to keep the stock look. I am going to use 440 source stealth heads. 440 source hyd roller lifters and either comp cams XR274HR-10 or XR280HR-10
Just a street cruiser, but want a little more than stock grunt. I know I'll probably have to put a converter in it, that's not a problem. Will this work, and if there is a better cam choice what would that be?

Thanks, Guy

If you're retaining the stock exhaust manifolds, you'll need a split profile cam. I didn't look those up, but if they're split, then they may work for ya

Do I have to go with a dual profile? I have a couple of friends who say that the HP manifolds flow pretty decent. Plus the stealth heads flow better than stock.

The Mopar HP manifolds were better than practically any other stock manifold from any of the "big 3". But part of what made them work so well was the fact that, from the factory, Mopar used a split profile cam. This just makes a good thing better.

So CAN you use a square cam with manifolds? Yes. But a square cam will work better with headers, and a split cam will work better (relative to a square cam) with manifolds.

That being said, if you're wanting some lump-te-lump noise then go with a bumpy cam and headers. But if "stealth" is really what you're going for, then you might consider running one of Bob Karakashian's "stock" cams. I ran one in my Certified Pure Stock Six Pack Challenger and ran [email protected] on Goodyear PolyGlas tires. And with traction and some "none stock" engine work it can run much faster. Sounds a little different than stock, pulls lots of vacuum at idle (important if you have power brakes) and works really well with manifolds.

If you want I can give you Bob's number.

The lump-de-lump isn't that important. I want it to run. The stealth is important to me, are the cams you are talking about hyd rollers? If so I would like the number for the man.

Stock ehaust manifolds that flow really well also fall in line with;

Militay intell is good. (Well, go ask Bush about it!)
I won't *&%$ in your mouth
The check is in the mail
Area 51
I'll be the ruler of the world in Nov. because everyone is falling for my evil plan.

Seriously!
Split duration cams are very good to use in most cases. Exhaust manifolded engines are one of them!

funny....

Nope. Bob's cam is a regular hydraulic cam, cause it's made to be run in a "Certified Stock" motor. and for that it all has to be "as" O.E.

So can I get a custom ground hyd roller or do I have to get hedders? Let me add a custom ground hyd roller for under $450.

The Comp XR274HR-10 specs read like this.
Intake Duration at .050 is 224
Exhaust at .050 is 230
Intake lift is .538
Exhaust lift is .534

You don't want more lift/duration on the intake side unless you're running a Hemi. And yes, I would think you could get a custom roller whipped up. Maybe Comp cams already has a split cam they could grind in a roller for ya.

There is a guy named Dwayne Porter. He goes by Fast68plymouth on Moparts.
You could give him a PM over there or here is his shop phone #(802) 951-1955
Dwayne knows his mopars and can spec a custom cam for you and sell you everything you need for it. The cam I'm running in my 440 was his custom grind.
I'm happy with it. He is a good guy and knows his stuff. Its a better way to go then letting the Comp guys spec it.

Cam choice with stealth heads

The spring retainers the stealth heads come with Std. are 6 degree if you are going bigger than 500 lift order them with the 10 degree retainers. From experience need some 6 degree retainers?

Auto Transport Service
Back