• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Window wont roll up or down

68HAVOK

Local time
6:43 AM
Reaction score
I have an apointment tomorrow to see why my drivers side quarter window wont roll up or down (currently up though). I purchased a window roller replacement kit for it but have a few questions. Obviously I am going to have them replace the rollers but not sure if that is even the problem. Anyone know what the cause is from previous experience? Also if anyone out there has had a glass shop do this for them how much to total ran them? What other parts could be the issue? 1968 Satellite 2 door hard top. Thanks guys!

Could be a few things, I will tell you this though I have removed and installed a few, and its not fun, take out the back seat, int quarter panel cover, then you need a 9 year old asian girls hands to get in there and work on anything. I personally would send the job to a resto shop with a good service department, the hourly may be a bit more but the techs should be more inclined to do the job. UNless you have a good old school glass guy, but most of these guys are just glue jockeys. And with a resto shop if it is an issue where you may need a little tack weld or something fabbed up, they will be able to do it on sight, vs a glass shop is going to have you come pick it up and send it to a welder...

Just my thoughts on it, I think I personally would pull the seat out, and panel off myself, I am a big donkey so I would take the front seat out too for that side, and maybe if you do that you can see the issue with some light and 10-12 mirrors, lol.. I hate them fking 1/4 windows, once you work on one you will know why post cars do a bit more money, lol... But looking in there yourself you can see what kind of job its going to be and maybe order any parts that are faulty ahead of sending the car and having it laid up...

PS- to answer your question I am thinking 1 hour to get to the problem, 1 hour to fix it, and 1 hour to put it all back together, so depending on their rate, 3 hours+ at $75 is $225 ish, at the low end, double that at the high end...

Lack of lubrication everything is dried out you may not need rollers but a really good inspection is due do not force the window it is not fun in there you may be able to get in there and lubricate each of the glides and tracks as well as the regulator itself

Depending upon how mechanically inclined you are, you may want to tackle this yourself. Or as Seventy said to save some cash, take out the back seat, upper garnish molding, and door card ahead of time before bringing the car to a shop. You may even discover the problem before diving in too deep.
For reference check out my thread below, post #208

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?75162-My-69-Coronet-project/page11

If you plan on doing it yourself, here's a couple of tips:
- Do only one side at a time
- Paint witness marks before starting and also take lots of pictures

If the handle rotates, but nothing happens, the stationary gear part of the regulator could be stripped.

Yeesh, I glanced over the posts here and caught, Asian girls, lubrication, stripped and $75. I think I may need some help... :laughing9:

My experience was that the regulator itself was frozen up after years of sitting. If you can remove the regulator, carefully drill out the 3 rivets that fasten the crank arm axle assembly. There is a spring and drum in the housing that will seize. This is a brake that keeps the window from falling when you adjust it. Lube the assembly, reattach the housing and test. HTH

At the ol' glass shop now. This is an old establish glass shop and the only one who would even think of taking the job. Brought a new quarter window rebuild kit with me for the guys and we shall see what happens. I'll keep ya updated. They have a cool old ride out front... 20151030_141239.jpg

Where on the left coast is this?

It's in Modesto Ca. The town American Graffiti was based on. George Lucas went to high school here.

I know where it is, in the agricultural arm pit of Ca. I used to live in Merdead.

Both quarters now work like new! Total cost was 220 and the one that was stuck was due to the stop inside being passed. It was caught. Thanks to all for the information and support. Probably going to have the doors windows reworked and rebuilt next. Always a pleasure to have all windows working smoothly.

I know where it is, in the agricultural arm pit of Ca. I used to live in Merdead.

You have such a wonderful way with words. I take it you don't eat produce or fruit? I'm going to look at my food in a whole new way now. Thank you...

Auto Transport Service
Back