• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will removing a distributor cause gears engaged w/ distributors to shift?

jogirob

Local time
8:13 PM
Reaction score
I just want to ensure that as long I index my rotor position everything will be fine. I saw a YouTube video where the guy mentioned gears within the engine shifting once the distributor shaft if lifted out and having to manually crank the engine to get #1 at TDC.

The OEM manual warns that if the engine is cranked while the distributor is out timing would have to be set but it doesn't mention anything about self shifting gears.

I'm taking off the oil pressure sending unit on a 360 and like anything else so far it can't be as simple as removing the component itself!

The gears don't move but the rotor will turn a bit when pulled. The gears are cut at an angle so the rotor will move when you pull out the dist body. Just place the rotor in the same location as pulled and you should be able to put it back into place without having to move the engine. Mark the body to the block and mark the rotor location on the upper body of the distributor so that you are sure to keep things like they were. Pulling the dizzy very seldom upsets the intermediate shaft but it is possible. If it does, if you marked it like I mentioned, you should be able to get things back together like they were without much trouble. Btw, I've pulled the oil sender before without removing the dizzy....it is harder but can be done.

Last edited:
The gears don't move but the rotor will turn a bit when pulled. The gears are cut at an angle so the rotor will move when you pull out the dist body. Just place the rotor in the same location as pulled and you should be able to put it back into place without having to move the engine. Mark the body to the block and mark the rotor location on the upper body of the distributor so that you are sure to keep things like they were. Pulling the dizzy very seldom upsets the intermediate shaft but it is possible. If it does, if you marked it like I mentioned, you should be able to get things back together like they were without much trouble. Btw, I've pulled the oil sender before without removing the dizzy....it is harder but can be done.
Thanks for the pro tips. Haven't tried removing the oil sender just yet but that vacuum chamber seems to be in the way enough to prevent me from unscrewing the sender more than about an inch. I'll give it a shot!

I also clean the base of dist and the area of the block around dist base. Then put a piece from base to block and slit tape so I can remove dist without moving the tape. This way when you put dist back in align the tape and timing will be very close to what it was. No dicking around on start up.

Thanks for the pro tips. Haven't tried removing the oil sender just yet but that vacuum chamber seems to be in the way enough to prevent me from unscrewing the sender more than about an inch. I'll give it a shot!
Just turn the distributor and then reset it and check the timing?

I just want to ensure that as long I index my rotor position everything will be fine. I saw a YouTube video where the guy mentioned gears within the engine shifting once the distributor shaft if lifted out and having to manually crank the engine to get #1 at TDC.!

Just remember if it is a stick car to put it in neutral first and block the wheels/set E brake or you could move it just by leaning over the front of the car......what? I don't know how big his belly is LOL!

Just turn the distributor and then reset it and check the timing?
And if you don't have a timing light, mark the base of the distributor + the engine block so you can put the distributor back into the same place.

Oh wow, these oil senders aren't threaded in that deep at all. I was able to remove it with everything in place without a problem. Good to know about all these distributor tips and tricks though.

And yes not only do I not have a timing light but the last thing this poor car needs is this n00b trying to set timing.

Any way you cut this once the distrib is moved it has to be set. Either by a mark or a light.

Auto Transport Service
Back